Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SE19
    • Aug 2010

1mg v 5mg Finasteride

Hello, I was previously on Finasteride 1mg for a year, think it may have just slowed down my balding. I then switched to Dut but am seeing too many side effects.

I was wondering if I would benefit from a higher dose of Finasteride, for example 5mg? would this be more effective than the 1mg I was previously taking?

many thanks
  • Havok
    • Apr 2011

there's a possibility that it could help as there's been a study showing that it does help for some. you have to be patient with those meds because it can take a while to see the real benefit for some.

btw not sure why but i've been prescribed 1/3rd of 5mg finasteride/day by Dr. Bernstein so i guess it's different for everyone. he asked me about my weight well i'm 6'4" 245lbs so i guess body mass has something to do with it. i would talk to a reputable hair restoration doctor.

Comment

• Spex
      Dr Representative
      • Nov 2008

SE19,

See chart - increasing the amoutn will not really have any benefit - possibly tweak it upto 1.25mg however 5mg daily is OVERKILL in my honest opinion and you will more than likely experience no increased benefit yet run the risk of increased side effects.

Best
      Spex
      Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• SE19
        • Aug 2010

Thank you for your response, the graph was really helpful in answering my question.
        I have since cut my dose on dut down to 0.5 every other day and the sides are wearing off. Would you recommend I now stay on dut?
        Is there a good chance it could be more beneficial for me even when propecia was not?

Many thanks

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
          IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
          • Nov 2008

I agree with first trying to alter the dosage before swithing the medication. Most would agree that you should give at least 6 months for medication to have a adaquate chance to work. Of course you wont wait that long to make a change in dose or medication if you are experiencing nasty side effects.
          Dr. Glenn Charles
          Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
          View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• steve66
            • Jul 2013

Hi can anyone tell me, im takeing 5mg finasteride, been on it now nearly 4 months, which is better, the 1mg dose are the 5mg dose?

im 55 years old, still got alot of hair, and been looseng it from age of 18
            im useing

1 nizarol shampoo 2%
            2 kirkland minoxidil
            3 hairmax laser every other day
            4 5mg finasteride

can anyone recomend anything as with the dose of finateride m takeing
            allso my hair is thinning all over, and at the crown and temples
            any replys would be great.

Comment

• Spex
              Dr Representative
              • Nov 2008

Steve,

Welcome. See the chart above. You will be receiving no benefits from taking more than 1 mg daily.

Have you had any side effects off 5 mg a day out of interest ?

Spex

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• steve66
                • Jul 2013

finasteride 5mg

Thanks for reply so you think id be better off on 1mg finasteride
                as to 5mg and say cutting the 5mg down into 4 halfs

Comment

• steve66
                  • Jul 2013

finasteride

Hi no have not had any side affects from 5mg finasteride, not
                  noticed any. so do you think i should cut the 5mg down into 4 pieces, and that makes it to over 1mg a day, what do you think, would that be better

Comment

• Spex
                    Dr Representative
                    • Nov 2008

so do you think i should cut the 5mg down into 4 pieces, and that makes it to over 1mg a day, what do you think, would that be better
                    This is what the vast majority of people do given 1mg is the recommended dosage. I cut 5mg into 5ths pretty easily however 1/4 is common dose too.

See this video i made on how i cut Proscr 5mg

Comment

• steve66
                      • Jul 2013

Hi thanks for video, ive got a pill cutter, the proscar are a bigger tablet, and the finasteride, are smaller in size. but ive cut 1 into fourths before, so would i be better on proscar? are just cut the finasteride.

Comment

• Spex
                        Dr Representative
                        • Nov 2008

The Proscar tablet is 5mg of Finasteride.

Therefore if you cut it into 5ths you get 1mg Finasteride = 1mg is the recommended dose

Comment

• steve66
                          • Jul 2013

thanks will start cutting the tablets, from today.
                          thanks for your help.
                          steve

Comment

• Spex
                            Dr Representative
                            • Nov 2008

No worries - All the best

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
                              IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
                              • Nov 2008

I know cutting those small tablets into 4 quarters is difficult and would imagine trying to cut them into fifths is nearly impossible.
                              Dr. Glenn Charles
                              Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
                              View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

Working...