+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hair Follicles

Default Hair Follicles

Do your hair follicles ever completely die and become inactive? Or are they always producing hairs, even if they are microscopic. I'm asking because if your hair follicles completely die and become inactive than there really is no way to grow your hairs back, with hair multiplication or anything, is there? I would hope not, for the sake of every human that has to deal with this, but do your hair follicles always remain active?

I believe the answer is no (or at least not until long after balding has progressed). From what I have read, hair follicles can definitely miniaturize, resulting in thinner hair. They can also go "dormant" and be temporarily not be producing hair, without actually losing the capacity to produce hair. However, neither of these is necessarily irreversible.

I read once that in the later stages of balding, hair follicles can basically "atrophy" and break down to the point when they can no longer produce hair. I don't remember the details of the article, but I remember this was a years and years down the line type of concern.

Inactive

Agree with drgrant here. Before follicles actually die, you would rot six feet under, thats the good part. But of course if you bald really fast, there is a chance that your follicles will die forever.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardDawkins View Post
    Agree with drgrant here. Before follicles actually die, you would rot six feet under, thats the good part. But of course if you bald really fast, there is a chance that your follicles will die forever.
    How fast do you mean?