+ Reply to Thread

Default Question for Mr. Kobren and/or IAHRS Physicians regarding exercise and hair loss

I'm 32 years with a receding hairline but no loss in the crown thus far. I think Propecia is helping to keep what I have. Here's my question:

I'm 5'10", about 220-230lbs and out of shape. I want to start exercising again but fear that the exercise will build testosterone and thus will accelerate my hairloss. Is this a well-founded fear? Will I lose hair faster by getting back into the gym? Thank you.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by baldingpittfan View Post
    I'm 32 years with a receding hairline but no loss in the crown thus far. I think Propecia is helping to keep what I have. Here's my question:

I'm 5'10", about 220-230lbs and out of shape. I want to start exercising again but fear that the exercise will build testosterone and thus will accelerate my hairloss. Is this a well-founded fear? Will I lose hair faster by getting back into the gym? Thank you.
    Get your butt in the gym! Most experts agree that the minimal, and short lived rise in testosterone produced by anaerobic exercise has absolutely zero effect on hair loss.

Unless you plan on supplementing your training with anabolic steroids or testosterone booting nutritional supplements, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Hope this helps.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Sweet! I've been hitting the gm quite rigorously for the past 6 months, but only twice a week. In 6 months I gained 8 lbs of muscle and lost 2% body fat (I'm a sweets addict). But, I haven't noticed any negative change in my hair status as a result of exercising.

Thanks, Spencer, for demystifying this notion!

Yes, thank you! That idea was the main thing keeping me from getting back into shape.

Quote Originally Posted by baldingpittfan View Post
    Yes, thank you! That idea was the main thing keeping me from getting back into shape.
    No problem. Good luck with the workouts!
    Spencer Kobren

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Crap, that's the excuse I've been using. I'll have to come up with another one.
    Hi, I'm the Head Tech and Surgical Manager for Shapiro Medical Group. janna@shapiromedical.com

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Janna View Post
    Crap, that's the excuse I've been using. I'll have to come up with another one.
    How about the fact that you work so hard helping hair loss sufferers, that you just can't find the time? Not that you need to work out
    Spencer Kobren