Would like advice re: Propecia etc from guys with mild balding - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would like advice re: Propecia etc from guys with mild balding

Hi there,

My hairline has been thinning since I'm 24, I'm 28 now.

When I was about 26/27 I was forced to do my hair in a certain way to cover up my receding hairline. Even so, it was never noticeable then. But at 28, I am becoming very limited in what I can do with my hair and still cover up my balding, and sometimes my receding hairline is noticeable without me even realising (which really freaks me out as this has never happened before). My balding can't be that heavy, as I still have 75%+ of my hair, and people sometimes say they thought I was 21 or 22 years old, but it is getting increasingly hard to hide my shame.

Crisis time! I think about my hair 24/7. At work. When I go out. My confidence has taken a massive knock. I am always worrying if my receding hairline is exposed. Whenever I look in a mirror it feels like I am being punched in the gut. So, I am starting to turn this minor problem into a serious obsession.

I just went to the Belgravia Centre in London for a check up and advice. I could tell it was a bit of a scam when I walked through the door. They didn't tell me about Propecia's side effects adequately, for example, and claimed I would see results after 3 months, etc. They also didn't talk about the possibility of shedding, etc. and the service they offered was massively overpriced considering you can buy what they sell on their "programs" for much cheaper elsewhere.

Okay, so to get to my point. I reckon I have stage I balding. Belgravia say II. Whatever, I am balding and the hair is thinning on top. People don't notice it but I am sick of having to spend so much time trying to hide my balding. I am very seriously thinking of going on Propecia.

It's hard to sift through advice online. Firstly, there seem to be tons of scam success-stories. Secondly, some of the posts people make (understandably, I am not knocking you) are full of paranoia, with claims that Propecia is making one's hair fall out, thinning hair, ruining lives, etc. I am not looking for emotional responses (although, again, I am not knocking people who do this ... I totally understand how you feel!).

All I want is some balanced advice from someone who knows the facts.

1. Does Propecia work, and if so in what percentage of people?
    2. Does Propecia really make you shed (this kinda scares me)?
    3. And how many of you have experienced sexual dysfunction, or side effects, because of it?

I really want to grow back just the little bit of hair I feel I need to be comfortable again. I hate having a receding hairline, as you can see. It has made me feel old all of a sudden, and changed the whole way I look at life. Just losing a little bit of hair has done all of this in one instant; making me take stock of my whole existence; becoming wistful and nostalgic. I know the problem really is my insecurities and how I feel about myself ... I have always been very sensitive and self-concscious. Yes, the vanity is now coming back to bite me, but I am just exploring the options I have.

Thanks for listening to this rant! And I look forward to any replies.

First of all, I totally understand what you're experiencing. Hair loss sure sucks! You wanted honest answers so this is what I "think". Before I get to it, please note that I am not a medical doctor. I have only read tons of information on this subject. Also note that everyone's experience with medications differs. Okay, with that said, here's what I "feel": The claim that Propecia works for 80+% of men is ridiculous. If this was true, we wouldn't have a hair loss problem. From the data that I've gathered, I would list Propecia's hair regrowth success as occuring in about 20% of the users. With that said however, it does appear to slow down or even stop the rate of hair loss for many. So all you should expect is to maintain what you have and be content. You'll be disappointed else wise. For many (me included) the initial taking of Propecia will make your hair shed. The shedding can last anywhere from 1 to 3 months. The good news if that you will eventually get back these hairs (as opposed to growing back new hair.) Much is being talked about long term sexual dysfuntions. However, from the data available, it looks like only 2% of men experience it and should you be one of the unlucky ones, upon stopping the use of the medication, the problem will immediately go away. Unlike Dutasteride, Finasteride leaves the body very quickly.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

Default Don't take propecia

If you enjoy your sex life and don't want to risk losing it I strongly suggest you stay far away from Propecia. It is a deadly drug and scientists are just beginning to uncover all the problems it causes.
    I would suggest you read these blogs before you talk to you doctor:
    http://www.propeciahelp.com
    and here
    http://blog.alanjacobsmd.com/alan-ja...nasteride.html

Just posted this in another section...

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showpos...7&postcount=17

Long story short, it works (for me at least), but you need to be careful!

I just made a thread with my results.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...6712#post26712

Thanks for these kind replies.

It's interesting. If I can maintain it I will be happy. The sex drive thing seems bad. But I have cyclothymia and a high sex drive. When I was on anti-depressants my sex drive was reduced a lot but I could still enjoy it.

I may take the plunge. Let's hope I survive the side effects and don't grow giant man boobies.

Thank you so much for all the advice, once again.

Do not listen to the people telling you propecia is a sex drive killer. Im 22 ive been on the drug for 6 months and have not had a single side effect. Notice the small amount of people getting on here saying it lowered theirs etc. The rest of the people have not complained about it at all. I believe most of it is all psychological, if you fear your going to get sides when you start it then you probably will. I suggest you get on it, but take it at low doses. Talk to your Dr and he can help you out

If you go intot he drug expecting sides - you will get them.

"the mind is a powerful tool"
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

haha that is the most ridiculous reasoning I have ever read!
    Using your argument we can say that if one is to go on chemotherapy and they truly believe they will not get any side effects from the treatment they won't!
    Do you agree Spex??

Quote Originally Posted by joe327 View Post
    haha that is the most ridiculous reasoning I have ever read!
    Using your argument we can say that if one is to go on chemotherapy and they truly believe they will not get any side effects from the treatment they won't!
    Do you agree Spex??
    My side effects were real. When you can't feel anything with your dong like my sides than you tell me if it's all just in my head.