Anyone seen a psychiatrist for hairloss depression? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Anyone seen a psychiatrist for hairloss depression?

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone has seen a psychiatrist for depression stemming from hair loss. I've been really down for the past year or so, and my parents have taken notice. I told them that I felt depressed due to my hair loss, and they want me to go see a psychiatrist (not to necessarily prescribe anything, but just to talk). I don't think talking to a psychiatrist will help me at all (unless the psychiatrist can grow hair). I can't imagine someone saying something will make me forget this terrible ordeal, but I guess it's worth a try. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks alot.

Theres no doubt going to hairloss sucks, when i first starting losing my hair last year i became depressed as well and i was only 20. In my search for a quick cure i turned to those retarded provilus pills which were only successful in taken my money. My advise to you is consult a doctor, and stay inform about hairloss, dont go out spending money on stuff that does not work

I currently see a psychiatrist and a counselor. I talk about all my problems to both of them. I even talked about my hair loss. My counselor told me not to worry about it. She said it was a natural thing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
    I currently see a psychiatrist and a counselor. I talk about all my problems to both of them. I even talked about my hair loss. My counselor told me not to worry about it. She said it was a natural thing lol.
    Maybe it's just me, but if a psychiatrist told me that it was a natural thing, and that I shouldn't worry about it, I would stop going to him/her immediately. I understand that it's a natural thing, and I would stop worrying about it if I could. But, I can't, and that's what depression is. If someone can just lift themselves from the depth of despair at will, then a psychiatrist wouldn't be needed anyways.
    I guess I just can't imagine anything the psychiatrist says helping me, but maybe someone who has gone to one can give better insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckerine11 View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but if a psychiatrist told me that it was a natural thing, and that I shouldn't worry about it, I would stop going to him/her immediately. I understand that it's a natural thing, and I would stop worrying about it if I could. But, I can't, and that's what depression is. If someone can just lift themselves from the depth of despair at will, then a psychiatrist wouldn't be needed anyways.
    I guess I just can't imagine anything the psychiatrist says helping me, but maybe someone who has gone to one can give better insight.
    For me seeing a psychiatrist helped a lot. It was not so much about what he thought about my feelings about my hair loss, it was more that I was able to vent my frustrations. I also liked that he would prescribe valium for me.

It was a good experience but after a few months a felt that I didn't need it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    For me seeing a psychiatrist helped a lot. It was not so much about what he thought about my feelings about my hair loss, it was more that I was able to vent my frustrations. I also liked that he would prescribe valium for me.

It was a good experience but after a few months a felt that I didn't need it anymore.
    Sometime I wish I would have spent my money of a good therapist instead of throwing it out the window on Laser treatments for almost a year. I think that anyone who throws their hard earned money away like I did should have their head examined.

Spencer is like a shrink for me. I only wish his show was on more than once per week. My wife is very understanding too and tolerates my whining. I'm very lucky in that respect. I wish /i could just get past my hair and learn to be more thankful for the good things that I have in my life. It's hard though.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserhead View Post
    Sometime I wish I would have spent my money of a good therapist instead of throwing it out the window on Laser treatments for almost a year. I think that anyone who throws their hard earned money away like I did should have their head examined.

Spencer is like a shrink for me. I only wish his show was on more than once per week. My wife is very understanding too and tolerates my whining. I'm very lucky in that respect. I wish /i could just get past my hair and learn to be more thankful for the good things that I have in my life. It's hard though.
    Spencer has been my hair therapist for 11 years and I think this site will be good therapy for us all. So you know I am all for seeing someone if hair loss is interfering with your life. I was lucky to find The Bald Truth early, but who know what kind of condition I would have been in at that age if I didn't find it by chance?

I have often wondered the same thing, "would seeing a psychiatrist help me deal with my hair loss?". I honestly would say that it depends on the individual. I am sure that some people would benefit in certain ways including drugs or just being able to vent but I don't think it would be beneficial for me personally.

My hair loss is a fact, it sucks, I don't like how it looks and I don't think there's any other way to look at it. It does help to talk to people about it, which is why this site is such a positive. I really think that just getting knowledge from all different sources is also helpful.

Another thing that really helped is just knowing that there are a lot of other people with the same feelings. I guess it was reassuring for me that I wasn't the only person going through such a hard time with it.

My advice to you is get as much knowledge as you can on hair loss. Make a decision on whether you want to battle it and from there make decisions on how. I personally have chosen to take propecia, which I started 3 months ago and already notice results. I also plan on getting a HT of 4000-5000 units and I hope that the combination actually makes this seam like a bad dream. Hopefully.

If you have any questions or anything send me a message.

Lefty76