+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default propecia shed is UNBEARABLE

I had began taking propecia last year when I actually had some hair that I could spare for the shed process. After a year and losing about 3/4 of what I had, it finally began to work. However, it took the doctor about month to get me a new prescription for the last three months worth. I began taking it again and am losing more hair than ever. The difference in my hair is strikingly apparent and scalp is quite noticeable. There are only a few hairs left to cover everything. What do I do? I lost so much hair last year that if I have to go through this process again I will without a doubt be bald at twenty within the next two months or so.

Man i'm really confused right now, this is the second bad news i've heard of Propecia on these forums. I'm only 3 months in to my 5mg generic Fin and my hair loss stopped 1 month in, plus I already regrew hair on my vertex in these 3 months also using Kirkland's minoxidil. I'm thinking if I should expect this long shedding you guys are going through when I hit my 1 year mark?

I have read doctors on here say shedding is a part of the process and it's a good sign that it's going to regrow stronger hair follicles. Maybe you should ride it out? One important aspect of getting on a hair treatment is to be patient. If this happens to me, i'll most likely panic too, but i'll try my best to ride it out.

Believe it or not, shedding after starting a treatment is fairly common. In fact, more often than not, our users report increased loss a few weeks to a few months after starting Propecia or Rogaine (or both!). But what a shock it can be to those who don't expect it. They finally take that dive into the daily commitment of fighting their hair loss

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by saniaa83 View Post
    Believe it or not, shedding after starting a treatment is fairly common. In fact, more often than not, our users report increased loss a few weeks to a few months after starting Propecia or Rogaine (or both!). But what a shock it can be to those who don't expect it. They finally take that dive into the daily commitment of fighting their hair loss
    I've been reading a lot about Propecia and shedding and when I started using Propecia, I've had my share of initial shedding and read that it's part of the "results" so I stuck with it. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by saniaa83 View Post
    What if you were shedding already? Is more shedding a good sign and how would you know if it's working?

^^everyone responds differently...

scenarios:

1. some experience more or increased hairloss on propecia than without it
    2. some experience shedding and then a regrow
    3. some experience shedding and no regrow
    4. some experience no shedding but hairloss is halted

There are so many results and everyone is different. My opinion is if a user doesnt have any side effects, give it a try for at least a year unless you are experiencing dramatic increased hairloss. At the one year marker, evaluate your continued use and make a decision.

The problem is that this is the second time I'm going through this shed, I already experienced it once. However, if I have to wait another year then I'm going to have nothing left. It worked at the first year mark but the pharmaceutical company took forever to get me another prescription. Soo frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    The problem is that this is the second time I'm going through this shed, I already experienced it once. However, if I have to wait another year then I'm going to have nothing left. It worked at the first year mark but the pharmaceutical company took forever to get me another prescription. Soo frustrating.
    that is why i mentioned the caveat...if you experience severe hairloss or increased shedding that has not reduced within a few weeks time then the treatment should be discontinued.

in your case it sounds like you need to be more proactive due to a lazy doc which is unfortuante...at this point you can only live and learn. go with another doc or call in earlier next time.

I think a year of shedding is too long to wait for results. When you say it finally started working after a year, how extreme were the positive results?

When I started with propecia I was told the initial shedding shouldn't exceed a few weeks to a few months. After about 2.5 months of pretty bad shedding, I got really concerned about the amount of hair I was losing and stopped the treatment.

to jamesg431, im at about the 2 month mark also and have had shedding since I started, and ive considered qutting but have been told itll stop, since youve discontinued using propecia, have you noticed any thickening or regrowth of what was shed?