major thinning around the temples, but not male pattern baldness, help - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation major thinning around the temples, but not male pattern baldness, help

Hello, first time posting. I am 30 years old and have been losing my hair for several years now. It is falling out around the sides/temple and creeping toward the back and center. This does not seem to be the typical male patteren baldness that rogain and propecia treat, what can I do? anything? do I have to lose most of my hair and just have this landing strip on the top of my head? I hope not, pills? vitamins? shampoo? not a transplant, help! thank you

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jc22 View Post
    Hello, first time posting. I am 30 years old and have been losing my hair for several years now. It is falling out around the sides/temple and creeping toward the back and center. This does not seem to be the typical male patteren baldness that rogain and propecia treat, what can I do? anything? do I have to lose most of my hair and just have this landing strip on the top of my head? I hope not, pills? vitamins? shampoo? not a transplant, help! thank you
    Hey jc22,
    Welcome to the forum. First let me say that male pattern hair loss has many variants. The progression of male pattern hair loss is generally classified using the Hamilton-Norwood scale which illustrates 7 stages of male pattern baldness. This type of classification was first introduced in the 1950's by Dr. James Hamilton and later updated and revised by Dr. Otar Norwood. While the patterns illustrated on these charts are common, they are in no way the only patterns associated with male pattern hair loss.

The medical term for male pattern baldness is Androgenic Alopecia. The vast majority of men who suffer with hair loss have common, or not so common variants of this genetic condition. Just because your hair is thinning in a unusual pattern does not mean that you have anther type of hair loss.

Only a qualified physician can diagnose your condition for sure, but the good news is that you can most likely be successfully treated with FDA approved medication like Propecia.

Hope this helps,

Click image for larger version

Name:	norwoodscale.jpg

Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	403
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

thanks for the info, I have been thinking about Propecia yet was concerned about the cost and fact that my hair is thinning from the front and not the back. Its like my forehead wont stop growing.

Hey jc22,

I've been checking out Spencer's radio show for almost a year now. There have been many instances of men that realize positive results from Propecia in areas other than the crown. Propecia has proven to yield results (maintenance and thickening of hair) in the top, front, and even sides of the head. It sounds like your a good candidate! Check with your doctor and jump on the Propecia bandwagon! I have been on Propecia for a full year, and have maintained the hair on top of my head quite well.

I have also heard Spencer, during his radio show, talk about why Propecia has been tagged with the notion that it helps the crown area only. Apparently, when the drug was discovered, Merck (the pharmaceutical company) hurried to secure FDA approval (and I believe a patent). They did this by demonstrating the results they realized, which happened to be most prominent in the crown. But the drug has been on the market now for 10+ years, and many men have realized results throughout the scalp.

Propecia is the balding man's best friend! Check with your doctor and give it a shot.

TeeJay

Oh, also jc22, try not to worry about the cost. It's $50-70 per month, but realize what you get from it! You get to keep your hair, along with all of the social benefits that come with having hair, as well as your confidence and self-esteem (if, of course, you're like many of us who get so profoundly affected by hair loss).

In regards to cost, there's an amazing article on this website's counterpart, www.thebaldtruth.com. The article speaks about the cost of Propecia, relative to what you can get from it, which proves that the cost pales in comparison to its benefits, especially in light of the more expensive and entirely bogus remedies that saturate the market.

TeeJay