+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Dr. Gabel reply

Adam

Thank you for posting your situation on the forum, which will hopefully provide you with some options and educate others who are in the same boat as you. There are a multitude of reasons why people develop poor results at the donor area from a patient’s own intrinsic ability to heal to the technique that was used to harvest and close the incision. Unfortunately, some people are just more prone to scar then others.

One question I have for you – do you have any other scars or incision sites on your body that have healed well or not healed well? I ask this because if you were to have a scar revision (which gillenator was referring to in doing the scalp exercises to increase your elasticity and remove the scar) I would like to know if your body tends to form larger then normal scars. If that is the case, you have to be very careful to excising the scar as you may end up in the same spot you are in now. If you do heal well after a cut or prior surgical incision, then reducing the scar as much as possible prior to FUE may be in your best interest. Also, did you have FUE done in the entire scar or just a portion of it? You should monitor the results from the FUE into the scar very closely to see if it grows or not.

Steven Gabel, M.D.
    Portland, Oregon
    www.gabelcenter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Gabel, MD View Post
    Adam

Thank you for posting your situation on the forum, which will hopefully provide you with some options and educate others who are in the same boat as you. There are a multitude of reasons why people develop poor results at the donor area from a patient’s own intrinsic ability to heal to the technique that was used to harvest and close the incision. Unfortunately, some people are just more prone to scar then others.

One question I have for you – do you have any other scars or incision sites on your body that have healed well or not healed well? I ask this because if you were to have a scar revision (which gillenator was referring to in doing the scalp exercises to increase your elasticity and remove the scar) I would like to know if your body tends to form larger then normal scars. If that is the case, you have to be very careful to excising the scar as you may end up in the same spot you are in now. If you do heal well after a cut or prior surgical incision, then reducing the scar as much as possible prior to FUE may be in your best interest. Also, did you have FUE done in the entire scar or just a portion of it? You should monitor the results from the FUE into the scar very closely to see if it grows or not.

Steven Gabel, M.D.
    Portland, Oregon
    www.gabelcenter.com
    Thank you Dr. Gabel for your input and the additional points that you made regarding how a patient heals from cuts and lacerations. I remember when I used to work inside the clinic and insisting on having that area evaluation included in the patient's medical history.

In fact, as you no doubt are aware of, some darker pigmented patients can have a disposition to healing with raised scars (keyloiding). Not all but enough to want to discuss this with the patient before making any final decisions about moving forward with surgery. It should be covered with every patient IMHO.

Again, we do not have the benefit of seeing his scar in person, but just from viewing the picture he provided, his scar does not appear raised or even discolored. After observing endless linear scars from HTs for nearly three decades, he does not appear to me to have that issue. From my expereince, very few patients have an issue of healing with wide or raised scars relating to how they heal. His looks very clean, just wide.

These are just my observations from a lay person.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

No one should really know what your scar is from unless they have looked into hair transplant surgery...or have had one.

They sell a scar creme at your local Walgreens for about 20 bucks. It worked for me. I used it on my donor scar when healing...

I had a bad scar on my arm from a tattoo I had removed with a lazer and the creme reduced the pink color very much.

On a lighter note...I worked in an office when I had my transplant done where there was no option of wearing a hat during the recovery.

I told the girls I worked with that I had fell off a peer in the lake and had to get stitches in the back of my head. As far as my frontal hairline...I covered it with my wifes make up and said I had some bad sun burn!!!!

No one knew the better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by caresabouthairs View Post
    No one should really know what your scar is from unless they have looked into hair transplant surgery...or have had one.

They sell a scar creme at your local Walgreens for about 20 bucks. It worked for me. I used it on my donor scar when healing...

I had a bad scar on my arm from a tattoo I had removed with a lazer and the creme reduced the pink color very much.

On a lighter note...I worked in an office when I had my transplant done where there was no option of wearing a hat during the recovery.

I told the girls I worked with that I had fell off a peer in the lake and had to get stitches in the back of my head. As far as my frontal hairline...I covered it with my wifes make up and said I had some bad sun burn!!!!

No one knew the better!!!
    Was it Mederma cream that you used for the scars?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Excellent information Gillenator/Dr. Gabel!!!!

Varonil--- I can appreciate your situation---your story is one that we have heard many, many, unfortunate times. However, there are options--- From the pic you provided, your scar is not overly long, or overly wide and as mid 90's closures go, is not that bad(based on the pic).

However, 150 fue grafts will not make a huge difference in your overall appearance with your head shaved like it is.

It could be the 150 grafts were merely to test the vascularity of your scar tissue and test the potential re-growth of a larger follow-up session----I'm not really sure, so I will just state that I believe 300-350 grafts would provide better camouflage---not to completely eradicate the presence of a scar, but to break it up enough as to render it less of a conversation piece.

Also, if the tissue must be removed, Gillenator is right that a resection can be performed, any grafts removed transplanted to help disguise the old work, and a new scar produced that has a higher likelihood of accepting FUE grafts to disguise it.

Of course, that doesn't help you select the right clinic for you, etc... I would suggest working with Gillenator who is an independent patient advocate and can offer unbiased help--He has helped MANY people in your situation.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by varonil View Post
    Dear Gillenator,

I really appreciate your thoughtful note, and the historic background info on the development of HT techniques. How I wish I would have waited a while longer.. but I was young and "the sky was falling on me" because of hairloss. Being out on a mining site is reason for my delayed reply.

There's a little more to my story. Slightly after the picture was taken I did go to a Dr. Jones (Oakville, Canada) who said he could reduce my scar by about 75% with FUE implants into it. His opinion was that a scar revision had a significant probability of stretching back out. They said they just happened to have an opening the next day (as opposed to a long wait) so I took it. I had 150 grafts put into the scar; that was October 23rd, 2008. I must say the scar does appear a little smaller to me now, but it certainly hasn't diminished 75%. Dr. Jones said to check in with him in March so I will give it some more time.

From what I can gather Dr. Jones seems to have a good reputation and gets a lot of publicity from talks and articles he gives. I will however research other options for additional procedures.

Do you know if having had FUE implants would complicate me from having a scar revision? I guess one good way to find out and get an opinion from another highly reputable doctor.
    Lets just back up a second. Dr. Jones does not have a good reputation at all. He is best known for poor growth and excessively large scars. I had a procedure with him and the results are very poor and the scarring is awful. Jones originally dealt with me by lying to my face reassuring me that my results were normal. I bought this BS from post-op months 6 to 12. Jones originally planned a density of 100 hairs/cm^2 and told me I would have a pencil line scar. At 6 months post-op I was very concerned about the density and he assured me it was now 70 hairs/cm^2. At 1 year post-op Jones again reassured me that the density was 70 hairs/cm^2. After I did some research and realized that my results were well below par I took action. After numerous consultations my density seems to be in the range of 20 hairs/cm^2 and my scar was measured at 6mm (double the width of what is acceptable). I confronted Dr. Jones with these facts and he chose to ignore my emails. He even went to the extent of setting filters on my email (so messages sent would be returned to sender). I chose to picket outside his office. What I learned through all of this is that I WAS NOT ALONE. Dr. Jones has countless patients who have been scarred and given less then desirable results. After weeks of picketing Dr. Jones offered to fix-up the scar and add density to the front. However, all the doctors I consulted with advised me that it would be in my best interest to have a PROFESSIONAL repair the damage that had been done.

As for his opening the next day - this seems quite fitting. All the reputable doctors usually book 3- 4 months in advance.

Best of luck on your future repairs.

That “just so happened to have an opening the next day” pitch is never a good sign. It sounds to me that has preyed on your emotions and went in for the quick kill. How have things worked out for you? Does your scar look any better?

Hi Steven,
    I'm really sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. I just haven't checked this blog out for awhile, and I guess I thought I would get notifications if I had comments.
    I do have stretch marks between my shoulders and biceps from the heavy working out I did in highschool (never used steroids). So perhaps I am prone to scarring. I have got pretty good results from the FUE into the scar and will post those in a few minutes.
    Now what I'd like to do is remove my old hairline grafts and repair the cobblestoning and just keep my head shaved close.
    I will check this blog more regularly now, but can also be reached at acmc75@gmail.com
    Adam

Hi guys,
    Thanks so much for all your input; it is very very valuable to me.
    I'm going to post a few pics of before and after the scar camouflage surgery I had.
    McLovin I am considering going back to Dr. Jones because I am happy with the work, but your unfortunate experience with him makes me pause - I never want to go through the trauma of a bad procedure again. I am open to alternatives so Gillenator perhaps you can drop me a line or some recommendations, again everyone, my direct email is acmc75@gmail.com

so attached is my before picture, and then 2 pictures about 4.5 months later. The later picture may have a couple days more growth than the before picture, but I think the difference is pretty clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 795 (Medium).jpg

Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5747 (Large).JPG

Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5748 (Large).JPG

Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1361  

The name of the scar cream is "Scar Gel" Walgreens brand. The active ingredient is Glyceryl Polymethacrylate.

Check it out, it is worth it.!!