+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Anyone else fed up about hearing possible cure

Hello,

The last few months, I've seen numerous headlines like 'Scientists Find Possible Cure For Baldness‎'; 'Hereditary baldness gene identified', etc. Don't get me wrong, I am really pleased to see that we are getting 'closer' to finding this cure; however I am sick of reading those headlines that gives false hope. We keep hearing, in the next 5 years and so on. Here is some news, in five years, other headlines will say baldness cure in 5 years. I am begining to think that this 'cure' will never happen in my lifetime.

For the case of baldness, I'd rather companies stop publicising their 'potential cure' until they know it will work - or better even after they have done clinical trials. I am still waiting and I'm fed up!

Inactive

Wanna know a secret my UK friend?

I am only fed up with all those threads coming up with the title " Sick of a non existing cure" " Cure will never come" "Science sucks" etc

If you have something to contribute then ask a question in certain threads about the stuff you believe to be non existing.

They created articifial follicles in germany last year btw but nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by seraphix View Post
    Hello,

The last few months, I've seen numerous headlines like 'Scientists Find Possible Cure For Baldness‎'; 'Hereditary baldness gene identified', etc. Don't get me wrong, I am really pleased to see that we are getting 'closer' to finding this cure; however I am sick of reading those headlines that gives false hope. We keep hearing, in the next 5 years and so on. Here is some news, in five years, other headlines will say baldness cure in 5 years. I am begining to think that this 'cure' will never happen in my lifetime.

For the case of baldness, I'd rather companies stop publicising their 'potential cure' until they know it will work - or better even after they have done clinical trials. I am still waiting and I'm fed up!
    Not at all, so long as the new breakthroughs are scientifically substantiated and plausible, whats wrong with hearing about them?

Would you not feel rather annoyed not being able to follow the progress of some of the treatments in clinical trial today?

It's very exciting to read about this stem cell research stuff and the injection Histogen is working on. I mean, an injection that promotes hair with just one shot for a whole year and it's only in testing mode still. What I don't like it's this stuff like TRX2 and I hate how people are falling for it but oh well. I really rather follow news about a cure than spend $300+ on an unproven hair loss treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    It's very exciting to read about this stem cell research stuff and the injection Histogen is working on. I mean, an injection that promotes hair with just one shot for a whole year and it's only in testing mode still. What I don't like it's this stuff like TRX2 and I hate how people are falling for it but oh well. I really rather follow news about a cure than spend $300+ on an unproven hair loss treatment.
    Hairs grown with HSC are maintained even after 2 years, after 1 injection. Now thats groundbreaking news I wanna know about.

The whole reason I joined this site is because it has the latest info on hair restoration treatments, day by day updates and you even get to share a platform with individuals involved in the studies, BTT owns.

Guess it's waaaay too early to ask this Q - but will the HSC treatment cost mega-buck's? And is it likely to be available in the UK?!

Im 42 years of age and can honestly say for the last twenty years ,on a yearly basis, there is always a new ` miracle cure ` and its always 5 years away ! so yes is the answer to your question , lets be honest has anyone ever seen a `bald mouse ` ?? ... No me neither , so why are scientists knocking out quotes like " grew hair on 8 out of 10 mice " ... the future is Beard Hair I believe , and Drs will just have to get better at extracting it and producing good yeilds , some already are !

ej

Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    Im 42 years of age and can honestly say for the last twenty years ,on a yearly basis, there is always a new ` miracle cure ` and its always 5 years away ! so yes is the answer to your question , lets be honest has anyone ever seen a `bald mouse ` ?? ... No me neither , so why are scientists knocking out quotes like " grew hair on 8 out of 10 mice " ... the future is Beard Hair I believe , and Drs will just have to get better at extracting it and producing good yeilds , some already are !

ej
    The level of breakthroughs happening today and the number of treatments currently in clinical trial (including AT LONG LAST Acell) does not compare to any previous time in history. What you may have perceived before were probably snake-oil products claiming to provide an effective "70%+ gains after 6 months" only to find the words "minoxodil" stapled with ill-deserved presence in the ingredients list.

from 1980 - 1995, there was barely anything, Minox had just been approved and Propecia was still in clinical trials.

1995 - 2003 - an explosion in scientific breakthroughs, the genome project had just been drafted and belief in gene therapy - hair multiplication - cloning etc was "all the rage". I understand that at this point nothing DID materialise, and they did say 5 years, but the average FDA approval is usually over a decade for regenerative medicines anyway.

2003 - present - we now have such treatments in the pipeline, clinical trials and great results - granted they are only in early trials but I honestly believe no time throughout history compares to what we are seeing today.

We are seeing a general explosion in scientific breakthroughs on a month by month basis in medicine and technology these days, I do believe that within the next 5 - 10 years (lol couldnt help it) one of these breakthroughs will rid humanity of androgenetic alopecia.

P.S. Does anyone know what happend to Luna (?) the 'Nanotechnology' cure for MPB?

find a regime that works for you and go on with your life.Being a debbie downer about will do nothing..get a grip

When I began to lose my hair eight years ago, hair cloning was five years away and had been 'five years away' for about three years! There's a good and a bad reason why people always say five years: the good reason is that's how long clinical trials and FDA approval normally takes; that's the length of time between a plausible solution and the product getting to the market.

The bad reason is that HT doctors with no scruples, companies short on capital and companies wanting to sell propecia and minoxidil also say five years. Why? Well, a doctor can sell an unsuitable transplant to a patient (e.g. someone who looks like he'll be a NW7) if he convinces them that in only five years time he can have a top up. Also, companies selling propecia and minoxidil, treatments which can normally only delay hair loss at best in my opinion, will find it easier to sell their product as 'maintenance' if a cure is due imminently. Another bad reason is that companies might need more capital for research, and will exaggerate their findings to attract investment.

If you apply this to hair cloning, the doctors behind it didn't normally say 5 years. They were quite prepared to say it could take more than a decade. The '5 years' tended to come from websites whose authenticity was no better or worse than Wikipedia.

Of course, earlier than the 2000s, companies would also say five years. This was before the internet was the force that it is today. Much like today, the internet was awash with bogus rubbish but the number of users was much more limited so people got away with it more often. In the early days, the internet was a real scammers paradise.

Which gets us on to what we have today. Hair cloning is still in the pipeline; it's not like it was a 'five year' solution that fell out of sight. Histogen were five years last year, four years now, which has got to be good.

I also think TRX2 should be taken more seriously. Contrary to popular opinion, it is not bogus science and the key people in the project include some very talented scientists. Thomas Whitfield has a PhD from perhaps the best university in the UK (although Cambridge might well be better than Oxford!) and has a reputation to sustain. That is in stark contrast to the usual scams, which are normally faceless and a variation on a recipe of saw palmetto and other herbs (actually, I'm not sure they can be called scams, because saw palmetto does reduce the body's creation of DHT. Better to call them crap products rather than scams I think. The scams tend to be in the form of e-books or the scalp expansion theory).