Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chewytorch
    • Oct 2010

Dutasteride vs Finasteride?

Dutasteride (Avodart) inhibits both type 1 and type 2 5?-reductase and is approved at the 0.5-mg dose for treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It is about 3 times as potent as finasteride at inhibiting type 2 5?-reductase and more than 100 times as potent at inhibiting the type 1 5?-reductase enzyme.

Dutasteride caused scalp and serum dihydrotestosterone levels to decrease and testosterone levels to increase in a dose-dependent fashion. Whereas 5-mg finasteride decreases serum DHT by about 70%, dutasteride can decrease serum DHT by more than 90%.

Why is Propecia (Finasteride) given more praise than Avodart (Dutasteride) if obviously Dutasteride is better at battling hair loss?
  • mlao
    • Oct 2009

Because Avodart is a much stronger drug that can possibly have more side effects. Think of it this way if Propecia gets you where you want to be why take a stronger drug that you don't need.

Comment

• Spex
      Dr Representative
      • Nov 2008

No long term studies on DUT - why run the risk and put far too much of something in your system if you do not need to.
      Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• odiliaboeso
        • Mar 2011

"Why is Propecia (Finasteride) given more praise than Avodart (Dutasteride) if obviously Dutasteride is better at battling hair loss? "

Maybe because propecia is more well known than Dutasteride.

Comment

• moses0324
          • Jan 2011

^^it has nothing to do with being better/more well known. it has everything to do with finasteride being clinically tested and FDA approved for hairloss. duasteride has not.

Comment

• ned80
            • Nov 2012

finasteride worked better but gave me more sides I buy both without a prescription at http://easy-to-use-pharmacy.com thats where I recommend you get it because some online pharmacies have weak or fake stuff.

Comment

Working...