+ Reply to Thread

Question "Skin Grafts for Hair 1984"

In late 1984, I went to NYC responding to a company advertising "Skin Grafts for Hair". It wasn't what one would think, they were going to take skin from my legs and make 2 front and one back "overpasses"on my head. They made hairpieces with the "underpasses" to clip onto it. I didn't get it because I felt if they were the only company making these types of hairpieces, what would happen if they went out of business?
    I was wondering if anyone has even heard of this. Also, if the company is still in business; I haven't seen them advertised anymore a couple of years after that, and don't remember the name of it.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Keith44 View Post
    In late 1984, I went to NYC responding to a company advertising "Skin Grafts for Hair". It wasn't what one would think, they were going to take skin from my legs and make 2 front and one back "overpasses"on my head. They made hairpieces with the "underpasses" to clip onto it. I didn't get it because I felt if they were the only company making these types of hairpieces, what would happen if they went out of business?
    I was wondering if anyone has even heard of this. Also, if the company is still in business; I haven't seen them advertised anymore a couple of years after that, and don't remember the name of it.
    Hey Keith,

You’re lucky that you dodged that bullet!

What you are describing was marketed in the U.S. under different names, but is known in the field as "tunnel grafting." A tunnel graft involves taking skin grafts from the leg, the hip or behind the ear, and attaching them to the bald scalp in the form of loops. Once the tissue heals into these Frankenstein like, freakish skin loops, a hair piece can then either be clipped or woven through these loops to secure the hair to the clients head.

This technique was marketed as a “permanent solution” to hair loss, and thousands of men and women fell into the clutches of the monsters who perpetrated this dangerous fraud.

Besides the obvious issues with infection, discomfort and the fact that this “permanent” hair loss solution was far from permanent, people were having their scalps severely damaged and permanently scared when the hair would be pulled on or caught on something to the point of ripping out the skip loops.

These procedures were basically back alley medicine being performed by some of the lowest forms of life in the medical field, and in some cases the wig peddlers themselves where involved in the procedure.

To my knowledge these procedures are still being performed in places like India, but not here in the U.S.

I’m sure the company that you are asking about has long gone out of business...At least I hope that they have.

When I have more time I’ll write about a similar experience I had in the late 80s.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Red face Thanks

Thank you Spencer. Yes, the frankenstein like thoughts of taking the skin from my legs also was another factor in not getting it done. I look forward to you talking more about it when you have time.