+ Reply to Thread

Default 22 Years Old. Please look @ Pic and say if Im balding.

First of all let me say, that having read this site, I can see that some people are unfortunate to lose all of their hair by the age of 20. That is sad, and I sympathize with those people.

I realize I am fortunate to have a relatively good head of hair.

However Ive noticed lately, people comment on my pics and say I have a "receding hairline".

I am 22, in perfect health. My father kept his hair up until 60 years old. My Grandfather (Father's side) still has a full head of hair and he is 80 year old. My father's side has no baldness.

My mother's brothers, about half of them are semi-bald.

So baldness exists in terms of my uncles from mother's side. (It seems that they became bald first above the temples and with a receding hairline).

Please look at my pics and tell me if you think I am balding:

As a final note let me say that I usually have very thick hair. If I dont cut my hair, it is very thick and almost curls naturally. My hair is not thin at all, in fact it is very thick.

Thanks and I really appreciate people answering.

If you feel I am showing signs of balding, how long until it gets much worse?

I am 22 now.

The hair of the top of my head is fine.

Its just above my temples, at the edges of my forehead that I apparently have a "receding hairline"

Is it true? Obvious? How bad? Will it get worse over time? How much time?

Quote Originally Posted by GQAhmet View Post
    The hair of the top of my head is fine.

Its just above my temples, at the edges of my forehead that I apparently have a "receding hairline"

Is it true? Obvious? How bad? Will it get worse over time? How much time?
    doesn't seem like you hairline is thinning but you'll have to go see a doctor to check if your hairs are miniaturizing. you have what some might call it a wide 'receding hairline' but that alone is not a good indicator of further hair loss. if you have genetic balding then your hairline will thin over time. nobody can predict at what rate they will thin out. you may show signs of heading towards norwood 6/7 as early as you turn 25 or it to start at age 30 or 40 or 50 etc. since your hair loss is not obvious, i doubt you'll find an adequate answer online. in fact, i doubt you can without a doctor personally examining you under the microscope.

It looks like what we call a 'mature hairline' to me. In adulthood - sometimes early adulthood - the temples can recede a bit and then the process doesn't go any further.

Do you have any old photos for comparison?
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Slightly receding temples that can also be a matured hairline.

Ask your doctor or a dermatologist just to be sure.

Does look like a maturing hairline to me too. Otherwise you do have a good head of hair. A good method to tell how much your hairline has changed is to look at old photos of yourself and see if there is a difference. You could even post them here if you want the forums opinion. Don't think you are balding. People loss hair at various rates so, a tough question to answer. Though looking at the hairline of the men in your family would help give you a clue as to what yours will look like in years to come.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GQAhmet View Post
    First of all let me say, that having read this site, I can see that some people are unfortunate to lose all of their hair by the age of 20. That is sad, and I sympathize with those people.

I realize I am fortunate to have a relatively good head of hair.

However Ive noticed lately, people comment on my pics and say I have a "receding hairline".

I am 22, in perfect health. My father kept his hair up until 60 years old. My Grandfather (Father's side) still has a full head of hair and he is 80 year old. My father's side has no baldness.

My mother's brothers, about half of them are semi-bald.

So baldness exists in terms of my uncles from mother's side. (It seems that they became bald first above the temples and with a receding hairline).

Please look at my pics and tell me if you think I am balding:

As a final note let me say that I usually have very thick hair. If I dont cut my hair, it is very thick and almost curls naturally. My hair is not thin at all, in fact it is very thick.

Thanks and I really appreciate people answering.

If you feel I am showing signs of balding, how long until it gets much worse?

I am 22 now.
    As another poster suggested, watch out for miniaturization. If miniaturization begins to happen, decide how much you don't want to be bald later in life. I have seen some decent success when patients stay on Propecia or Avodart. Sometimes you just have to try one or the other to see if you can tolerate the side effects. Our patient today started losing his hair when he was 15. He went on Propecia for a while then switched to Avodart. At 35 his hair looks pretty darn good considering his early hair loss and his brother who is a norwood 6.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck