+ Reply to Thread

Default Almost 18 and wondering about propecia

Ok, so I am almost 18 years old and I have noticed that my hairline is just barely starting to recede. It's receding higher at the right temple than it is at the left but it is still pretty good in my opinion. I am wondering, if I start Propecia now, would I be able to maintain a great head of hairs for a long time. I mean, if everyone whos hairline was starting to recede would have got on Propecia as quick as they could have, wouldn't they all have a good head of hairs. I am just wondering before it's too late...

Junior Member Sara Wasserbauer, MD's Avatar

Default Early Propecia treatment

Dear "Almost 18" -I understand your problem and you are correct, starting Propecia early can hedge against future loss and significantly slow or even regrow hair if you start taking it early enough. There are no scientific studies in young people on this medication, but I can tell you from my experience that it works well. I have put guys as young as 14 on Propecia (with their pediatrician and parents' approval of course) with very good results.

That being said, remember that getting a mature hairline is a GOOD thing! Look at Brad Pitt, or "The Most Interesting Man in the World" from the beer commercials, or Justin Timberlake now that he is older and hoping to be taken seriously... ALL these guys have a little temple recession and IT LOOKS GOOD! Trust me, you don't want to look like a teenager the rest of your life so take a deep breath and allow a little "maturity" to your hairline. It will make you look the most attractive in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Wasserbauer, MD View Post
    Dear "Almost 18" -I understand your problem and you are correct, starting Propecia early can hedge against future loss and significantly slow or even regrow hair if you start taking it early enough. There are no scientific studies in young people on this medication, but I can tell you from my experience that it works well. I have put guys as young as 14 on Propecia (with their pediatrician and parents' approval of course) with very good results.

Thank you Sara, your answer helped a lot. I have another question though, what are the chances of my dermatologist prescribing my Propecia. Should I suggest to him if he doesn't automatically recommend it himself?

Quote Originally Posted by chewytorch View Post
    Ok, so I am almost 18 years old and I have noticed that my hairline is just barely starting to recede. It's receding higher at the right temple than it is at the left but it is still pretty good in my opinion. I am wondering, if I start Propecia now, would I be able to maintain a great head of hairs for a long time. I mean, if everyone whos hairline was starting to recede would have got on Propecia as quick as they could have, wouldn't they all have a good head of hairs. I am just wondering before it's too late...
    Dr. Wasserbauer gave you some good advice. Some guys start to notice their hairline going up slightly between 18 to about 21. It’s possible that you are not going to deal with MPB for many years. You might want to meet with an IAHRS doctor to have your hair checked out to see if you even need to start Propecia.

What did you mean by "It's possible that you are not going to deal with MPB for many years."

Junior Member Sara Wasserbauer, MD's Avatar

Definitely have a discussion with your dermatologist. Your parent/guardian might have to be involved, though, if you are under 18 in certain states.

Quote Originally Posted by chewytorch View Post
    What did you mean by "It's possible that you are not going to deal with MPB for many years."
    It means that you might not be suffering with MPB. Only a doctor will be able to diagnose you.

Ok, thank you

Ok, that is what I thought you meant but I wasn't sure. But I think (hopefully not) that I could have MPB since a lot of people on both sides are bald. It really wouldn't bother me that much if it didn't hit me in my youth, or even early adulthood.