+ Reply to Thread

Default Updates on Histogen?

They said they were starting clinical trials this month, anyone know whats the latest with them?

with their pitifully low funding i wouldn't hold my breath. if they actually have something to show then investors are going to drop some serious $$ but until then future looks bleak.

Default A news article

This is from the following link: http://www.xconomy.com/san-diego/201...ess-treatment/

Few life sciences companies have gotten as much mileage from a pilot trial that enrolled two dozen patients as San Diego’s Histogen, a startup developing a variety of therapies derived from human cells that are grown in the laboratory. On the other hand, we have discovered at Xconomy that the appetite for news about potential treatments for baldness is unusually high.

Histogen has announced a one-year follow-up study of 24 patients who participated in an experiment using its Hair Stimulating Complex, or HSC, shows “statistically significant” new hair growth. Participants in the study, which was done in Honduras, also showed a statistically significant increase in hair density.

The latest findings basically extend results that Histogen reported last July from the study, in which HSC, which consists of certain proteins and other molecules secreted by human fibroblast cells grown in a laboratory culture, was injected just below the scalp. The persistence is what’s significant in the latest study, Histogen founder and CEO, Gail Naughton, tells me by phone.

“Most of the experts asked, ‘How long will it last before hairs drop off?’ ” she says. Naughton adds that currently approved treatments for baldness, such as finasteride (Propecia) or monoxidil (Rogaine), must be used every day to prevent hair loss. She maintains that Histogen’s treatment appears to have some lasting effect, at least in 85 percent of these patients.

Histogen Study Results
    Histogen laid off all 36 of its employees last year after its fund-raising efforts were knocked into a hat when a cross-town rival, Carlsbad, CA-based SkinMedica, filed a patent infringement lawsuit against the startup. With the case still pending, Naughton says Histogen managed to raise additional funding needed to keep a core group of 12 employees working, and to support the follow-up research. Since my last update three months ago, Naughton says Histogen also has gotten a commitment for substantial funding needed to underwrite additional research in Singapore.

Ah balls. I hadn't read that. Doesn't sound anymore effective than finasteride but I thibk they can try different dosing. If they had any 'cosmetically significant' improvement you can be sure they'd be showing it to investors. Since investors seem few and far between then I think this one could be a dud. Suppose it will take a year from now before we'll know which way this one is going to go.

Default David Nassif Joins Histogen as President and CFO

Not much in this latest news release from Histogen other than they mention Phase I/II are about to begin.

May 26, 2011: "Histogen welcomes Mr. Nassif as the Company prepares for the start of its Phase I/ II clinical trial of HSC for hair growth, raises additional capital and directs new focus on achieving business development goals."

source: http://www.histogen.com/aboutus/news_events.htm#25

Keep the faith fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by restoreit View Post
    Not much in this latest news release from Histogen other than they mention Phase I/II are about to begin.

May 26, 2011: "Histogen welcomes Mr. Nassif as the Company prepares for the start of its Phase I/ II clinical trial of HSC for hair growth, raises additional capital and directs new focus on achieving business development goals."

Keep the faith fellas.
    Finally some good news. Now let's seem them get cracking on this.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    with their pitifully low funding i wouldn't hold my breath. if they actually have something to show then investors are going to drop some serious $$ but until then future looks bleak.
    Ahhhhh finally one of Havoks finest ^^

Quote Originally Posted by restoreit View Post

Keep the faith fellas.
    Thanks for the update restoreit!!