+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Is the Shaved Head the New Comb Over?

It is interesting that the shaved head has become popular in modern times - at least in America. When I was growing up (I am 34), it was an absolute no no. Often considered a Nazi emblem or sign of chemo-induced sickness, one would never shave his head under any circumstances. Cultural trends change, however, as well as minds.

The comb over, which was embraced in the 1970's through 1990's (and still sometimes used today) was a very common phenomenon. Men (who were bald/balding) would simply grow their hair long on the sides and flop it (perhaps with gel) over the top of the head to give the appearance of a fuller head of hair. Now, however, this trend (or crime!) is tantamount to committing perjury in a federal court; further, it is one of the most (if not the most) mocked social/fashion elements of modern society. The satire of the bald man's comb over is unending, and rather caustic. However, in reality, how is the comb over any different from a shaved head? Well, you may say, it is different because head shaving is about acceptance, whereas the comb over is about denial. I understand that argument; however, I have heard many head shaving men admit they are shaving, among other reasons, because they want to be bald by choice; in addition, they say hairloss is less noticeable this way. However, isn't the latter the intention of a comb over? Isn't the idea to make hairloss look less noticeable? There appears to be some flawed logic here.

Some would argue that a man with a comb over is insecure; they'd say he just cannot accept his hairloss; therefore, he is pathetic. This may be true - but many head shavers cannot accept the fact that they are naturally bald either. They want to be considered part of the 'trend' instead of accepting themselves the way they are. Some, however, shave because they want to look younger, feel better or just forget about hair altogether. Sometimes, bald men shave because they flat-out look better than with the disproportioned horseshoe. Some men with comb overs just want to have hair on their heads so they can recognize their faces when they look in the mirror - which is understandable.

In summation, I believe that there is not one answer to my original question. Some men shave because they cannot accept their natural hairloss; in contrast, others shave because they look better that way. I do not believe that men with comb overs ought to be ridiculed any more than fellas who shave their heads - because they are in denial about their genetics. Why is either type of man necessarily ridiculed? The problem I see is the notion that there is some difference between the two groups; there is not.

Shaved is still way better than combing it over. It looks ridiculous and desperate because it's untidy and awkward takes more time etc etc just so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedwacker View Post
    . Some men shave because they cannot accept their natural hairloss; in contrast, others shave because they look better that way. I do not believe that men with comb overs ought to be ridiculed any more than fellas who shave their heads - because they are in denial about their genetics. Why is either type of man necessarily ridiculed? The problem I see is the notion that there is some difference between the two groups; there is not.
    There's a big difference IMO

Both are lsoing their hair

One has chosen to face reality, accept it and rather than hide it ( by wearing a rug, hat etc ) shave or cut it very short so they look presentable

The other know they are balding and choose to grow their hair long and comb it over to hide their baldness . End result it looks stupid IMO . See Trump as an example or any of these photos

http://www.holytaco.com/combover-awe...photo-gallery/

comb overs are ridiculous! It says to the world they are big cowards! It is almost as if the person is trying to deceive everyone he comes in contact with.

#1.shaved head is modern.#2 a bald man loosing his hair who shaves head is telling the world he owns it! He's saying he is man enough to handle it.

comb over and shaved heads are two totally different categories!

Question:

How many ladies does the NW7 maths teacher with the end-to-end 10 strand comb-over pull?

A) None
    B) None
    C) None

Shave down is way better than comb over.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

I think the one major difference is that I've met many women (and in fact, some gay men) who are attracted to men with shaved heads, and like the look. I have never met a woman who considers a comb-over to be attractive.

I once saw an interview with Patrick Stewart, and he said that he had a combover in his twenties, and as soon as he got rid of it he starting drowning in a sea of high-quality poontang (that might not be a direct quote).

I agree that men with combovers shouldn't be ridiculed, though.

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
    comb overs are ridiculous! It says to the world they are big cowards! It is almost as if the person is trying to deceive everyone he comes in contact with.

#1.shaved head is modern.#2 a bald man loosing his hair who shaves head is telling the world he owns it! He's saying he is man enough to handle it.

comb over and shaved heads are two totally different categories!
    I don't agree that they are necessarily different categories. If shaved headed men have so much "courage" as you say, then why weren't MPB sufferers not shaving down in the 1980's and early 1990's? Originally, I buzzed my hair down in 1992 when no one else was doing it. I was 16 years old and noticeably balding, so I tried to make it less obvious. Was I weak? Absolutely. Of course, I was ridiculed for doing it. There were no shaved headed men back then. Gee, I wonder why?

I wouldn't say a shaved head is necessarily modern because men who lost in combat hundreds of years ago were sometimes forced to shave their heads as a sign of weakness and submission. Inmates were also required to buzz down.

I have heard many bald headed, shaved men admit that they shave because they want to hide their male pattern baldness. They are weak, not ballsy. It's the same concept as a comb over. They are trying to deceive people into thinking that they are bald by choice - and not genetically bald. Furthermore, as stated previously, if this was 1987 they wouldn't be doing it at all.

Similar to men who lost in combat, I wouldn't say that shaved headed men are "owning" anything because, irrespective of their shaved head, they were forced to submit to nature. Baldness forces its 'victims' into a monomaniac (for lack of a better term) look. Shaving implies a false power. There are no options when you're bald, and shaving doesn't change that.

Correction: If shaved headed men have so much 'courage' as you say, then why weren't they shaving in the 1980's and early 1990's? This speaks of conformity and trends.

Because all it probably took was for one person ( famous , well known ) to start the trend and then others followed .

As for the conformity / trends ......so what ?
    It's like alot of things in life .
    One person starts something , it becomes poular / fashionable and everyone follows .
    I remember when George CLooney cut his hair really short and combed it forward . I wasn't particularly fond of it but soon it became the "in " thing .

And the comb over looks ridiculous no matter what the reason. All you need os a big gust of wind and then you have a foot and half of hair hang off of one side of your head