+ Reply to Thread

Default Dermatologist Appt Scheduled!

With the rate at which my hairloss has progressed I've finally decided to see a doc about it. TBH it's not even really noticeable to most people probably aside from maybe how my hairline has recently receded, but my pillow is covered in hair and whenever I run my hand through my hair I have loose hairs coming out. I find hairs all over my desk at work. I'm sick of it!

So I'm going to the doc in a few weeks to see about getting on some generic kind of Finasteride.

A couple questions about it. First, I asked this in a different thread, what is it like traveling abroad with Fin? I'm going to be traveling extensively internationally and want to make sure there isn't a problem with bringing it along.

Second, how much of a prescription can I get at one time? I'm going to be out of town for an extended period and don't want to have to come back just to get a prescription renewed by the doc.

Third, a US-specific question, how would this affect my ability to get an individual health insurance plan? I really don't think it would, as it's not a health issue and I'm more than willing to pay out of pocket for the prescription myself, but I'm just worried that it will really jack up my monthly premiums or might even cause some companies to deny me coverage just for this (I'm completely healthy otherwise, no other prescriptions, medications or conditions).

Fourth, how long should I expect to wait until I see a slowing in my hair loss, or maybe a reversal? I've heard there's an initial shedding period, when does that start usually and how long does it last?

Fifth, for people that have actually firsthand taken Fin, have you experienced the sides? How'd you deal with them? When did you know?

Thanks for the help everyone, I can't wait to not have to worry about this anymore, it's been consuming me for the past couple months! After going on Fin for a month I'll probably start up Minodixil as well if I don't see regrowth on Fin alone.