Threaded View

Default Hair loss: 3 Problems

There are, in my opinion, 3 major problems that hair loss can create. The first of which is the fact that it can make someone look old for his age. There are very few problems that exist that make a person look 10 or 20 years older than s/he actually is. In this regard, it can change one's life significantly. How does a 20 year old go about life if he looks 40? I have asked this before, and I think it is problematic. Imagine an 18 year old girl developing the skin wrinkles of a 70 year old woman. Would people say to her, "Get over it?!" I think it takes a while to get over premature aging.

The second major problem is identity. When I began losing my hair, I had trouble recognizing myself in the mirror. I spent countless hours looking in the damn mirror. For most 18 year olds, having an adverse experience is having a bad 'hair day'. For those of us who were struck with baldness that young, it was similar to being disfigured in a car wreck - minus the physical pain. When one loses his hair so rapidly, he looks like a wholly different person.

The third problem is what it does to one's looks. Since the hair on the head, among other things, frames the face - it brings out the facial features - including eyes and cheek bones. You take away that frame, and a guy can look unattractive - which is natural. Take a look at before and after pics of guys who have worn a hairpiece or had 'good' transplant surgery; the difference is drastic. Indeed, for the most part, baldness does look like hell.

I sometimes hear people say that women are better looking than men; I mostly agree with this statement. Perhaps, like a Mercedes Benz, more time was spent designing them - whereas men were thrown together like cheap, economy cars (this would explain hairloss). This isn't always the case, however, because there are many men who are better looking than many women. Women have elaborate hair styles which make them look their best. Unlike women, men go bald, don't shave their face or shave their hair off - which make them look their worst. So, it is hard to compare the two genders.