+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I believe one has to be very confident to wear a hairpiece simply because society does not 'accept' it. For women it's ok; however, for men it's not. Therefore, a man must be very confident in himself to wear one, and simply not care about the opinions of others. Most people, in my opinion, are very concerned about the opinions of others.

I wore a piece from the time I was 22 to the age of 24. Unfortunately, the piece I wore had far too much density, so it looked fake. With the modern systems, you can get one with medium to light density, and get a texture match as well. Color match is also important. I have naturally wavy hair and my pieces were made with straight hair; therefore, they were fake looking. It is much easier to wear a piece if you have naturally straight hair.

Some men look abnormal when they lose their hair, so I think hairpieces are a great option for those who can't buzz their hair short. If you can deal with the work involved, and it looks good, why not? Unfortunately, most people are brainwashed by the culture in which they live, so they will mock hairpiece wearers. These morons ought to be wholly ignored.

How long is a piece of string?

Inactive

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    How long is a piece of string?
    Longer than our interest in reading irrelevant comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedwacker View Post
    Some men look abnormal when they lose their hair
    That's a claim that needs explanation.
    ... so I think hairpieces are a great option for those who can't buzz their hair short. If you can deal with the work involved, and it looks good, why not?
    Because they all look fake? The view you take is unusual as you yourself wore a hairpiece for two years and decided it looked fake and (I presume) haven't worn one since. It's my strong conviction that modern systems are still easily detectable in the real world despite looking great in the gallery section of hairpiece websites.

Quote Originally Posted by barry77 View Post
    That's a claim that needs explanation.

An explanation as to why some guys look abnormal if they are bald? I shouldn't have to answer that, however, if I must. Baldness is a biological error. We are supposed to have hair on our heads to frame our face, as well as protect our heads from the elements. There is no biological purpose to Male Pattern Baldness, other than to increase the risk of skin cancer and likelyhood of developing pneumonia in cold weather - which is another topic. Take a look at people who are on chemo and tell me how normal they look. Although different from chemo, MPB makes some men look strange because they have no facial frame; hence, they become unrecognizable or look bizarre. It's abnormal looking to have half of your hair missing; it looks as though you walked underneath a ceiling fan too closely. Fortunately, some men, such as Andre Agassi, are able to look pretty good bald. Tell me, if you think baldness is so normal looking, then why are you on this forum?

Because they all look fake? The view you take is unusual as you yourself wore a hairpiece for two years and decided it looked fake and (I presume) haven't worn one since. It's my strong conviction that modern systems are still easily detectable in the real world despite looking great in the gallery section of hairpiece websites.
    My view may appear unusual; however, if you read my post carefully you would have noticed that I was critical of my hairpieces because of density and texture - which are things that are not a problem with new hair systems. Moreover, I wore a piece back in the late 1990's when I was in my early 20's. I am 34 now so I no longer need a piece; I look ok with my hair buzzed to a #1. When I was 21, and a Norwood 6, I looked like a freak bald. I had the face of an 18 year old, and the hairline of an 80 year old; not a good look, especially when you want a job that deals with the public.

Many systems may be detectable; however, not all. During Titanic, Billy Zane (who is actually bald) wore a hairpiece as he starred alongside Leonardo Dicaprio; he played Kate Winslet's domineering husband. You can watch Titanic on a 50 inch plasma T.V. and I doubt you will be able to detect his piece.

Some men find their looks destroyed by Male Pattern Baldness. Wearing a hairpiece is not a great option; however, when you are unrecognizable, or your looks have gone from a 7 to a 2, or you look like a Star Trek character with a shaved or buzzed head then it's a viable alternative. Perhaps, hairloss will be cured in the not too distant future. In the meantime, those whose heads are shaped like a cactus, or whose appearance has been wrecked, or who are not a transplant candidate may benefit from a system.

… however, if you read my post carefully ...
    I did read your post carefully.
    … you would have noticed that I was critical of my hairpieces because of density and texture - which are things that are not a problem with new hair systems.
    I would say that is false. They are still a problem with new hair systems despite the claims.

Many systems may be detectable; however, not all. During Titanic, Billy Zane (who is actually bald) wore a hairpiece as he starred alongside Leonardo Dicaprio; he played Kate Winslet's domineering husband. You can watch Titanic on a 50 inch plasma T.V. and I doubt you will be able to detect his piece.
    That is a very odd example. You're talking about a muilti-million dollar Hollywood film. Make up artists and teams of technicians are on hand to ensure every frame they shoot is perfect. Also, it was made in 1997 which presumably is the era of wig technology you are critical of. I'm sure in real life, standing behind Billy Zane in the sunshine whilst queuing for the ATM machine (for example), It would be a different story.
    Some men find their looks destroyed by Male Pattern Baldness. Wearing a hairpiece is not a great option; however, when you are unrecognizable, or your looks have gone from a 7 to a 2, or you look like a Star Trek character with a shaved or buzzed head then it's a viable alternative. Perhaps, hairloss will be cured in the not too distant future. In the meantime, those whose heads are shaped like a cactus, or whose appearance has been wrecked, or who are not a transplant candidate may benefit from a system.
    Fair enough. Though I personally think that in the long run learning to accept a cactus shaped head is better than becoming paranoid and delusional as I'm sure has been the case for many hairpiece wearers (myself included).

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Longer than our interest in reading irrelevant comments.
    Bahahahahaha! Oh pathy!

My previous post was interjected incorrectly for some reason.

One reason hairpieces often look bad is because of the wearer. When I wore my piece and went into my hair clinic to get it serviced, I would see guys with pieces that looked so bad it was rediculous. Those who are socially unaware and artistically inept will not be able to pull it off. I knew a guy from my studio whose piece looked as good in real life as Zane's in Titanic. His girlfriend was awesome and didn't mind. He had dark hair and the color match was perfect. Therefore, people who think that all pieces look bad are mistaken. One must invest a chunk of money into the maintenance process.

I did wear a piece during the era of Titanic; however, Zane has straight, dark hair which makes it a lot easier. Back then, I was unaware of texture and hair density because I was not made aware of those options.

Barry77, you seem very jaded with regard to your experience with hairpieces, almost to the point of sounding bitter. You may have had a bad experience with them (as did I ); however, what is a kid who is 14 and who has alopecia supposed to do? Even guys who are 18 and balding may not be able to function within society without being incessantly mocked. A system may be the best option for them, especially if they look disfigured.

Hey Weedwhacker, I have 3 questions about hairpieces:

1. Does wearing a hairpiece destroy the hair that should be growing underneath the glue that holds the piece onto your head?

2. If you're with a woman and getting intimate, is it easy for her to detect?

3. How easy is it for a hairpiece to get loose and slip when you're sweating while working out?

very interesting article .thx for post.