+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 17 years old, and I can't tell if im balding or in denial, please look at pics.

Keep in mind, I have ALWAYS had thin hair, since my elementary days.

seems like early sign of thinning. does your family have a any history of men who went bald?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    seems like early sign of thinning. does your family have a any history of men who went bald?
    My brother was balding, my father was balding, my uncle on my father's side were balding, my uncle on my mother's side had a full head of hair in all the pictures I seen, and my mother's father had a pretty good head of hair for his age, and I have ALOT of cousins well past their 30s, who in my opinion, don't have a horrible head of hairs. They definitely have some loss though.

I just don't know what route to take. I don't know if I should start Rogaine and consider Propecia or what. I'm hoping I don't even have androgenic alopecia, but if I do, i'm confused on whether I should start treating this problem early or not. I don't understand how people could bald so young anyways.....

Quote Originally Posted by Samiam View Post
    My brother was balding, my father was balding, my uncle on my father's side were balding, my uncle on my mother's side had a full head of hair in all the pictures I seen, and my mother's father had a pretty good head of hair for his age, and I have ALOT of cousins well past their 30s, who in my opinion, don't have a horrible head of hairs. They definitely have some loss though.

I just don't know what route to take. I don't know if I should start Rogaine and consider Propecia or what. I'm hoping I don't even have androgenic alopecia, but if I do, i'm confused on whether I should start treating this problem early or not. I don't understand how people could bald so young anyways.....
    I'd firstly see a dermo - if he/she agrees you have MPB then (this is supposed to be the point where I recommend Propecia, but I am not going to), if you wanna risk the sexual side effects then do it, use it to hold out until a better treatment (Aderans/Histogen) can grow your hair back and keep what you have already.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    I'd firstly see a dermo - if he/she agrees you have MPB then (this is supposed to be the point where I recommend Propecia, but I am not going to), if you wanna risk the sexual side effects then do it, use it to hold out until a better treatment (Aderans/Histogen) can grow your hair back and keep what you have already.
    -_- I went and saw my dermatologist. All he said was, "well, if you're brother was balding than you don't want to risk it, I would recommend starting rogaine if you don't want to lose any hairs." I mean, he didn't even give me a straight up answer to whether he thinks i'm balding or not. On top of that, he said Rogaine blocks the DHT in my head, and it would never stop being effective, over the course of years that I would use it, if I decided to. He also said he didn't want to put me on any pills because i'm too young. I thought they could do some kind of miniaturization test to tell for sure?

-_- I went and saw my dermatologist. All he said was, "well, if you're brother was balding than you don't want to risk it, I would recommend starting rogaine if you don't want to lose any hairs." I mean, he didn't even give me a straight up answer to whether he thinks i'm balding or not. On top of that, he said Rogaine blocks the DHT in my head, and it would never stop being effective, over the course of years that I would use it, if I decided to. He also said he didn't want to put me on any pills because i'm too young. I thought they could do some kind of miniaturization test to tell for sure?
    Yes they map your hair loss, but if it runs in your family then it is likely you have MPB, and it seems like the dermo is telling you that you do have MPB by telling you to try rogaine. I am not sure about the efficacy of rogaine over time, I have heard the scalp hairs you save using it become dependent upon the drug and fall when you stop using, same with propecia.

I am thinking of starting Propecia but I really dont wanna risk the sides, damn how I wish there was atleast another option out there for us, Histogen are still 5 years away and so too are Aderans, thats all we have, and who knows if they're even successful aswel! By that time anyway ill be full NW5-6 probably. Lifes a bitch.

Someone in my family got married the other week, out of the blue 3 months ago we get told - on the wedding day I first saw him, saw the first signs of what appeared to be MPB, noticable crown thinning and the classic M shape hair line receding slightly, maybe reading into it a little too much, but I think his hair loss may have contributed to his steadfast proposal n marriage lol.

Hair loss affects more people in many ways than the general public are aware - the only thing is, is that you have to suffer from it to see what it causes! Before I had hair loss I hardly cared if people were bald or not! Now im a hair loss sufferer I find myself looking at how bald people are (ive had the "selfish speech"), if people are thinning etc etc - you will start to do this aswel lol - The general public have typically (throughout history) tied hair loss to a 'malestream' form of social acceptance - that; "you're a man, deal with it", it seems that MPB just doesn't quite fit into this "new age", this"new world" we're living in today, people men, women and even kids, CARE about their appearences, the judgement of how we look and present ourselves is becoming a more prominent factor in the "survival of the fittest" of this world - welcome.... to our cold cold world brother.

Can't you ease your self into finasteride? Buy a pill cutter and test it out, not taking the full dosage. I mean it can't hurt to try it right. Might as well until these new solutions come out.

Can't you ease your self into finasteride? Buy a pill cutter and test it out, not taking the full dosage. I mean it can't hurt to try it right. Might as well until these new solutions come out.
    Its just the possibility of permanent sexual dysfunction that puts me off, easing yourself in doesn't really help yr gonna have to up the dose after the 24 month point to 5mg when the MPB process begins to accelerate - its at that point you have to be really lucky to miss sexual sides.

What the hell might order me some and give it a shot, I dont wanna be bald! lol.

Arghhh the new treatments!!! All those pipelines!!! Intercytex et al - they always let us down - something always comes up its so annoying - there would be such a huge market for a treatment! I hope Histogen can pull something off, they grew 85 new hairs in a 1.47cm2 section of a NW6 scalp - hope they do it, ill be off to Asia the day its released.

So these new solutions seem promising? I mean, do they seem any different than w/e miracle solution was supposed to happen say 10 years ago? I would hope so, I mean, it's horribly unlucky to be stuck with MPB, but I guess it would still be ok to live in the generation where they find a solution to it.

Looks thinner than my hair at the back. I definitely think there might be some thinning. Go see a good doctor