+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I've never really given much thought to what it would be like to be short. I've always assumed that as the person was short all their lives it may not be ideal but at least they won't suffer an identity crisis.

Also, I can agree with the comment that some people with hair are pug ugly. More often than not though, it's their own fault because nine times out of ten it is due to a complete lack of personal hygeine, smoking or excessive alcohol consumption.

The difference between us and them is that we can't control our flaw, which is the frustrating thing about it. No matter how hard I try, I'm always going to have a big flaw I can do nothing about.

There is something far more unusual about hair loss though, which is difficult to articulate. I've never been stunningly good looking, nor have I ever really had any desire to be so. I've always been a little overweight and average looking and it has never bothered me in the slightest. To be honest I look at models and pity them; what kind of a life must it be to only be valued on what's on the outside?

Hair loss though has been a whole different story. For a start, I guess it erases your identity. To me, one slick bald bloke looks like another slick bald bloke; when they shave their heads they're faceless clones to me. Second problem is how it ages you. This has never bothered me from a looks perspective but it went a long way towards ruining my career. Don't underestimate perception in the workplace. If you begin working life at 20 and look like you're 40, you'll be treated like a 40 year old. That presents two problems; first, you're an outsider amongst your peer group and second your colleagues expect you to be far more competent far more quickly than everyone else because they think you're older and more experienced.

Now, you ask whether men will have to get hair if a cure comes out. I do believe they will because I think the shaved head will very quickly become a menacing look again.

Also, I think baldness will quickly become an old fashioned 'disease.' It'll be considered more like other skin conditions that are now treatable, such as acne, rather than an aging process.

And to conclude, I think a lot of people are happy to live with a lot of things. Shortness, big noses, wrinkles. None of these would bother me, but baldness? I can't stand it and I don't know any sufferer who can.

I think being very short would be worse than being bald. A bald man is better off than a man who is 5'5. I once read some news poll that asked CEOs which is worse for their careers: being bald or being short? The majority answer, according to the CEOs, was as follows: it is better to be tall and bald than short with hair. A vast majority answered this way. I think some look at hairloss extremely negatively because it happens to be the problem with which they are afflicted. Their purview is narrow.

Actually, some people are unattractive because their faces are unattractive - with or without hair. When people say that a woman is unattractive, they are not saying this because she is bald; most women aren't. A full head of hair will not make everyone look like a model. There are plenty of unattractive people with great hair.

I disagree that bald men will need to get hair if a cure comes. The same argument could be used for short people, big-nosed people, unattractive people. Why don't these people get cosmetic surgery? Why aren't they forced to? A face lift is available, and so is a nose job. Why isn't having a large nose considered an ancient disease?

I understand that hairloss is different at a young age. It does age a guy rapidly. Believe it or not, I used to be a chain smoker. Now, this is something that, if told at the age of 15 I would do someday, I would have laughed in your face. I was an avid athlete who ate healthy. Then, I began balding at 16/17 and I became indifferent. I smoked as a teenager because I was depressed. No one needs to tell me how much premature hairloss sucks.

I believe that the thing about baldness is the cruel unfairness of it, because it happens to some guys and others get away with it completely. Unlike being short or having red hair etc, where you've never known any different.

I don't know if this is relevant; of all my friends, the one with the most money, who sleeps with the best looking women, and generally enjoys life the most, is completely bald. He started losing his hair while we were still in school. (He's also tall). His baldness does bother him (we've talked about it) but not enough that he's ever seriously considered doing anything about it.

Bruce Willis would definitely get the cure if and when it happens, he's said as much himself ("I want to die haired", was the newspaper headline, as I recall). I've even heard his daughter mention it, and that they watch his old movies to see what their dad looked like with hair.

It is true that one must accept a major adjustment when hairloss occurs. It is unfair - but I think that the extent to which a man is bothered by it may be genetic. For instance, if I was obese I would be extremely depressed. I would not be able to accept the fact that my face and body looked so different because of the excessive fat. Further, I would hate my look and the increased mortality. Some people might say, "Oh come on, get over it!' I wouldn't be able to. If I don't like something, I don't like it; it has nothing to do with confidence or strength. I dislike raw avocados - but this does not make me unconfident.

There are many guys (some of whom are on this forum) who deny that hairloss bothers them. Interestingly, however, if you go back and read their previous posts, you will notice that they do dislike it - or even hate it. There is a fake bravado that is put on by some.

Sometimes, shaving the head is like a man who has a severe birth mark on his hand, and decides to cut his hand off. After doing so he says, "I am bold and have accepted my birthmark." If a guy truly accepted the birthmark, he would just live with it. By shaving your head, you are not necessarily ridding yourself of your hairloss via 'acceptance'. You may be rejecting MPB because you hate it.

Part of my problem is the fact that I take life too seriously, which is a fault. I want to succeed at what I do, and get the most out of life. We only get one chance, and hairloss has given me a fatalistic mindset. I am definitely more negative than I would be with hair. I have to work on this. I wish I could be like other guys who are fat and/or unshaven, sedentary/ drunken slobs but, unlike them, I value life too much. I take things too seriously. Life has too much meaning to me. This is why I want hair and want to be me. If I had low standards, things would be easier.

I think most bald men despise being bald. Some won't admit to it; others will. Men are not supposed to allow anything to bother them - but I think this is bullshit. Being 500 pounds would bother me - and so does being bald. I would buy a cure if it comes - even if I had to finance it with a loan. The problem is 'if' it comes. I am skeptical.