+ Reply to Thread

Default Quality of propecia hair?

I've been hearing that hair when on propecia can be low quality/pubic type hair. Can propecia users enlighten me on this issue please?

thanks

A lot of Propecia users report that their hair seems healthier than when they began taking it. It can thicken up miniaturizing hair. I don't recall hearing that it can actually change hair texture for the worse.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I'm 28 and have been taking Propecia now for over two years. I haven't noticed a marked change in the quality or feel of my hair. Definitely doesn't feel or look like pubes are on my scalp, thank goodness. The Propecia is definitely slowing down the hair loss greatly but it's not stopping it altogether. My hair on top is still very thin compared to the hair on the sides.

Hey jnelson, I am thinking about starting taking propecia. I am 29 and my hair loss has gotten worst in past few months. Can you please tell me about your experience on this drug. Pros and cons ..

Hey Rupi, I've been taking Propecia for over two years now. It's defintiely helping by slowing down the hair loss but it hasn't completely stopped the hair loss. It's drastically delaying the male pattern baldness so I'll continue taking it. If money is not a deal breaker then it's absolutely worth trying.

Pros: You don't have to worry about mixing it with other medicines or alcohol, not being able to take it on an empty stomach, etc. Just take it once a day and you're good. I've lowered my dosage down to 3 times a week instead of 7 times a week. I started out doing 7 times a week for the first 18 months, then lowered it down to three because my derm recommended it. He's been doing 3 times a week for over three years and hasnt' noticed any difference. Note: If you start Propecia, I highly recommend doing the daily (7 times/week) dosage for the first 12-18 months. If it's working and you decide to continue you may decide to play around with lowering the dosage in an effort to stem any side effects, save money, but while not reducing the effectiveness. Again, I haven't noticed any difference between 7x/week versus 3x/week but that may not be the case for others.

Cons: I had some mild ED side effects. I noticed it probably after a month or two of taking the drug. By no means anything serious...but there was definitely something different going on down there. It wasn't enough to stop taking the drug but it put me on edge for a while. That is the main reason I lowered the dosage to 3x/week. Since then I really haven't noticed the side effects.

All in all, it's worth trying. The sooner you start taking Propecia the less hair you'll lose. If you have major ED issues, just stop taking it and the side effects will stop.

I also use Bosley shampoo and conditioner and I use Maxihair supplements (found on Amazon; it's basically a bunch of Vit B). Not sure if these are really adding any additional benefit to the Propecia but it's worth the peace of mind: knowing that I'm doing whatever I can to stop the hair loss.

Hey Nelson, thanks for the reply.

I am seeing a doctor in 3 days and will ask him if I should start propecia. As I am in the initial stages of losing my hair, I am hoping I can benefit from it, also will start using rogaine. Only after consulting the doctor first. I have also bought the hairmax laser comb, like you said its about being proactive and doing all we can do avoid/delay this disaster.

About the side effects. I have read so much about sexual side effect while being on propecia, mostly people complain about loss of libido. How about trying to counter it will all the libido booster foods, there are about 10-15 foods that are proved to be aphrodisiacs. I will definitely, incorporate those foods in my diet on daily basis, once I start.

Good luck to you !