+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Starting at the roots

Hi,

I am very new to this website but having seen that there are a lot of people like me who are suffering from hair loss, I would just like to get some advice. I have finally reached a stage in my life where I am starting to lose confidence in myself having lost a lot of hair over the last four years. I used to always be known to have wild, spiky hair and when I was 20, I started noticing that something wasn't right. During the times I lost it, I was stressing out with study work which I think in some ways accelerated the hair loss, as since I finished being a student and being less stressed, I haven't noticed much of a rapid change. At the moment I use a very popular concealer called nanogen nanofibres which is helping me to keep my confidence, but I don't want to rely on them. I'm now 25 and single and one of those people who can't accept going bald and feel that I should do something about it.

I'm finding it hard to know where to begin in researchig into this but I recently came accross the story of jason gardener who had a transplant by Dr Zeiring but paid huge amounts of money to get it done. I've looked a lot into the strip method which I think I will most definitely go with but I am interested to know from anyone who wants to share their experiences in having transplants in the uk and any top surgeons they recommend. I have decided to spend this year researching into the subject and then hopefully next year be more educated and aware of who and where I should get a transplant with.

I would stick to using this website and checking out the websites of the doctors and patients from this site. Seeing what real patients go through will give a good perspective of how it all works. This worked for me and I am glad I went with a doctor that has a great reputation. HT's are not cheap but realistically no where near the price that Jason Gardner reportedly paid. Find a IAHRS doctor and get a consultation. The time between my surgery and 1st consultation was something like 7 years. I am glad I waited that long and was able to see what my hair loss was going to do.

Good Luck!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You are approaching your situation wisely. Educating yourself and doing all the proper due diligence. In the end you will more likely make a better decision because you are taking your time to make it.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    You are approaching your situation wisely. Educating yourself and doing all the proper due diligence. In the end you will more likely make a better decision because you are taking your time to make it.
    Thank you! Yeah I suppose its very easy for people to let anxiety control their decisions if they are not careful. I definitely want to take a lot of time just educating myself. I've noticed so far in my research that most of the recommended doctors are based in the us. only one over here in uk seems credible which is dr farjo in Manchester. find that strange considering there are so many in uk and in london. liking what I've read about him so far so I think just for advice, I will go for a consultation with him as I will be off work after this week. I'd like for doctors to be able to just monitor my hair loss for maybe a good year as I dont know what sort of stage its at.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdiddy View Post
    I would stick to using this website and checking out the websites of the doctors and patients from this site. Seeing what real patients go through will give a good perspective of how it all works. This worked for me and I am glad I went with a doctor that has a great reputation. HT's are not cheap but realistically no where near the price that Jason Gardner reportedly paid. Find a IAHRS doctor and get a consultation. The time between my surgery and 1st consultation was something like 7 years. I am glad I waited that long and was able to see what my hair loss was going to do.

Good Luck!
    Thats really good advice thanks! Having looked at the iahrs and sites like that, there are hardly any doctors on there from the UK. I suppose IF I decide on a transplant it may be possible that I would need to travel overseas. Is it true that some clinics in us can reinburse travel expenses/accomodation.

For curiousity which doctor did you choose by the way? And what was the overall experience like? Do you feel its the best thing you've ever done? So far I'm understanding the idea of grafts and the different methods. not sure on the price ranges much yet tho. I'm hoping that IF I get transplant I would like to spend about 3 to 4 grand but again....early days.

I've had a really thorough read so far about Dr Farjo and I'm definitely thinking of booking a consultation with him to get some advice.

He may be booked up for weeks but will get some photos together and fill in the online consultation form. Has anyone been treated by Dr Farjo? If so, what is the overal consultation like? And did he keep in touch regularly with you?

Because he's such a well recognized and demanded surgeon I kind of feel a bit apprehensive for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by srtcy View Post
    I've had a really thorough read so far about Dr Farjo and I'm definitely thinking of booking a consultation with him to get some advice.

He may be booked up for weeks but will get some photos together and fill in the online consultation form. Has anyone been treated by Dr Farjo? If so, what is the overal consultation like? And did he keep in touch regularly with you?

Because he's such a well recognized and demanded surgeon I kind of feel a bit apprehensive for some reason.
    good luck getting a consultation with him until the winter lol. He's popular in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
    good luck getting a consultation with him until the winter lol. He's popular in the UK.
    Wow you think it would be that long? Well I suppose that's probably the case for like the "uk's leading surgeon" lol. I will fill the form in and see what happens. Have you been treated by him or know anyone who has?

i havent been treated by him, got a consultation appt booked with him and was shocked to hear the earliest would be in september. I know what hes going to say as well.. ur too young (24), come back in a few years

I didn't think it would be quite that long. Don't mind too much because not thinking of getting a hair transplant until next year sometime.

Not necessarily. For a start they wouldn't have even allowed you to book If they were dismissive of your age. So they are obviously prepared to have a look at it and monitor it over time. Even if they do decide that your too young at least they will regularly monitor your hair loss progression. Do you feel your hair loss has stabalised a bit now?

I'm 25 and I would just like to concentrate on have regular consultations. Knowing that the surgeon will be regularly monitoring its progression will ease my mind.