+ Reply to Thread

Default Receding hairline at 17.

Hi. Just as the title says, I'm 17 and have been developing this receding hairline since I was 16. I noticed it last year when I had gotten a haircut and realized that my hair looked strangely thin above the left side of my forehead. Sure enough, I went through MAJOR hair loss within the past year and a half.

I now have a bald spot that basically destroys my appearance. I have not had a haircut since a year and a half ago when I first noticed it, and have been growing my hair out ever since. Up until now I have been able to sort of conceal it by just keeping my bangs parted, but now that doesnt even work.

At first I was extremely depressed, and I still kind of am, which is why I am looking for some emotional support I guess. But recently, I think I have begun to care slightly less about what people think of me.

Even though I do care about that first impression when it comes to meeting girls, and friends. How can anyone explain being bald or balding between the ages of 16 and 25? You can't really. Not even my own family believed me until it became undeniable, which really screwed me up mentally. Since everyone refused to accept that they saw anything, I questioned my sanity and thought maybe I was going crazy.

I don't understand why family members don't just be honest up front. It wastes insane amounts of your time when you're lied to. Time you could have spent accepting what is, instead of questioning if its really true or not.

Anyway, how do I reverse this loss of hair? Or at least halt what is happening and retain my remaining hair? I have no job and no money. I will be 18 soon, and do not want to go to clubs or job interviews with a bald spot. There's really no other way to explain how unacceptable it is, but leaving it to continue as is just really isn't an option. Regardless of how much anyone can cope with it. You won't get laid, you won't have friends, etc.

I learned not to listen to family members about appearance a while ago because they lie to you, they don't like being straight up honest with you about hair loss.

For a long time I told my mother i'm losing hair, this was when I was 17-18, and she always said no you're fine, you have a normal hairline. And I kept telling her, i'm losing a lot of hair and she kept lying to me in my face saying it's okay. She does not suffer from any kind of hair loss whatsoever so it's very easy for her to just brush under the rug since it's not her, she has a lot of hair and looks young for her age of 45. She started seeing a lot of hairs in the shower after I finish, and that's when she finally believed I was going bald.

Well i'm now 22, and a member of a hair loss forum. So that should tell you how taking my family members advice went.

Start treating hair loss now, or else you will regret it. It's your hair, you see it every day, you know when something has changed. Follow your instincts and do something about it[if you want to; if you're okay with going bald then just shave it].

Talk to your doctor about hair loss and what treatments you should start with but go with generic stuff, it's cheaper, since you don't have a job. Good luck.

The moral of the story is, when it comes to hair loss, momma doesn't know best.

Yo dude I feel your pain! I have not only had a receeding hairline since I was your age but thin hair as well. As far as what you can do now I would encourage you to start treating it with topical apps only. I don't think propecia is recommend for people under 18. I know it sucks but I have tried not to worry about it much. I feel like the stress from worrying causes one to lose more hair. There are millions of dollars going into research right now to solve the hair loss problem. Just know that there are other people out there just like you! Don't let hair loss affect your personality or who you are, NO MATTER WHAT other people may say to you. Don't let it affect your confidence either.

Man I cannot tell you how bad I feel for you-

I went through the EXACT same thing in high school. I started noticing my hair loss when I was a junior (16), and the problem was very noticeable by the time I graduated at (18). I did not have enough money to get HT surgery (and still don't), and developed an allergic reaction to Rogaine shortly after beginning to use it... so I have lived with an accelerated receding hairline from a rather young age.

I am now 23, graduated from college and out in the world living a reasonably happy life, and here is all I can say: if the problem develops that early, you might just have to learn to live with losing your hair. It's shitty, I know, believe me, but there are ways to be ok with it (especially if you are unable to pay for restoration treatments). One thing you can do is learn to identify with it- and accent other things about yourself (get in shape, be confident- don't let it show that it bothers you so much). If it gets too bad you can always shave your head- and that's not the worst look in the world.

Of course, Rogaine really does work for a lot of people; it's always worth a try (even if it is a huge pain in the ass).

And you never know what is around the corner. Hair restoration may get better/more affordable. Anyway I wish you luck with the problem, and hope things start looking up.