+ Reply to Thread

Default Questions/Tips on first consultation please!

Hello all, new here, first post! I have been reading the various threads on this forum for a few weeks now and have benefit from the countless posts! It is here where I found the Dr. that I have an appointment with tomorrow and will go in for my first consultation. I have very thin hair with a pretty bad receding hair line, at the age of 22! I am hoping I can get on some sort of regiment for now and hopefully be a candidate for a hair transplant and go through with the procedure as soon as my Dr. gives the "ok".

So basically what I`d like to know is if there is anything in particular to take away from this first consultation? Any questions I should ask? This may seem weird but I have no idea what to expect. Dealing with this issue is relatively new, it's not that I have been in denial, it's more like I was ok with what was going on and thought it to be natural. After reading some stuff online and here I quickly realized that I could take action to slow down the hair loss and improve the quality of my hair and so I feel compelled to do so which is why I am going tomorrow!
    Anyways sorry to ramble, thanks for any input guys.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by JudeL View Post
    I am hoping I can get on some sort of regiment for now and hopefully be a candidate for a hair transplant and go through with the procedure as soon as my Dr. gives the "ok".
    Given your age, any ethical hair restoration surgeon would probably not give you the "ok" for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Given your age, any ethical hair restoration surgeon would probably not give you the "ok" for several years.
    ***I am hoping I can get on some sort of regiment for now and hopefully be a candidate for a hair transplant and go through with the procedure as soon as my Dr. gives the "ok".**

I never said I`m looking to get one now or in the near future.
    I said I am seeking a good regime and will consider one in the future as soon as my doctor says im a candidate...

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Patients at your age could be a potential candidate. Age is only one factor that should be used in determining which patients make good candidates for hair transplantation. I am sure you have had your consultation by know. How did it go? Are you currently taking any treatments to try and prevent further hair loss. At your age prevention should be a important part of you long term plan.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Patients at your age could be a potential candidate. Age is only one factor that should be used in determining which patients make good candidates for hair transplantation. I am sure you have had your consultation by know. How did it go? Are you currently taking any treatments to try and prevent further hair loss. At your age prevention should be a important part of you long term plan.

Hello Dr., nice to speak with you, appreciate the reply to this post.

I had an initial consultation where I was advised by the Dr. I am a candidate for a transplant. Although due to the fact that I was very inconsistent and early in my prevention regiment/treatment to combat my thinning hair and loss of it in general, I was told to go on finasteride (proscar) @ 1.25mg per day for 6 months and to come back to set up the HT. Other than the finasteride, I have not been using anything else, I have rogaine but havent used it in 2-3 weeks. Is there anything you recommend?

From what I was told by the HT Dr. I consulted with, the only down-side to undergoing such a procedure at a young age would be the up-keep in the future, with the good possibility that I can be plagued with further hairloss and thinning/balding which would in-turn require further procedures and more $$. Unfortunately I rather salvage what I can now, instill a bit more confidence in myself for my 20s lol, than undergo a drastic change in the future where it will be a lot more noticeable if I do a HT.

Again if theres anything you feel I am wrong about or any recommendations please let me know.