Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • topcat
    • May 2009

$3000 for 30 plucked hairs

It's a money grab plain and simple. Taking advantage of desperate young balding men is easy to do and there will always be someone out there to do it. It will not matter if it doesn't pan out in the end because the money will have already have been made.
  • PayDay
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by topcat
    It's a money grab plain and simple. Taking advantage of desperate young balding men is easy to do and there will always be someone out there to do it. It will not matter if it doesn't pan out in the end because the money will have already have been made.
    I was listening to tonight's show and almost fell of my chair when that guy Marcus said that Hitzig wanted to charge him between $3000 to $4000
    for 30 to 40 plucked hairs. I am hoping that the guy got the figure wrong, but if this is true it is highway robbery. I’m glad that Spencer said that he thought that it was ridiculous and that this guy should not do it and that people should wait to see results.

Comment

• mlao
      • Oct 2009

I may be wrong but didn't Dr. Cooley say his fee was 10.00 per hair?

Comment

• SilverSurfer
        • Oct 2010

No, he said he would be charging the same as for a FUT procedure.

Comment

• badbald
          • Jan 2011

if you go to India it will come down to 1-2$ per follicle... for a 1000 bucks and another 1500 for the ticket you can have a nice vacation and get those hair implanted...

Comment

• RichardDawkins
            Inactive
            • Jan 2011

Ok 3000 dollar for 30 single hairs is ridicolous.

Comment

• plopp
              • Dec 2010

Why did he only need 30 hairs?

Also, is it possible to listen to the show after it has aired? Have been looking around for a while but cant find anything..

Comment

• topcat
                • May 2009

30 hairs was only a test procedure for which this person Marcus was quoted $3000 It sounds like Marcus has been around the block and knows better than to get suckered into it.

Only a very desperate balding man would pay that kind of money for something that has zero pictorial proof of growing any substantial amount of hair in as little as a 1 sq cm area of balding scalp.

Those that are encouraging others to go out and try it to those that are more desperate than themselves for their own benefit should grow a pair of balls, open up their wallet and get in the chair themselves.

To me it's like watching someone on the ledge and encouraging them to jump, it's irresponsible. Of course it would benefit me to have others try plucking, but to see another person harmed financially or emotionally is not worth the price and it doesn't have to be that way.

Comment

• UK_
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by badbald
                  if you go to India it will come down to 1-2$ per follicle... for a 1000 bucks and another 1500 for the ticket you can have a nice vacation and get those hair implanted...
                  ...yeah... And arrive back fully lobotomised.

Comment

• UK_
                    • Feb 2011

We and they don't even know if this procedure works let alone worrying about the potential cost. Obviously efficacy will dictate the price whence the market drives down costs through competition. But I would be shocked to see it get that far.

Comment

• Gubter_87
                      • Aug 2010

I did not hear the show, but this just cannot be accurate, can it? Sounds like a bad joke, especially as cooley is charging the same as for a fut at the moment. I think dr. Hitzig needs to comment on this to straighten out what has to be a misunderstanding.

Comment

• CVAZBAR
                        • Dec 2010

These dickheads don't want help. If they were real men, that actually wanted to help, they would charge a fair price and not charge you if you didn't get any good results. If it did work, than they would make more than enough money.

Comment

• Bakez
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by CVAZBAR
                          These dickheads don't want help. If they were real men, that actually wanted to help, they would charge a fair price and not charge you if you didn't get any good results. If it did work, than they would make more than enough money.
                          If i was in their situation, I would charge patients the costs of materials, and then if the procedure yielded good results I would then charge for the 'procedure'

after all the Drs do have to give up their time from doing other money generating procedures to do this research, so they cant do it all for free

but i think acell is another false hope like i first suspected anyway now

Comment

• Gubter_87
                            • Aug 2010

To be fair then even if this turns out to work very well - there are no patents to be taken, and the doctors have already been very open with their findings so any other doctor could probably replicate the procedure quite well.

Therefor I don't think it's unfair of the doctors to charge people for the procedure at this point, because at the end of the day if it turns out to be a viable treatment they wont earn more money than any other doctors out of it. On the contrary I think it's very fair of Dr. Cooley to charge the same amount that he does for FUT, even though the plucking procedure takes way longer and is way more tedious. Although he has said that once he can definately guarantee results the price will go up to a limit where it should be for the the time he puts into the procedure.

If anyone should be paying for this it should be matristem. And they used to supply the doctors with free A-cell until they reckoned it was proven to be effective.

Comment

• Winston
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bakez
                              If i was in their situation, I would charge patients the costs of materials, and then if the procedure yielded good results I would then charge for the 'procedure'

after all the Drs do have to give up their time from doing other money generating procedures to do this research, so they cant do it all for free

but i think acell is another false hope like i first suspected anyway now
                              Spencer mentioned something about that on the show last night. If I remember correctly, he said that he understands why these doctors are charging for the treatment even if it is experimental because of the cost of the material and staff, but he seemed appalled to hear what Dr. Hitzig wanted to charge the caller. It adds up to be about $100 per hair! He said that Dr. Hitzig has plenty of patients to experiment on during his hair transplant procedures so people should hold off to see results before rushing to have this done with Dr. Hitzig, especially at that price.

I think what Dr. Cooley is charging, even though it’s experimental, is fair since the average FUT is about $5 per graft.

Comment

Working...