+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

film A Grieving Mother's Warning About Propecia

A Grieving Mother's Warning About Propecia

That’s a very sad story. My heart goes out to this young man’s family.

Christ....

Inactive

Impacts (FIN related) are coming closer and closer ...... this is so not good

This is a very sad story indeed, but how can the media or anyone blame this kid’s death 100% on Propecia? How do we know how depressed he was before he took it? How do we know that he didn’t start taking the drug after being depressed about his hair loss and then began reading propeciahelp which can send anyone over the edge. There could have been a multitude of issues that led to this suicide. He had to have been very fragile to begin with, which does not minimize this tragic story, but probably played a big role in the kid’s death. When you’re 20 years old and depressed your mind can really run away with what you read on the internet. He might have thought that his side effects would never go away based on the stories on propeciahelp. It’s so sad because the odds are he would have recovered eventually. Does anyone know if he wrote about suicide on propeciahelp? Did the site owner contact the authorities if he did? This story breaks my heart.

I think this is his thread on propeciahelp:

http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/vi...php?f=3&t=1742

Oh man this story is insanely sad...

But like Zao said, how do they think that Propecia is what did it? Even in that thread, he blames Dutasteride more than Propecia. I think it's just because propecia has such a bad rap right now in the media.

He also says he had things like full blown psychosis, a bleeding penis, bleeding perineum and a severe drug problem. It looks like hes had some other severe problems, maybe even from before starting on these drugs. It might be tru that taking the drugs just made the mental problems worse..

i think there is much more to this story than what the video shows. I dont want to disrespect his memory or his family's suffering at all, but it really sounds like he had some severe problems, maybe that were just made worse by these drugs. I dont know..

Zao, members on propeciahelp regularly talk about suicide from what i can see. In this guys posts, he said that he wanted to die multiple times. It sounds like many, many of these guys are suicidal. I hope to god no more choose to take the same path

Inactive

I have read through several of Randy's posts but never communicated with him since he stopped using Propecia Help in 2008, before I had ever taken Propecia. He did take dutasteride for hairloss (and finasteride) which is also a 5-AR inhibitor like finasteride and saw palmetto. The drugs are very similar but dutasteride was never approved for hairloss and quietly pulled during clinical trials.

In many of Randy's posts, he states his misery stemmed from the cognitive and psychological effects that were a result of his 5-AR inhibitor use. I fortunately did not experience the psychological effects in the same way that he did so I won't comment from experience, but many of the men who do describe it as much worse than than the impotence. There was a period for a few months right after stopping Propecia where I had panic attacks, anxiety, and irrational mood swings for no perceptible reasons, but they subsided after 5 months perhaps due to some kind of partial equilibration. I may be mistaken, but I think the cognitive effects tend to fade much more often than the sexual effects although for Randy it seems as they lasted 3+ years with no signs of submission.

Quote Originally Posted by PropeciaVictim View Post
    I have read through several of Randy's posts but never communicated with him since he stopped using Propecia Help in 2008, before I had ever taken Propecia. He did take dutasteride for hairloss (and finasteride) which is also a 5-AR inhibitor like finasteride and saw palmetto. The drugs are very similar but dutasteride was never approved for hairloss and quietly pulled during clinical trials.

In many of Randy's posts, he states his misery stemmed from the cognitive and psychological effects that were a result of his 5-AR inhibitor use. I fortunately did not experience the psychological effects in the same way that he did so I won't comment from experience, but many of the men who do describe it as much worse than than the impotence. There was a period for a few months right after stopping Propecia where I had panic attacks, anxiety, and irrational mood swings for no perceptible reasons, but they subsided after 5 months perhaps due to some kind of partial equilibration. I may be mistaken, but I think the cognitive effects tend to fade much more often than the sexual effects although for Randy it seems as they lasted 3+ years with no signs of submission.
    Same here, I know Saw Palmetto doesn't do much for hair loss but when I took it I did notice my sex drive improve quite considerably... as for finasteride... I'd never touch the stuff, there are jus wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many forum users out ther ive seen who are taking testosterone therapy after ruining their hormonal balances through using finasteride.

We can all agree that his is a tragic story, but there was obviously a lot more to this. He admits to having a “major” drug and alcohol problem that led to Beriberi syndrome which is so rare even among very heavy drinkers.

This is what he writes in one of his propeciahelp posts
    “How many people would describe themselves as moderate/heavy drinkers? I developed Beriberi Syndrome from alcohol use while these symptoms occurred. Once I started getting Thiamin injections the effects got slightly better-- hard to ferret it all out though."

This kid had to have been consuming an enormous amount of alcohol and barley eating any nutritious foods. Symptoms of Beriberi syndrome include
    Difficulty walking
    Loss of feeling (sensation) in hands and feet
    Loss of muscle function or paralysis of the lower legs
    Mental confusion/speech difficulties
    Psychosis
    Pain
    Strange eye movements (nystagmus)
    Tingling
    Vomiting
    Awakening at night short of breath
    Increased heart rate
    Shortness of breath with activity
    Swelling of the lower legs
    A person with late-stage beriberi may be confused or have memory loss and delusions. The person may be less able to sense vibrations.

I also find this weird, and why didn’t the reporters address this in the story?

“I'm no longer human-- I don't belong here. I'm really hoping this drug kills me so I don't have to do it myself. I don't think my family and friends would ever understand a suicide but if they really knew the meaningless ghostly hell I've decended into then they would understand.

**** DUTASTERIDE!”

He was taking dutasteride when he said he had the worst side effects, not propecia.

This is such a tragedy, but do you guys think it's honest to blame propecia for this and why would the media see fit to do so? This makes me really think twice before believing anything I see on the news.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    This is such a tragedy, but do you guys think it's honest to blame propecia for this and why would the media see fit to do so? This makes me really think twice before believing anything I see on the news.
    The media oversimplified his background since the average reader would be bored with details on the distinctions between 5-AR inhibitors. He took dutasteride and finasteride at different chronological times, but they basically all serve the same function in the human body. It is wise to read the news with a critical mindset, but this report is pretty straight forward.

In many of Randy's posts he made it clear that the effects of 5-ARIs were clearly causing the majority of his grief and trauma. It really doesn't seem like there is any ambiguity. His parents, who obviously spoke with him personally, attributed 5ARIs as the main cause.

"Dutasteride erased my "soul". The ONLY positive side of this is that I also don't feel any negative emotions otherwise I would have already killed myself. I will give it more time but I have no reason to exist if this persists."