+ Reply to Thread

Default Finasteride vs deutasteride side effects

If I don't have side effects with finasteride, would I most likely have no change by switching to deutasteride?

I've been lucky with no sexual side effects for 10 yrs now
    but with all the talk of side effects on here, worried about switching to deutasteride (something I'm hoping would work better than finasteride)

You will not know till you try. generally DUT can result in stronger sides due tot he nature of the drug blocking more.

It is such a personal thing however.

I met a guy recently who had been on it 7 years and had no issues at all and fathered 5 kids whilst on it So much for it effecting fertility.

Best
    S
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

I have heard deutasteride is a rather new drug. How does it work? Is there much information/research available on it?

one more question
    if I switched to deutasteride, I would at least keep whatever finasteride is doing for me right?

In other words, I can't loose by switching, only gain?

Dutasteride and finasteride (PROPECIA) are both 5-alpha-reductase (5AR) inhibitors. Both treatments work by inhibiting 5AR, the enzyme responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is the primary androgen in the prostate. It is a primary factor in the development and progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and other prostate diseases and is also a major cause of hair loss.

.5mg – 2.5mg of Dutasteride provides better results in hair maintenance/regrowth as opposed to Finasteride. However, the benefit likely comes by its higher inhibition of type II 5ar not its suppression of type I 5ar.

Merck tested a specific type I 5ar inhibitor called MK386in a human trial and found it had no effect on balding.

Jumping on the Dutasteride bandwagon before the Finasteride bandwagon is not a good idea. For most men Finasteride is enough to halt and even reverse MPB… In the off-chance your body becomes tolerant of Finasteride (over the years) you always have Dutasteride to fall back on…

Side-effects on Dutasteride may be more common, any such sides would last longer as the half-life of Dutasteride is much longer then Finasteride, and unlike type II 5ar type I 5ar is present in brain tissue. Finally, keep in mind that DHT is not an evil androgen that just causes hairloss. Various bodily functions benefit by DHT. Finasteride inhibits 65% overall DHT levels leaving 35% for your body to use (most of that 35% is derived by the type I 5ar that isnt a big factor in hairloss). Dutasteride inhibits 90% or more overall DHT levels leaving 10% or less for your body…

Basically, use Finasteride FIRST and only resort to Dutasteride if you must – This is just my opinion
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

so since theres type 1 ar in ur brain it can cause things like brain fog etc.? Any idea what other body functions require DHT.. it cant be that important as dut is relatively safe and blocks almost all DHT..

well finasteride slowed it down but never stopped it, at least on my hairline
    it got me through my 20s, now I'm 32 and I think I'll talk to my dr and get on dut instead
    I don't want slow, I want it stopped if possible, new growth would be cool too
    but just stopping it in the hairline would be great

Spex thanks for all the info!

One thing I'm worried about
    do I get a prescription for 2.5mg dut? Or does it only come in .5mg?

I take 5mg of finasteride a day
    so don't want to give up anything by going to just .5mg of dut

I've noticed some peeople continue to take finasteride as well as adding .5mg of dutasteride, not sure if this is a good thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    well finasteride slowed it down but never stopped it, at least on my hairline
    it got me through my 20s, now I'm 32 and I think I'll talk to my dr and get on dut instead
    I don't want slow, I want it stopped if possible, new growth would be cool too
    but just stopping it in the hairline would be great
    I've been on Dutasteride now for about 7 months and first started with the .5mg dose 3x a week. Didn't really see any results so I've now increased my dosage to .5mg daily. Has anyone had real success using Dutasteride and if so in what dosage?