+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 210 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 161 ... LastLast

Thread: Replicel

At one year, a statistically significant increase in total hair count (P=0.032) continued to be seen.
    sounds like some new hair were grown...

Histogen's HSC is currently being developed and evaluated an injectable for hair growth. The combination of Wnt proteins and growth factors making up the formulation have been shown to both stimulate resting hair follicles and induce new follicle formation.

You definitely seem on the optimistic side 2020. I guess I was too this time last year. I'd say I'm moving more towards a realistic opinion of all cell based therapy and the hoopla that surrounds it. I think the fact that I've see no substantial updates, results or progress in the last year that I've been coming here has soured me somewhat on the rate of progress. It's painfully slow.

Could be talking through my hoop here but I think Histogen are an eternity away from having anything ready. The first to market will be Aderans I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    Could be talking through my hoop here but I think Histogen are an eternity away from having anything ready. The first to market will be Aderans I'm sure.
    wait? Quite the opposite - Histogen will probably be the first.

http://www.histogen.com/products/clinical_status.htm

Phase 2 is due by end of this year (December). If it's successful, then they may not even need phase 3 and they could probably release their treatment in Singapore or whatever earlier.

Highly doubt they'll have phase 2 done and dusted by December. Maybe that was the timeline before they experienced some delays. By the looks of the site though they're sticking to their guns re 2015. It will definitely need phase 3 completion for release in the Western Hemisphere. I'm convinced though that we won't see anything until 2016 (Aderans). But hey on the plus side that's 4 years and not the eternal 5.

I dont know if anyone has brought this up, but after considering purchasing stock in this company I started doing some research...my worry is this...the injections that they did on the mice were done on SCID mice (Severe combined immunodeficiency). these mice are commonly tested on...they cannot fight infection...they also transplant tumors into them because they cannot reject the tumors...maybe this is the case with the cells. maybe they cant reject them and that is why the treatment works on them...maybe human immune systems will reject the cells?...just a thought

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_...ncy_(non-human)

Quote Originally Posted by eeeuuu View Post
    I dont know if anyone has brought this up, but after considering purchasing stock in this company I started doing some research...my worry is this...the injections that they did on the mice were done on SCID mice (Severe combined immunodeficiency). these mice are commonly tested on...they cannot fight infection...they also transplant tumors into them because they cannot reject the tumors...maybe this is the case with the cells. maybe they cant reject them and that is why the treatment works on them...maybe human immune systems will reject the cells?...just a thought

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_...ncy_(non-human)
    Interesting question. I don't know if rejection would be a problem since they are using your own cells.

There is much success in the autologous world, so the chance you would reject your own cells is very low. Something would have had to go wrong in the multiplication process.

I dont know much about it, its just a thought that crossed my mind...Im still gonna buy the stock lol

eeeuuu, As you correctly state, there are big differences in results in testing between mice and humans and I'm sure at least one of reasons is the lack of an immune response in the mice. However, not only is NotBelievingIt correct regarding the fact that this process is autologous and therefore has a very low chance of an immune response, but if you google the intitial experiments of Jahoda, I believe they found that the DSC cells were immune privileged. Here is an exceprt:

More recently in 1999, researchers, led by Colin Jahoda at Durham University in Britain, took cells at the bottom of hair follicles from Jahoda's own scalp and from a colleague's. These cells from the dermal papilla were then transplanted into the forearm of Jahoda's wife, Amanda Reynolds. Within five weeks, the transplanted tissue - no bigger than the head of a pin - made a total of five fully grown hairs in Amanda's arm. This simple experiment shows the potential of being able to induce new hair follicles in human skin.

Even more interesting from the scientific point of view is that the hair follicles were made in a woman using cells derived from a man. Normally the foreign cells would be rejected by the recipient. But the scientists suspect the cells taken from the base of follicle may have some type of immune privilege which allows them to mix with foreign cells. So instead of being rejected by the woman's immune system, the male cells interacted with her cells to create new follicles. So it may be possible to use dermal papilla cells from one human source to induce hair follicles in another individual without the cells being rejected as foreign.

@PinotQ:

That excerpt you quoted - correct me if im wrong as im going way back to 2007 when I read that - but wasnt that the research that led to the start-up of the Manchester based Intercytex?

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    Phase 2 is due by end of this year (December). If it's successful, then they may not even need phase 3 and they could probably release their treatment in Singapore or whatever earlier.
    According to what source?