+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

The more I think about this the more irritated I get. Don't get me wrong, I think the result looks quite good and more importantly Jason deserves credit for coming out so publicly like this. It can only shed a more positive light on this field when celebrities like Jason come out and discuss it openly from beginning to end. I wish more celebrities would come forward.

However, make no mistake, this was a planned PR opportunity from the start and while it is actually a good thing in general the overall final presentation is misleading and in fact dangerous.

Jason is wearing tons of concealer in the "This Morning" interview. I agree 100% with Spex that there is no way, none, nada, zilch, that 3501 grafts will give a NW6 this much coverage much less density. The danger in presenting this "remarkable" result is that anyone that sees this, and trust me, there are a lot of people that have seen this, will think that if they have aggressive hair loss then 3500 grafts should take care of them in one go.

The sad reality is that as most experienced members and patients know, closer to double this amount will give a NW6 anything resembling acceptable coverage but even 7000 grafts will not give this kind of density (mainly the crown) as it appears in the video that the density is near native (100%).

This is not a slam against Jason Gardiner. Again, I think it was very commendable for him to come forward. I could see it in his eyes that he was very forthcoming about how his hair loss affected him and how the hat he has worn over the 8 months of recovery became a psychological crutch. I've been there myself so I know how it feels and to be honest, I don't think he realizes the misrepresentation that he is providing by using concealer in an interview solely about his new hair. Regardless of whether or not HE realizes it, others do and the presentation of his hair transplant result as being ONLY from a surgical treatment will lead other uninformed television viewers to think that they too can get 3500 grafts on their NW6 hair loss patterned heads and get full density and full coverage.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jotronic View Post
    The more I think about this the more irritated I get. Don't get me wrong, I think the result looks quite good and more importantly Jason deserves credit for coming out so publicly like this. It can only shed a more positive light on this field when celebrities like Jason come out and discuss it openly from beginning to end. I wish more celebrities would come forward.

However, make no mistake, this was a planned PR opportunity from the start and while it is actually a good thing in general the overall final presentation is misleading and in fact dangerous.

Jason is wearing tons of concealer in the "This Morning" interview. I agree 100% with Spex that there is no way, none, nada, zilch, that 3501 grafts will give a NW6 this much coverage much less density. The danger in presenting this "remarkable" result is that anyone that sees this, and trust me, there are a lot of people that have seen this, will think that if they have aggressive hair loss then 3500 grafts should take care of them in one go.

The sad reality is that as most experienced members and patients know, closer to double this amount will give a NW6 anything resembling acceptable coverage but even 7000 grafts will not give this kind of density (mainly the crown) as it appears in the video that the density is near native (100%).

This is not a slam against Jason Gardiner. Again, I think it was very commendable for him to come forward. I could see it in his eyes that he was very forthcoming about how his hair loss affected him and how the hat he has worn over the 8 months of recovery became a psychological crutch. I've been there myself so I know how it feels and to be honest, I don't think he realizes the misrepresentation that he is providing by using concealer in an interview solely about his new hair. Regardless of whether or not HE realizes it, others do and the presentation of his hair transplant result as being ONLY from a surgical treatment will lead other uninformed television viewers to think that they too can get 3500 grafts on their NW6 hair loss patterned heads and get full density and full coverage.
    If this was a planned PR opportunity from the start then kudos to Dr. Ziering! I think it’s fantastic for all of us who are going through this, as it only brings light to a subject that has been in the shadows too long. I’m sure Jason wears consealer because it makes him feel better. Yes it is a little misleading if this is not explained to the pubic, but the bottom line is that he is happy. I don’t think he would have come out publically if he wasn’t absolutely thrilled with his results. I do see Jotronic and Spex’s point, but I think it’s irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things. I guess I could be wrong, but I think this is a good thing.

I don't mean to sound like a doom and gloom spreader. Far from it but I've busted my ass (as have Spex, Spencer and some others) for years trying to educate patients about what is realistic with hair restoration. Then comes Jason Gardiner and his hair transplant of only 3501 grafts making the million or so people that watched the show think that the cure for aggressive hair loss is here.

I'll tell you one thing, if I were to ever show a result from Hasson & Wong, of myself or any other patient, with even a hint of Toppik or some other concealer you guys would have my hide up on a wall for trying to pass it off as a natural result. Think about it.
    Last edited by Jotronic; 03-29-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Do concealers make that much of a difference? How do they apply it? On scalp or hair? You keep saying aggressive hair loss, do you mean those people are not good candidates for HT?

I don't mean to sound like a doom and gloom spreader. Far from it but I've busted my ass (as have Spex, Spencer and some others) for years trying to educate patients about what is realistic with hair restoration. Then comes Jason Gardiner and his hair transplant of only 3501 grafts making the million or so people that watched the show think that the cure for aggressive hair loss is here.

I'll tell you one thing, if I were to ever show a result from Hasson & Wong, of myself or any other patient, with even a hint of Toppik or some other concealer you guys would have my hide up on a wall for trying to pass it off as a natural result. Think about it.
    I think that you and Spex and some of the others who work for the top clinics are held to a higher standard when you show results on the forum and I think that you should be. This is a celebrity on television. He doesn't have to play by the same rules and probably does not even understand that he is being misleading in any way. I think he should be commended not criticized for coming out about his hair transplant, but I do understand your points and they are valid.

Excellent response Jotronic, and I totally agree with you. Six months ago I would have totally believed that these results were attainable and the 3500 grafts that Jason Gardiner received would have simply been an arbitrary number to me. Having researched HT procedures, and taken in the information that is available on this forum, I know that is simply not the case. Unfortunately, when presented with a desperate situation like MPB, people tend to act too quickly without doing the proper research and there are doctors out there that will prey upon their insecurities and desperation. I was in a similar situation just 6 months ago, and thankfully found this site where I could research the process and just as importantly the work of physicians performing hair transplants. This site is riddled with people who have been duped into procedures without being given any guidance on "realistic" outcomes, and unfortunately a great number are going to see Jason's results and think all their problems will be solved at once, only to be disappointed with the outcome.

They said that was 3501 grafts, that looks like a lot more. Can 3500 grafts make that much of a different for a guy who was basically a norwood 6?

So he still getting a 2nd procedure? Does this mean that he is paying for a Mercedes now? 70gs?

Hi Dr Ziering,

I appreciate your reply and please do not take mine or Jotronics posts as an attack, its more an observation and stating the obvious really based on experience and daily interaction with actual patients who expectations require constant grounding. As i stated previously, kudos to Jason for coming out. No mean feat - takes courage and balls!

Seeing some "cold light of day" pictures from you will help compare and also please upload immediate post op pics too to see coverage and placement that will help - however I strongly believe concealers were worn on the TV interview. If not then where is a another surgery going to be placed..? Why the need? There appears to be no room judging by the sheer coverage and density achieved from round one of only 3500.

The general point i was making and Joe backed me up on here is that at only 8 months it's highly unlikely that density and coverage from only 3500 grafts can be achieved and seems interesting Jason is familiar with concealers such as Toppik and chose to use on "Dancing on Ice" yet disclosed to you he had nothing "on" on "This morning" the TV interview, even though his appearance displayed classic signs ie. full thick coverage.

I have also seen 1000's of ht's in person had 8 surgeries myself and to this day never seen such overwhelming density and coverage from just 3500 grafts. I think Jason was telling you a porky pie (lie) if he said he had no concealer on as you have acknowledged.

The millions viewing the show have now been lead to believe that thats what can be achieved from a HT alone in one session from 3500 grafts from your clinic, which is in my opinion (and Joe's) not the case. If you guys had disclosed the concealer and the need for Jason to embark on a second surgery to the public it would have been a great informative piece.

I appreciate the PR campaign to get the awareness up but from a mentors perspective ( myself and Jotronic ) who deal with patients daily its a shame the real actual life results weren't disclosed - hopefully you can display some pictures of what his hair actually looks like via pictures.

This is only my opinion.

Regards
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Doc,

I am based in the UK - A great way for me and others to be proven wrong and come back on here publicly with an apology is if you can line me up a 1:1 meeting with Jason on his terms (time and location.) I would very much like to view his results even for 1 minute (and meet him as i really like him) in person and report back here and on other forums where speculation resides. The results appear remarkable and i would love to be given the opportunity to see them up close and personal and report back - i hope i can be given the opportunity.

Best
    Spex

email :support@spexhair.com
    Last edited by Spex; 03-30-2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.