+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Finasteride Month 6- INSANE SHEDDING!!!

I noticed my hair line was receding at about 19 and I started on Rogaine 5% within months after turning 20 and didn't notice any results positve or not but I kept at it regardless. Fast forward to now, I'm 23 and started finasteride 6 months ago. Initially I had some shedding but nothing major and then positive results started coming in. Even my hairline was coming in and I noticed so many hairs regrowing. Then it all took a turn, more hair was falling out and over the course of two weeks it escalated from like 40-50 to now it's got to be well over 150 a day.
    Has anybody else experienced this?
    Should I quit or ride this horrible stretch out?

All opinions/stories are welcome

Thanks in advance guys

Lol not the response I anticipated but I'll update everybody on the process/struggle. There is a major variance in the amount of hairs lost per day but the 150 hairs I said before may have been a bit off. The actual amount lost daily now is most likely well into the 200s (haven't counted, general estimate), I didn't know people had this much hair. Showering feels like the iconic shower scene from Psycho with my hair circling the drain. It's a shock every morning because I comb out what I can so none of it gets on my clothes but I still need to carry a lint roller to use between classes to keep it under control.

The hairs falling out range from bleach blonde (my hair is light brown/dirty blonde) to black with some frizzy clear ones thrown in for good measure. The strange thing is they are all rather thick and I had heard we only lose the weak/brittle strands so they can regrow.

Is this shedding or something more? Does anybody know why I am seeing negative symptoms so far into my trial? Any estimates on how long this will last?

Just so everybody knows I have tried to get into contact with the doctor that prescribed me the Finasteride but he is unavailable until May 2nd when I'm scheduled to have another appointment. Don't quite know what this will entail but the word "bloodwork" was tossed around.

Has anybody tried Finasteride with shoulder-length hair before?

PS I am thankful that the OTHER possible side effects haven't happened *knocks on wood*

Kyle, I'll assume you were pretty damn desperate to fall on finasteride.

At 6 months in there should be no shedding and you should only be seeing results. Speaking of which, despite the shed, how is your hair? Does it look stronger than when you started or is it weak and receding? That should give you a pretty good indication of what you're up for.

That's the problem with finasteride. Not only does it **** up your hormonal balance, results are not even guaranteed.

Tough one man.

PS Hair length makes NO difference at all in matters of hair loss/ drug use. Nor does it weaken your hair. It just looks shitty if you have thin hair. I've been cutting my hair shorter and shorter as my hair loss progresses just so that I don't look like the ridiculous Baldilocks Pub Rock Archetype.

It's not that I was desperate, it's that it was prescribed. In actuality I was trying to be proactive and stop the hair loss. What I really wanted to do was maintain my existing hair and thicken up the hairline, same old song and dance as a lot of the people on here.
    To answer your other question since the shed my hair has thinned a great deal and has become obvious in some places so I style it different now than I used to but it's not that bad. NW 3 if I had to guess

Should I ease off or quit cold turkey?

Doctors will obviously prescribe you medications. It's how they build houses and buy yachts. And this isn't diabetes or cancer, this is a cosmetic condition. So be double wary of "prescribed" medications.

Also, I'll assume you were buying generic Proscar and cutting up the pills in 4 pieces. Because if you were taking 5mg Finasteride for non-prostate issues, you my friend, are fairly ****ed.

Anyhow, consut with your doctor ASAP and if you decide to quit, do NOT go cold turkey, since that will result in an even greater shed. Again, consult with your doctor for the optimal exit strategy.

Any update kyle? I'm in the same boat... so much worse than base line its not funny

Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    I noticed my hair line was receding at about 19 and I started on Rogaine 5% within months after turning 20 and didn't notice any results positve or not but I kept at it regardless. Fast forward to now, I'm 23 and started finasteride 6 months ago. Initially I had some shedding but nothing major and then positive results started coming in. Even my hairline was coming in and I noticed so many hairs regrowing. Then it all took a turn, more hair was falling out and over the course of two weeks it escalated from like 40-50 to now it's got to be well over 150 a day.
    Has anybody else experienced this?
    Should I quit or ride this horrible stretch out?

All opinions/stories are welcome

Thanks in advance guys
    are you getting oily scalp? itching scalp?

Quote Originally Posted by alex82 View Post
    Any update kyle? I'm in the same boat... so much worse than base line its not funny
    alex whats your status?

Well the shed is showing no signs of slowing... loosing a lot of healthy looking hairs from all over the head and scalp is very much visible. people have noticed as 6 months ago my hair was full and thick but with minor recession. some hairs that are regowing are coming back much thinner than the lost ones. so it would appear that fin has accelerated the miniturization process especially at the front.

Quote Originally Posted by alex82 View Post
    Well the shed is showing no signs of slowing... loosing a lot of healthy looking hairs from all over the head and scalp is very much visible. people have noticed as 6 months ago my hair was full and thick but with minor recession. some hairs that are regowing are coming back much thinner than the lost ones. so it would appear that fin has accelerated the miniturization process especially at the front.
    you must have had this:
    http://www.hairlosshelp.com/hair_los...rogenicity.cfm