+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maybe paranoia?

Default Maybe paranoia?

Could anyone give me a rough idea of what natural hair loss rate is like? Like if you’re not suffering from MPB? I’m 18 and still have very thick hair with no real signs of thinning but I’m noticing hair falling out and I’m trying to figure out if it’s just paranoia... no other male member of my family has hair loss at any age apart from my mother’s farther who went bald at about 22... I’m just wondering if it’s true that the hair loss gene always comes from the maternal father?

Natural hair loss rates vary. 50-100 per day is quite normal if you have a lot of hair.
    Regarding you maternal grandfather, here's this from Wiki:

Research suggests that the gene for the androgen receptor, which is significant in determining probability for hair loss, is located on the X chromosome and so is always inherited from the mother's side.[21] There is a 50% chance that a person shares the same X chromosome as his maternal grandfather. Because women have two X chromosomes, they will have two copies of the androgen receptor gene while men only have one. However, research has also shown that a person with a balding father also has a significantly greater chance of experiencing hair loss

In reality though it's a complete genetic lottery, like everything else.
    I'd say if your notcing no signs of thinning then it's natural non-mpb hairloss and I would'nt worry about it. Just keep an occasional eye on it and enjoy your life!

Hope that helps.

Everyone's hair loss rate is different, and sheds can occur due to a number of reasons (i.e. stress, the current season you're in, nutritional deficiencies, etc.)

Also, the whole hair loss gene thing from your mom's dad is partly true. From what I know, the trigger for MPB is polygenic, which means multiple genes are involved in and must be present to trigger your MPB. Also, there could be a variability of expression fo those genes, meaning that even if you and I have the same genes activated, we will have different hair loss rates/eventual outcomes because our genes will be expressed in different quantities. Also, hair loss genes are apparently Autosomal Dominant, which means that all you need is one gene, either from mom or dad, in order to be prone to baldness.

Hope that helps.

yeah thanks a lot guys that really helped clear things up for me, just hope i get lucky with this genetic lottery!!