+ Reply to Thread

Default Transplants dying !!!

Ok, this is like the 4th site I'm joining and posting on in my frantic search for an answer. I feel the stress from the hell I'm going through is going to kill me. I'll try to make this short but I know it's going to be long.

Started my battle against God's curse (baldness) about 13 years ago. The first couple of years I was on Minoxidil and Propecia which seemed to be doing good at least slowing my hair loss to a crawl. However, the temples and hairline were showing a bit of thinning. So, didn't think twice and I was planning my first HT. It was a small HT and a total waste of money. In fact, I dont think it was necessary but I just couldn't bear the thought of losing even 1% of my hair. So, a year or so later I was preparing for my 2nd HT (probably around 800 grafts). Results were ok considering that I still had a lot of original hair. But thinning continued and cant remember exactly how long after -probably a year or so- I was once again planning my 3rd HT (also around 800-900). Well, that should've taken care of the frontal area, or so I thought but late in 2002 I started noticing even more thinning in the same area. So, once again I was at the doctor's for consultation. Total grafts this time 1700. This time I thought I wouldn't have to worry about this curse any more. A few years went by and I was happy with the results until the end of 2009, when I suddenly experienced a rapid shed in the transplanted area once again. I couldn't understand it but I was back at the doctor's once again. Well, this time it's going to be 800 grafts. Yup, my fifth God damn HT. But whatever it takes...

But guess what ? Just over 3 months ago I once again experienced another rapid shed in the transplanted area that left my temples and hairline thinner that you could see the scalp. This time is the worst. I was furious and had no clue what the hell was happening. So I went back to the doctor only to be told the worst thing I could've ever imagined. I was told I have a rare condition that causes the new hairs to die eventually, just like the original ones and that was it for me!! WTF ? 5 HTs at more than $20,000 and it's all for nothing !!!
    The doctor who did my last 2 HTs is very reputable even around the world. So, I know this has nothing to do with him. My other 3 HTs were all done by different doctors who are also reputable.

But what's puzzling me is that the loss I'm having is not gradual. It all happened within 2 months and I still think I'm losing more. So, I don't understand what the hell is causing this. A while ago I came across an article talking about "seasonal shedding", which did give me some hope but now I doubt that's the case with me. I know I've seen transplanted hairs in my hairline with thin tips, which does mean they're dying, but gradually.

I'm just dying to know if any of you has this curse on top of the baldness curse. Or, if any of you know anything about this. I've emailed a couple of doctors but didn't get a reply. I don't know if they didn't read my emails or didn't care to respond or maybe didn't want to.
    Right now I feel I'm the most miserable person on the planet. I suffer from depression and stress but I can say I've never been more depressed and stressed than now.

Please, if any doctors here care to respond I would really appreciate that.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    Ok, this is like the 4th site I'm joining and posting on in my frantic search for an answer. I feel the stress from the hell I'm going through is going to kill me. I'll try to make this short but I know it's going to be long.

Started my battle against God's curse (baldness) about 13 years ago. The first couple of years I was on Minoxidil and Propecia which seemed to be doing good at least slowing my hair loss to a crawl. However, the temples and hairline were showing a bit of thinning. So, didn't think twice and I was planning my first HT. It was a small HT and a total waste of money. In fact, I dont think it was necessary but I just couldn't bear the thought of losing even 1% of my hair. So, a year or so later I was preparing for my 2nd HT (probably around 800 grafts). Results were ok considering that I still had a lot of original hair. But thinning continued and cant remember exactly how long after -probably a year or so- I was once again planning my 3rd HT (also around 800-900). Well, that should've taken care of the frontal area, or so I thought but late in 2002 I started noticing even more thinning in the same area. So, once again I was at the doctor's for consultation. Total grafts this time 1700. This time I thought I wouldn't have to worry about this curse any more. A few years went by and I was happy with the results until the end of 2009, when I suddenly experienced a rapid shed in the transplanted area once again. I couldn't understand it but I was back at the doctor's once again. Well, this time it's going to be 800 grafts. Yup, my fifth God damn HT. But whatever it takes...

But guess what ? Just over 3 months ago I once again experienced another rapid shed in the transplanted area that left my temples and hairline thinner that you could see the scalp. This time is the worst. I was furious and had no clue what the hell was happening. So I went back to the doctor only to be told the worst thing I could've ever imagined. I was told I have a rare condition that causes the new hairs to die eventually, just like the original ones and that was it for me!! WTF ? 5 HTs at more than $20,000 and it's all for nothing !!!
    The doctor who did my last 2 HTs is very reputable even around the world. So, I know this has nothing to do with him. My other 3 HTs were all done by different doctors who are also reputable.

But what's puzzling me is that the loss I'm having is not gradual. It all happened within 2 months and I still think I'm losing more. So, I don't understand what the hell is causing this. A while ago I came across an article talking about "seasonal shedding", which did give me some hope but now I doubt that's the case with me. I know I've seen transplanted hairs in my hairline with thin tips, which does mean they're dying, but gradually.

I'm just dying to know if any of you has this curse on top of the baldness curse. Or, if any of you know anything about this. I've emailed a couple of doctors but didn't get a reply. I don't know if they didn't read my emails or didn't care to respond or maybe didn't want to.
    Right now I feel I'm the most miserable person on the planet. I suffer from depression and stress but I can say I've never been more depressed and stressed than now.

Please, if any doctors here care to respond I would really appreciate that.
    Thanks
    What is this rare condition called??

Cvazbar, I can't remember the name. I was completely in shock as the doctor was telling me that I felt like I wasn't even in the room.

Well, I just googled "losing transplanted hair" and found about a few cases of people with the same problem. So, I'm wondering WHY this is NEVER mentioned to people who want to get HTs? Even if it's a rare thing I think we should be warned that there IS a possibility that this is going to happen. Having to go thru 5 god damn transplants and lose 10's of thousands of dollars only to find out it's all going to be for nothing is.... I can't think of a word. I used to believe and find safety in the "fact" that HTs are permanent. It turns out they AREN'T ALWAYS.
    This really really sucks. Looks like life to some of us can be even more cruel than we could have imagined.

Cvazbar, I can't remember the name. I was completely in shock as the doctor was telling me that I felt like I wasn't even in the room.

Well, I just googled "losing transplanted hair" and found about a few cases of people with the same problem. So, I'm wondering WHY this is NEVER mentioned to people who want to get HTs? Even if it's a rare thing I think we should be warned that there IS a possibility that this is going to happen. Having to go thru 5 god damn transplants and lose 10's of thousands of dollars only to find out it's all going to be for nothing is.... I can't think of a word. I used to believe and find safety in the "fact" that HTs are permanent. It turns out they AREN'T ALWAYS.
    This really really sucks. Looks like life to some of us can be even more cruel than we could have imagined.
    You should call Spencer on Sunday to see what he thinks and if he heard of anything like this. Maybe you can sue? Have you talked to your regular Doc? Never heard of this condition. How is this diagnosed beforehand?

Thanks for caring to reply, Cvazbar. I cannot sue and wouldn't sue either. That won't do nothing to fix the problem. Besides, my first 3 HTs were done by 3 different doctors and the last 2 were done by another. So, that's 4 different doctors. There's nothing to sue for. However, the least they should've done is mention the possibility of such a miserable end. Just like I said, my online search today turned up more than just a couple of similar cases which leads me to believe that most doctors ARE familiar with this but it's obvious NONE of them want to mention it to a prospective HT patient. That's why I'm mad.

When I went to see the doctor who did my last HTs about my problem he said he could do a biopsy to see if I have whatever the hell that condition is but then he said the results aren't bullet proof as I could get a "false" negative but I can't remember if there's a possibility for a false positive too. But I'm thinking why aren't these biopsies done before an HT ???

Thanks for the suggestion about talking to Spencer. I'm wondering if I can email him first. Although I've never listened to his show I know he's in touch with many experts on hair loss issues.

Thanks for caring to reply, Cvazbar. I cannot sue and wouldn't sue either. That won't do nothing to fix the problem. Besides, my first 3 HTs were done by 3 different doctors and the last 2 were done by another. So, that's 4 different doctors. There's nothing to sue for. However, the least they should've done is mention the possibility of such a miserable end. Just like I said, my online search today turned up more than just a couple of similar cases which leads me to believe that most doctors ARE familiar with this but it's obvious NONE of them want to mention it to a prospective HT patient. That's why I'm mad.

When I went to see the doctor who did my last HTs about my problem he said he could do a biopsy to see if I have whatever the hell that condition is but then he said the results aren't bullet proof as I could get a "false" negative but

I can't remember if there's a possibility for a false positive too. But I'm thinking why aren't these biopsies done before an HT ???

Thanks for the suggestion about talking to Spencer. I'm wondering if I can email him first. Although I've never listened to his show I know he's in touch with many experts on hair loss issues.
    No problem bro, I just wish I had answers for your problem. I'm not sure how many emails Spencer responds to but I'm sure you can call the show on Sunday's. You could listen and see if you decide to call and you can talk to him on the spot. However you prefer. He has a lot of experience and maybe
    has some useful information regarding your problem.

Thanks again, man.

I was hoping some of the doctors who post here would say something.

Thanks again, man.

I was hoping some of the doctors who post here would say something.
    Go where it says " hair transplant veterans" and write to doc Glenn Charles. He recently replied to someone here and does often. Try him.

Thanks, man. I'll try that. I've emailed 4 or 5 doctors so far but no replies.