+ Reply to Thread
    Skeptic1st

Default 1st time to the site

Hi everyone, after reading more of the threads on here,Im getting second thoughts about my surgery in three days.Im a 37 year old guy who has been ignoring my hair loss for a LONG time,but I decided I could no longer put up with the low self esteem it has ben giving me.So Im scheduled for my first session with Dr Pistone in New Jersey this wednesday, Jan 21st at 1:30pm.My concerns have to do with the scarring afterward in both the donor area(strip method) and the transplant area.Also,How much additional hair(from shock)will I lose during surgery for the first year?The doctor told me that any additional hair lost would be just weak hair anyway and subject to eventually falling out on its own.Im so glad my wife is supportive of me doing this because it will not be easy on our budget.I must have a thousand negative reasons running through my mind why this is a bad idea at this point in my life,but I know It will get better once I commit to this.I am someone who tends to analyze everything and I trust NO ONE because Ive been ripped off financially and emotionally in the past.The other reason Im doing this now is for my kids,since they are only three and five years old, they wont remember me when I was Bald, except for old photos and Im really not even an extreme bald case, only on my frontal lobe. The rest is thinning badly and its only a matter of time till its gone with the wind.I also have to consider what type of hat I can where to work next week post op.The redness in the transplant area will be visable how many days afterward?My immediate family(except for my wife)doesnt know Im doing this so will it be obvious enough to have to explain or can I wait till my hair thickens many months after the surgery to suprise them?I will post here again once I get the results.
    Dale

Arrow Hair Transplant Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic1st View Post
    Hi everyone, after reading more of the threads on here,Im getting second thoughts about my surgery in three days.Im a 37 year old guy who has been ignoring my hair loss for a LONG time,but I decided I could no longer put up with the low self esteem it has ben giving me.So Im scheduled for my first session with Dr Pistone in New Jersey this wednesday, Jan 21st at 1:30pm.My concerns have to do with the scarring afterward in both the donor area(strip method) and the transplant area.Also,How much additional hair(from shock)will I lose during surgery for the first year?The doctor told me that any additional hair lost would be just weak hair anyway and subject to eventually falling out on its own.Im so glad my wife is supportive of me doing this because it will not be easy on our budget.I must have a thousand negative reasons running through my mind why this is a bad idea at this point in my life,but I know It will get better once I commit to this.I am someone who tends to analyze everything and I trust NO ONE because Ive been ripped off financially and emotionally in the past.The other reason Im doing this now is for my kids,since they are only three and five years old, they wont remember me when I was Bald, except for old photos and Im really not even an extreme bald case, only on my frontal lobe. The rest is thinning badly and its only a matter of time till its gone with the wind.I also have to consider what type of hat I can where to work next week post op.The redness in the transplant area will be visable how many days afterward?My immediate family(except for my wife)doesnt know Im doing this so will it be obvious enough to have to explain or can I wait till my hair thickens many months after the surgery to suprise them?I will post here again once I get the results.
    Dale
    Hey Skeptic1st,

Welcome to the forum! Dr. Pistone is an extremely honest and ethical surgeon who, to my knowledge, always provides his patients with a realistic picture of all possible complications associated with hair transplant surgery. It’s good that you're doing your due diligence and it’s normal to have second thoughts about undergoing the procedure.

All I can say is that a person has to go with their gut. If you believe that you've done a sufficient amount of research, and fully understand the entire scope and possible pitfalls of the procedure than you’re in good shape.

We’d love for you to document your journey on the forum, so feel free to upload photos and to write about your procedure and your daily, weekly or monthly progress.

Here are some links to articles written for the IAHRS Info Center addressing some of your concerns.

Hope this helps!

http://hairloss.iahrs.org/hair-trans...complications/

http://hairloss.iahrs.org/hair-trans...of-shock-loss/

http://hairloss.iahrs.org/hair-trans...ir-transplant/

http://hairloss.iahrs.org/hair-trans...hytic-closure/
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.