Swelling on 4th day..please respond..thanks! - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Swelling on 4th day..please respond..thanks!

Hi..I just had hair transplant surgery on 4 days ago with Dr Powlinga who works with Dr Beehner in Saratoga..The staff was great, the surgery went well(1,600 graffs..4,000 hairs) and other than initial shot was surprisingly painless!..we talked some about post surgery..they said that there might be swelling on the 3rd or 4th day..Other than some significant itching at night which i understand is normal, I thought it was going very well and was going to get away without swelling..Not so lucky!

I have some significant swelling above & around the top of my nose and especially in my eyes..Not horrible..just looks like bad alllergies, or like ive been punched!..eyes are half shut..a little panicky but decided that won't help!..I ve taking Predizone daily for last 3 days, tylenol(allergic to advil) and used iced on forehead and eyes..in reading, I am reasurred its a normal part of the process for some..Question Being: The Dr said to go with Icing the swollen area..I have also read that it is good to use a warm/hot wash cloth on swollen area..Which works better and what has your experience been..how long did it last? Thanks!

I have not had a HT so am not an expert but for swelling in general it is best to use ice not heat in the early phase. Ice causes constriction of the blood vessles which leads to decreases influx of inflammatory mediators to the site of injury- therefore less swelling. Heat, in theory, does the opposite- causes dilation of the blood vessles to the area that gets the heat directly and allows more mediators to the site of injury. Make sure your doctor is not concerned about steroid use and post-op healing.

Good luck

My doc gave me steroids to take for 5 days, plus I slept in a recliner for a week. I had no swelling. It will go away!

Junior Member Dr James DeYarman's Avatar

Default Swelling

Post-op swelling of the forehead is due to the saline injections during the hair transplant. Ice will not help this situation in fact can make it worse. You need to put hot moist packs to the forehead for 1-2 minutes then follow with massage of the area for 5 minutes. I have my patient do this every hour for the first 2 days. The massage should be from the midline out above the eyes with the objective to move the fluid out and down into the neck. Place your thumbs under your chin with your fingers above the eyebrows and move from the middle out. Good luck

The swelling usually does not last very long, 3-5 days, then goes away as it it absorbed into surrounding body tissues.

I would imagine by now it has dissipated?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

All normal - it will gradually calm down after 4-6 days. Sleep upright
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Massage your face from the inner forehead towards the edges of your face. It will dissipate the swelling in your face(eyes, nose, eyebrows, etc)TWo days the most you will have this discomfort. Sleep in an upward angle

7 days after HT the swelling is gone. I looked like the elephant guy on the 4th day.

Quote Originally Posted by HairyDude View Post
    7 days after HT the swelling is gone. I looked like the elephant guy on the 4th day.
    Some folks swell more than others.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin