+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Tenex,

I know how this must be like an emotional roller coaster watching the bald areas redevelop but if it be of any consolation my friend, you are right at the one month post-op mark in your progress and most patients begin to shed their grafts at this point in time, just like you. Remember, you are shedding the graft hair but not the transplanted hair follicles. They are intact and they should be safe. But they are resting for 3-4 months before the new growth cycle begins. They entered the resting phase as result of the shock and trauma of being moved from one area of scalp to the other.

What I and others reading this thread you started are looking forward to is you reporting back in 6-12 months with favorable feedback regarding your regrowth. The tough part is waiting. Once we have the surgery, we have to hurry up and wait! Tenex, if you went to a reputable doctor, have no other medical condition(s) that could affect the regrowth, you'll be fine. Don't worry.

The white pieces of tissue you were seeing appear to be the crusts which as you said, are pretty much gone, along with the hair that was attached to them. That's why you are now seeing the bald patches of scalp, nothing more. And really, you don't have to do anything to your scalp other than wait it out.

Always, always follow your doctors orders and post-op instructions. They shoild be there to provide the same level of care as they did during the procedure. Obviously they will want to know how your regrowth progresses as well.

IMHO it's okay for post-op patients at this point in time to resume their normal life style excepting strenuous weightlifting and activity. That can help keep your mind on other things.
    Thanks for your advise. what you say makes sense.

Being in my position and having thought about doing a HT for years, the money, the hair they take which creates a patch at the back of my head that I need to cover from now on and the trouble of doing it can only be justified when you know that over 90% of the transplanted hair is going to grow back.

I have actually asked the doctor and her consultants (and to my knowledge she is a good doctor and also a researcher in the field) but the problem is the answers have been vague and mixed and usually not directly answering my questions. I suppose they may go through a fair share of complaints and try to be careful with how they answer people....

I have followed the doctors advise as much as I could.

The advise was to wash my hair after 3 days with a soap-free liquid hand wash, apply minoxidil and then aqueous cream which is a again a soap-free water-based cleanser and moisturizer. I started this process from the morning of the 4th day.

My concern is not that the hair is falling now. I believe it is normal. My concern is that few days after surgery the combination of the hand-wash which I used to wash my hair and minoxidil may have dried my skin and the moisturizer may have just facilitated the process of the scabs and hair starting to come off at around 8th to 10th day post op. At the time the hair that did come off pretty much came off with the skin and scabs but now it is just the small hair.

I am refocusing on being positive, have started my exercise routine and hoping that as you said the hair that came off early on was just the scabs and the root is in fact deep inside the tissue and did not come out due to dry skin.

You guys are great, I should have discovered these boards before the HT.

Cool

Well to be perfectly honest, I have never heard of that type of post-op routine, especially applying minoxidil within several days of the surgery before the epidermis completely heals. Very high alchohol content in the inactive ingredients of minoxidil and yes that can dry out one's scalp.

But again, the follicles are not the root, but are imbeded into the sub layer and very difficult to lose at this point. Keep us in the loop once you see the new growth start in 3-4 months.

Best wishes to you Tenex...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Well to be perfectly honest, I have never heard of that type of post-op routine, especially applying minoxidil within several days of the surgery before the epidermis completely heals. Very high alchohol content in the inactive ingredients of minoxidil and yes that can dry out one's scalp.

But again, the follicles are not the root, but are imbeded into the sub layer and very difficult to lose at this point. Keep us in the loop once you see the new growth start in 3-4 months.

Best wishes to you Tenex...
    Well they were quite insistent that I use minoxidil and the water-base cream both of which accelerated the scabbing and skin/hair coming off fairly rapidly.

It is now at about a month and 10 days, I can see that about 10% of the transplanted hair is growing back. I'm still having my fingers crossed the rest will grow too.

What is the verdict on getting head massages and doing heavy exercises at this stage?

I can still feel the pain in my scalp and also my scalp is still partially numb since they cut the nerves in the process of doing the HT.

Sure, I understand. Wait on the head massages and heavy lifting activity. Those type of activities can potentially stretch your linear scar, and you do not want to deal with that.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

It is now exactly two months since the surgery. Only about 10% of the transplanted hair is coming out of the scalp and there is no visible density of hair.

Not sure where this is going from here but it's frustrating.

Doctor Representative

Quote Originally Posted by Tenex View Post
    It is now exactly two months since the surgery. Only about 10% of the transplanted hair is coming out of the scalp and there is no visible density of hair.

Not sure where this is going from here but it's frustrating.
    Hang in there Tenex. It is perfectly normal to have very little growth at this stage. It typically takes up to a full year to see the complete results for your hair transplant, though using minoxidil may speed that up some, as you will be putting more of your hair in the growth phase early on than would occur if you just late it takes its natural course.

I agree. At two months post-op most of your grafts are still resting. Yet we all look in the mirror every day looking, looking. The toughest part is waiting for the results.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net