+ Reply to Thread

Default FUE vs Strip--- best doctors in the US?

Hi everyone,

I am new here, so I apologize in advance if this is a redundant thread. But I have been lurking for a few weeks now, and doing other research. Although, I have learned a lot, there is still a few things that I am not entirely clear on:

I have gotten to the point where I have decided that I need to get a hair transplant. But I am still not entirely clear on the difference between FUE and regular strip hair transplants. Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of the differences, pros and cons etc. Because I don't want to make the wrong choice. I am relatively young (27 years old) so I don't know if that makes any difference, but how should I decide what option is best for me.

Secondly, thanks to these forums I have learned about the IAHRS issue, and not to go to any surgeons outside of that list. I live in Michigan, and there is one surgeon here who was on that list (Dr. Tessler). I was not able to find any information on him here, he doesn't seem to be mentioned by anyone. Should I automatically assume he is a good surgeon and trust him, just because he is on the IAHRS list?

Although, I live in Michigan, I am willing to travel anywhere in the country. For something like this, I am not willing to sacrifice quality of service just to save a little money (I'm already spending a lot, so why not make it count right?) or to have more convenience. I am willing to travel to other states if there are better doctors. I have heard a lot of good things about Dr. Feller in New York for example. Are there any other doctors better or at an equal level of quality? And is the difference in surgeons even big enough to be worth traveling to a different state, if I don't have to? If so, which doctors?

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out. It's just there are so many questions floating around in my head, and I am unsure how to proceed. I'm kind of scared to dive into something like this and just want to make sure I know what I am doing.

Thanks again!

Hi,

FUE produces lower yield and is more successful for smaller sessions. Look around for the consistent results and size sessions they were.

Therefore all really depends on your requirements. Do you have any pictures?

EVERYONE i speak to wants FUE. What you need to understand is FUE is a very difficult procedure to perform well and there is a reason the most consistent FUE clinics only perform small sessions of approx 1000 in a session.

Strip is a MUCH better way to utilise YOUR donor area LONG TERM, much more efficiently and effectively LONG TERM. FUE is only suitable for small sessions up to around 1000+ grafts - This is all you may require... Strip on the other hand enables you to use your donor supply safely and enables you to achieve more grafts in one session whilst managing it effectively for further sessions if needed.. Once you have used up the strip donor sufficiently THEN its a better idea to go in via FUE to tap in to further donor supply if the demand for greater numbers is there initially. FUE is not magic, it is surgery and you will much sooner run out of it as a supply of donor hair, compared to Strip. It all depends on what YOUR individual requirements are.

Think of your donor it like a grid of marbles.

Removing marbles at random from all over (FUE) compared to a line through the middle (strip) which then you close up leaving the grid uniform as it was. Much more efficient way to UTILISE your LIMITED donor supply. If you keep going in via FUE again and again it can ONLY take you so far - then you may well need strip to help meet the ongoing demand. However a strip then taken will be FULL of voids where the FUE 's have been extracted. Not a great way to go about maximising your donor supply IF the demand is there, LONG TERM.

Best
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Thanks that really clears a few things up. The problem was I have never seen a doctor or had a consultation so I am not sure how bad they would consider my case to be or how many grafts it would need. I guess knowing that, would help in determining which of the two to incorporate.

I have posted a few HQ pics below. While I obviously would not sport that hairstyle in public, it was parted to show the areas of hair loss that are problmomatic, when I have shorter hair styles. Its funny because it has gotten to the point where even with my long grown-out hair that I have now, it has become nearly impossible to conceal those areas.

I understand that FUE is not as bad with the scarring, and while my hair is thick in the back, I do sometimes buzz it and shorten it.

Also, as you can see the top of my head is not entirely bald, and while it was rapidly deteriorating, it has steadied since the meds (i have been taking Propecia and using Rogaine for a little over a year now). But is it common to have HT's that are in a sense "touch ups" on areas like that, in which there is already hair surrounding it? Or would I have to settle for more of simply a hairline fill-in and not worry about the thinning areas on the top? Because I was hoping to be able to do a bit of both where I could fill in the top of my head as well as lower my hair-line back to where it was a year or two ago. If anybody has any advice on this, or even on questions such as "how low a hairline is feasible in my case" I would greatly appreciate it. Because I am not sure at this point, what is realistic and what I can expect.

Also you mentioned sessions. Is there a preferred way of approaching HTs (multiple sessions of FUE vs 1 session of strip, or vice versa, etc) Is my hair loss significant enough where I would require multiple sessions?

As I said, my hair loss has steadied and even improved, especially in the vertex area, since the use of medications and treatments. But its gotten to the point where I don't think I can fix much of the damage that has already been done without an HT. And while I know that it is kind of the last resort, I feel like I've already hit that point. I just want to know want to make sure that I don't have any wrong expectations and whatnot.

Thanks again for all your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg

Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	8735   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg

Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	8737   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg

Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	8738