+ Reply to Thread

Default 22 and balding fast.

Hello all. First of all I would like to introduce myself. I am a 22 year old suffering from severe MPB. My pattern is of the diffuse type, however thinning is slightly worse in the crown and temple regions. I have been using Propecia, Regaine and Nizoral for the past 9 months with no results. My hair kept on shedding at the same rate it used to. As such my balding has now progressed to a stage where it is impossible to hide and thus making living life like a normal 22 year old would almost impossible. Under most lighting conditions you are able to see through my scalp, which makes the condition horribly unattractive.

Even though I’ve been reading around that I should try the medical treatment for at least a year or even a year and a half, I am now having serious doubts that it is helping out. I am therefor starting to consider a HT. Given that my pattern will probably take me to nw6/7 in a couple of years’ time, I don’t know what to expect from a HT. Is it even possible to achieve an aesthetically pleasing result at such a young age? Thanks.

I always feel sorry and sad for every man who's going through the hell of losing his hair. I know the pain you're feeling, man. It's too bad neither minoxidil nor propecia is helping at least slow down the loss. Usually after that many months of use you should be able to see results -if those meds were going to work.

I think most people will advise you not to get an HT at that young age but if your hair loss is progressing so quickly then there's no point of waiting since you know it's not going to stop and you also know where it's going to stop at from the overall thinning you're seeing.

As far as what kind of aesthetic results you can expect from an HT, it all depends on how much donor hair you have, how big the bald area is, AND of course who's doing the HT. Obviously, if someone has a small bald area, the doctor has more than enough hair to cover it well. But for someone with a big bald area and a smaller than usual donor area or doesn't have the density in the donor area then the results aren't going to be that good but at least he won't look completely bald. All an HT does is redistribute the hair you have. So, until they come up with a way to clone hair and thus create a limitless number of hairs, for some of us an HT won't give us the fullness we dream about.

I know this is depressing but I wish I had something better to say. Unfortunately this is the reality and brutality of this great curse called baldness.

As regards to saving whatever hair is left. Should I try and increase the dose of propecia ? The dose/response curve is relatively flat but people like Spencer himself seem to get results with 5mg. Or should I try out Dutasteride?

Quote Originally Posted by baldee View Post
    As regards to saving whatever hair is left. Should I try and increase the dose of propecia ? The dose/response curve is relatively flat but people like Spencer himself seem to get results with 5mg. Or should I try out Dutasteride?
    you can't increase your dose of prop or take dutasteride just because u want to since you'll need a valid prescription from a doctor. try to get a free consultation with a good hair restoration doc.

Quote Originally Posted by baldee View Post
    It is true it seems many people are using a bigger dosage of Fin or using it daily instead of every other day and are seeing better results, but that doesn't work for every body. You can try that if you don't experience any side effects and see if that will give you better results.

If you haven't tried Dut, then why don't you give that a try too.

I think the better approach, honestly, is to wear it proudly and do absolutely nothing. Keep it short and say goodbye to it. I've had buddies your age try everything without success, and finally, they gave in, wisely. Many chicks crave the young and hipply-bald look. Your challenge will be coming to terms with the reality itself. When I was your age, I was going grey at warp speed. Very frustrating as none of my three siblings went prematurely grey in their very early twenties. You know the deal -- you'd visit someone you haven't seen in a while and they'd be staring at the profound changes on our head, rather than making eye contact with ourselves, etc. Drives me nuts. I had a few friends when I was on active duty go completely bald in their early twenties (smooth skin scalp by 25). It's easiest to just accept that it's happened man. Burn in your brain that you're bald, confident, proud, etc. I'm 33 now and struggle to admit that my hair is not brown anymore, but life does go on.

some people just don't look good without hair no matter how you look at it.

Ne-yo seriously looks like a freaking dickhead without his hat on.