+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm an ATM guy

Default I'm an ATM guy

Some random thoughts since there is a lot of mixed emotions:

1) This week my family made it a point to tell me I would look better if I cut my hair really short. It made me feel embarrassed.

2) This morning while combing my hair I remembered something. When I was in college I remember reading an article that stated that banks put mirrors near teller lines to keep people entertained. That unconsciously people like to look at themselves, and that it helps pass time as the customers wait. I then realized, all my transactions occur at the ATM outside. Was I unconsciously avoiding going inside because I didn't want to see my thinning hair?

3) I don't have a problem with cutting my hair really short, but what I do have a problem with is what's associated with it. Here are my stats:

Latino
    Late 20's
    Living in the Los Angeles area.

People are going to assume I'm a gang member. I tried cutting my hair with a # 1 clip a few years back and I had a hard time getting a job, people thought I was in a gang when I went to baseball games, and I always had security guards take an extra look at me. Maybe it was all just a coincidence but that's how it felt.

4) I feel bad because I feel like my looks have faded, and that it's unfair to my wife. I joined a gym recently because I felt like I need to "substitute" one feature with another since I have no control of my hair. I know it doesn't make sense and that she doesn't care (her brothers are bald), but it makes me feel like it's one less thing that I bring into the relationship.

That's it for now.

It is true that some guys who buzz/shave their heads have a mean look; this is unfortunate. Some look relatively stylish and attractive this way though. I do think that more Latin and darked haired guys can pull it off because the dark stubble creates a contrast.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles getting a job with a #1 buzz; it doesn't surprise me though. There is a chance I have been discriminated against as well in the job market because I am bald - but I don't know.

Have you talked with your doctor about your concerns? Have you talked with your wife about it? What does she think?

Hairloss is a negative thing.

Hi! I'm Rouse and I'm new here. I'm looking forward to learn new things from you guys and also share my knowledge as well.