+ Reply to Thread

Default Results at 6 months with propecia. long time users plz read

I'm 22 years old with a moderately receded hairline. I definitely did not think propecia was going to improve my hairline, only protect it, but it has definitly thickened it up. I see a lot of new short hairs sprouting up around it, and the dark to light contrast when standing outside of the bathroom shows an increase in darkness at a lower point on my temples in the mirror. (this is how I know for sure it has helped.) This is all after a haircut cut to the same length as just before I started propecia.

However, immediately after starting propecia, I'd say within 1 month, the hair in front and above my ears, and mostly on my left side, has thinned dramatically. I have been shedding a plethora of hairs from this area, and only this area. Very fine, almost invisible hairs have been replacing the beautiful dark healthy strands that have been coming out. After 6 months the damage is showing. If you trace my hairline starting from the back nape of my head, to the front of my ear, by the time you reach the side burn the hair appears much lighter, the hairline is much lighter, and is transparent.

Can anyone tell me if this has happened to them, and whether the hair lost ever returned, or if this is even related to shedding. I will have reached my 6th month on propecia in 10 days.

Thanks

For how long have you been shedding?

Shedding is a good sign, it means newer, thicker hairs will grow in--in a few months after shedding.

If all you do is shed shed and shed during the 6 months of use, then stop it. But you say you saw some growth and then shedding started at the 6month mark, am I correct? If I were I would continue with the treatment. I have 3 months on Finasteride, 2 months on Minoxidil, i'm also 22 years old like you. The day that I see shedding, I will actually be happy, because many doctors/long time users on this forum say shedding is a good thing and a sign that the treatment is working.

I actually feel it's a bad thing that I have seen no shedding, just my hair loss completely stopped which is good. I was shedding 100's of hairs a day but now it just stopped, I can't even notice 1. I heard you're supposed to go through an initial shed when starting a treatment[if you're destined to see regrowth in hairs] but I have yet to see that initial shed, is this a bad thing? I don't know, only time will tell.

Picture please?

Does not sound normal, also doesn't sound propecia induced.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    For how long have you been shedding?

Shedding is a good sign, it means newer, thicker hairs will grow in--in a few months after shedding.

If all you do is shed shed and shed during the 6 months of use, then stop it. But you say you saw some growth and then shedding started at the 6month mark, am I correct? If I were I would continue with the treatment. I have 3 months on Finasteride, 2 months on Minoxidil, i'm also 22 years old like you. The day that I see shedding, I will actually be happy, because many doctors/long time users on this forum say shedding is a good thing and a sign that the treatment is working.

I actually feel it's a bad thing that I have seen no shedding, just my hair loss completely stopped which is good. I was shedding 100's of hairs a day but now it just stopped, I can't even notice 1. I heard you're supposed to go through an initial shed when starting a treatment[if you're destined to see regrowth in hairs] but I have yet to see that initial shed, is this a bad thing? I don't know, only time will tell.
    I never noticed a shed on top of my head, then again I never really counted the hairs coming out from there. The massive shedding going on above my sideburns is what caught my attention. This hair has not returned so far.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    Picture please?

Does not sound normal, also doesn't sound propecia induced.
    My problem looks almost identical to another member of this forum. It looks much like picture in this thread
    the thinning on my sides starts an inch lower than his from his temple points, but goes just as far back on my left side.

I have dirty blond hair vs this gentlemans dark hair. I am 22 years old.

For me it seems this is very much propecia induced, considering the massive shedding started right after I began taking propecia. I wasn't even paying attention to my hair at the time, I just happened to notice the thinned hair sticking out in the sun light at my new job. Didn't even think much of it at the time, but months later, it was visually obvious.

look at my thread results..

i have been on propecia now for 6 months and in that time it's been a trip--shedding began pretty soon after i started taking it and did eventually subside at about the 3.5 month mark. when the big shedds subsided i would say that i was then losing about 100-150 hairs a day which is normal (but not great when you are already thinning). my libido was initially a little stunted as was my ability to get rock hard erections (pardon the term) but we guys know the difference between a good hard one and a so-so one. both problems got better around the 4.5 month mark. however, this week marks 6 months on propecia and once again i am shedding a lot and my libido is pretty low. like you i have read countless blogs and have educated myself as best as i can. it's tough to know what is happening to ones body and if one is responding well or not--i say this because if you don't take photos of your progress how can you really tell? with respect to "morning wood" that, too, come and goes--some mornings i wake up with an erection and some weeks i don't--though all in all it happens less frequently then it did before i got on propecia. even without the effects propecia has on ones hormones, our hormones fluctuate throughout the year making it even more difficult to pin point whether it's propecia or ones body or both...i am going to stick it out for another 6 months and i am taking pictures every month from this point on.

look at my thread results.