+ Reply to Thread
    Inactive

Lightbulb Hair Cloning Restoration Procedures Studies Approved

Robert M. Bernstein, M.D., F.A.A.D., Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York and founder of Bernstein Medical – Center for Hair Restoration, has been granted approval by the Western Institutional Review Board (WIRB) to study four different applications of the ACell MatriStem™ extracellular matrix (ECM) in hair restoration. Two of the studies include its use in a type of hair cloning, called hair multiplication, where plucked hairs and transected follicular units are induced to generate new hair-producing follicles.

http://www.newsjunkyjournal.com/hair...roved/2510384/

Thanks for the information, gmonasco. I will be interesting to see if any of these applications turn out to be fruitful. I am cautiously optimistic.

I was watching an interview of a Russian cyclist on Youtube the other day from a few years back. While watching the interview, I couldn't help notice what a perfect head of hair he had. While looking at his hair, I began to imagine what it would be like to have my hair back. I would be so excited I don't know what I would do!

Even though I may have to be bald forever, I sincerely hope that something happens sometime soon. I believe it would truly change my life in ways I cannot understand. I think hairloss affects us in so many different ways - even our health.

I will keep some hope...

Does anyone have info. on Bernstein's work? Dates, numbers of subjects, study-details?

hair cloning dead?

Quote Originally Posted by karxxx View Post
    hair cloning dead?
    http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-cloning/answers/

Posted by Robert M. Bernstein M.D. on November 21st, 2013 (This is his latest post on his webpage)

Q: I read, with considerable interest, your excellent article on the latest in Dr. Angela Christiano’s work on follicular neogenesis. It seems to me that the next questions we should be asking are: when will testing begin on human subjects and when might her research develop into a hair cloning treatment that is available to the general public?

A: It is very difficult to determine when this phase of the research might begin and it is even harder to predict when treatment might become available. First, the technology is not quite there. Dr. Christiano showed in her recent paper that changing the environment of skin (fibroblast) cells so that they could form into 3-D cultures enabled them to induce human hair-follicle growth. Although this was a major step towards cloning hair, additional work needs to be done before we will be able to mass produce fully-functioning human hair follicles to the extent needed for hair transplantation.

In addition, research on human subjects requires that experiments meet rigorous federal regulatory standards and these take time to be approved and carried out. Supposing that further study of follicle neogenesis results in a breakthrough treatment for hair loss, this treatment would still require meeting substantial efficacy and safety requirements of the FDA before it would be made available to the public. We will be communicating important developments as they occur through our Hair Cloning Research section and through periodic updates in the Bernstein Medical Newsletter.

Quote Originally Posted by karxxx View Post
    hair cloning dead?
    What, you thought it'd be within 5 years? LOL