+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Inactive

Post Researchers Accidently Reverse Baldness, Alopecia in Mice

Good news for bald mice: A five-day treatment can restore a silky black coat of fur. But it will be a while before the hair-raising drug -- accidently discovered by University of California, Los Angeles scientists studying gut function -- is ready to be tested in humans.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=12932070

Spencer should totally get the doctor responsible for this study on baldtruth radio!!! Here's the link to his info =)

http://www.cns.med.ucla.edu/Bios/MulugetaM.htm

-Max

Thumbs up

This is an amazing discovery that can have so many applications. Who knows, it might even unlock the mystery of alopecia areata. This is big news!

Hey thats great news.

But the mice were "stressed mice" so clearly they cleared the stress and the hair went back to its normal growth phase - I cant get my head around the importance of this study/research. Clearly if one is stressed and the stress is tackled hair returns to normal (we know that) they have merely stumbled upon ANOTHER mechanism to turn off stress.

Inactive

Red face

I'm about to give up hoping for a cure for (human) hair loss in favor of hoping for a technology that will turn me into a mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    I'm about to give up hoping for a cure for (human) hair loss in favor of hoping for a technology that will turn me into a mouse.
    LOL! Now that was funny!

Alert: Angry Post.

The title is totally misleading - it's just another dressed up storyline aiming to gain a bit of hype amongst the millions suffering from "MPB" I understand stress is a huge factor in many cases of hairloss - anyway - this is not a cure for hairloss - all they have done is turned stressed out mice into mice without any stress and hair grew back, well done - back to Histogen and Acell.

P.S. I hate the way they always chuck in the imaginary carrot: "it'll be here in another 5 years time yadda yadda yadda" - please - cut it out, you can grow new lung tissue, heart valves, bladders and kidneys in the lab & nearly reverse engineer the entire human brain but you can't grow a single hair follicle? tsk!!!!

Seriously I recommend the following title as an adequate replacement:

Stress-blocking drug restores hair in "stressed" bald mice.

LOL@ "cure" - no matter how many times you use the word "might" in the same sentence - I always laugh my ass off when I see that word in any headline - seriously - what have "they" cured? TB is still around, all of the old diseases have simply gone into a state of remission due to our living standards, but still plague the lives of c60% of the planet - they wont cure anything - they dont want to -

CURES ARE BAD FOR BUSINESS.

I just think this is another piece of fluff that they use to fill up time on the news and space in a newspaper. A real waste of time.
    Their energy would be better spent interviewing Gail Naughton and Dr. Craig Zering from Histogen so more investors would see the potential in what they are doing.
    Last edited by mlao; 02-17-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling

"Dr. George Cotsarelis, chairman of the dermatology department at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, said any treatment developed from the research would probably be useful only for hair loss related to stress, likes that caused by one-time events, rather than as a treatment for genetic baldness."

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...eir-fur-again/