+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

@ victimofdht

i use proscar--been on it now for 11 months.

for the first 6 months i was talking one quarter of a 5mg tablet per day (1.25mg).

the sides we pretty bad so i dropped that down to .65mg a day for the last 5 months. however, the sides still remain.

just this week i decided to try .65mg every other day.

my question to spex or anyone else on this post is if there is a better method of actually making sure that when splitting pills (in this case into eight pieces) that one is really dividing the finasteide up "fairly" evenly?

i have a pill splitter but it ain't cutting a pill into 8 pieces ;-) i use a razor blade to cut them down but this is never perfect either. any tips out there?

Philippe, you can:
    #1 crush the pill into dust and divide the dust until you're satisfied. Just take note of the amount you got and after a few times you will naturally take the right amount without careful fractioning.

#2 Dilute a pill in pure vodka or ethanol, then use a plastic syringe to take the dose you want by considering the concentration.

Take note that according to many users Finasteride has a flat response curve. Doses as low as 0.2mg will basically have the same effect as 1mg, but will mantain the low level for less time in your bloodstream. I am pretty certain 1mg can keep your DHT decently inhibited for at least a week, for instance.

http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1170

Senior Member BaldinLikeBaldwin's Avatar

This is all very interesting to me. I'm not on Finasteride currently but likely will be in the future. I was initially planning to take small doses after reading they reduce DHT levels almost as much as 1mg+. I realised however that due to the drugs short half-life after 24 hours I would not have enough of the drug in my body for it to reduce enough DHT. (?)

I then decided on this plausible transition theory even though I feel that maybe you should not really go on Fin if you're fearing or expecting sides. From what I understand now though 1mg every 5-7 days would have an equal effect in combating MPB as 1mg ED? How is this information not more "out there"? Surely some people must have tried this and we'd know whether or not it's as effective.

Is there very much of a difference between the 1mg 1 day a week and .25mg 4 days a week and then upping to like .25mg 7 days a week (i know that doesn't exactly add to 2 pills) and so on and so forth until 1mg a day?

Or will that create.. turbulence with your hormones or something

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    Is there very much of a difference between the 1mg 1 day a week and .25mg 4 days a week and then upping to like .25mg 7 days a week (i know that doesn't exactly add to 2 pills) and so on and so forth until 1mg a day?

Or will that create.. turbulence with your hormones or something
    This is not the most effective way to taper on to the drug. Taking 1mg once then waiting 7 days till your next dose is not wise. A single 1mg dose causes a very signifigant drop in DHT, and by day 7 your DHT will be nearly back to where it was. You don't want your hormones to fluctuate much, you want to reduce DHT at a slow/steady rate until your desired levels are reached.

So go with .25mg twice a week, then 3 times a week etc...as a single dose of 0.25 doesn't drop DHT by as much as a single dose of 1mg. And your DHT levels a couple days after that single 0.25mg dose will only be slightly lower.

BUMP!

I was wondering if there are any other users who had sides during their first time on fin but managed to minimize their sides during their second attempt by slowly decreasing the dosage as described by Spex.