+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Inactive

We are not helpless but lazy buddy. Right now everyone should convice the clinics to test and experiment with plucked hairs.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    In all seriousness, I am so sick and tired of the idiotic "Cure for Baldness Discovered!!" headlines that always pop everytime someone makes a new discovery about hair loss. The reality is that it will take years of testing to see if something like this would be an effective hair loss treatment in humans.

From what I've read, pattern baldness is limited to humans and handful of other primates, so it is very hard to conduct animal studies on baldness treatments. That said, I thought one of the unique aspects of this study was that the mice were bred to have pattern baldness, which might make the results more applicable to people.
    TRUE. There have been and still are a lot of "discovery" of "cure for baldness" but no one's ever been "cured" except for the mice.

Alopecia
    Introduction:

Alopecia is the loss of hair. Hair loss can be caused by different reasons, including damage to the hair shaft or follicles. Fungal infections can also cause hair loss. There are two main types of alopecia. Alopecia areata occurs when the body' s immune system attacks hair follicles and causes hair to fall out. Androgenetic alopecia, on the other hand, is an inherited form of hair loss. With alopecia areata, hair can fall out in patches all over the body. With androgenetic alopecia, hair on the head thins and falls out. In men, this is called male pattern hair loss; in women, it is called female diffuse hair loss. About 60% of people with androgenetic alopecia are men. Hair loss caused by androgenetic alopecia is permanent.

Signs and Symptoms:

Symptoms of alopecia may include:

Male pattern hair loss: Thinning or complete loss of hair at the hairline and top of the head.
    Female diffuse hair loss: A gradual thinning of hair, especially on the top of the head. The hairline usually stays the same.
    Alopecia areata: Broken hairs, or hairs easily removed; one or more round or oval bald patches.
    What Causes It?:

Causes may include:

Aging
    Genetics
    Illness
    Some medications (such as chemotherapy)
    Malnutrition
    Autoimmune disorder (alopecia areata)

The topic is very interesting and I know that many people out there are suffering hair loss but for me we can prevent hairloss by proper and healthy diet.

This whole thing is very interesting, but one thing which occurs to me is this: I haven't seen any information on / discussion of the medication's effect on digestive systems of the subject mice. That is what the experiments were intended for.

It is probably not what people are interested in knowing, but I think it would potentially point to a connection between intestinal health and hair loss.

Does anyone else see it this way ? Does anyone know where to find complete information on the results of the experiment ?