+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 225 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 197 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Samiam View Post
    If they're trying to cure cancer I'm all for them but you can't be telling me this is just some little side project. I mean there should be a company with their full focus on finding out how to cure the genetic defect in MPB, or make a treatment that lets you grow all your hairs back. But like I said if their main goal is getting rid of cancer I'm still rooting for them.
    Au contraire thankfully. As it is such an important product in their pipeline it has to be a success for them to fund, research and grow in order to develop new anti cancer drugs. I think in this instance it works in our favour.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    The thing is, with baldness [lol]... the more you research the disorder the more you realise how complicated an issue it really is. I mean you're talking of trying to generate [create] in the lab or in human scalp tissue over 15,000 separate organs with a multitude of interconnected dynamics, a host of complex pathways that govern a cyclical pattern of growth/rest/shed like clockwork... organs that have been stated to be more complex than some of our more important ones.

It really is a tough road... and to be honest... I dont wish to be a downer here but the more I delve into the years of research the more I feel the 'better treatment' will come from an evolution of transplantation as opposed to a one-shot miracle injection like HST.

Regardless, for those of you who have just started thinning, count yourselves lucky, Samiam I believe you're still in your teens - when I was your age there was literally NOTHING and I mean NOTHING going on... it was a real dark age where one literally only had the choice of either turning to Minoxidil or a hair transplant surgeon you could never review properly.
    I agree and disagree to a certain degree. Although it may be a bit complex, I don't think that it's nearly as complex as it's made out to be. Although hair is considered an organ, it's not nearly as complex to create hair as it is to create other organs like a heart, lungs, or liver. Hell, even ineffective products like minoxidil and finasteride can create hair and those weren't even meant to in the first place. I believe that there has not be a cure/effective treatment for hair loss because not even people are trying to cure it. I am so glad that we have companies like Histogen, Follica, and Replicel, but those are the exceptions. If we had even a total of ten companies trying to develop cures for hair loss then maybe we would have something by now. Some of the pathways that affect hair loss have been identified such as WNT and sonic hedgehog. And certain chemicals have been identified to stimulate hair growth such as Noggin and BMP. I am so glad that Histogen is experimenting with WNT proteins , but if other companies experimented with the sonic hedgehog pathway to stimulate hair growth or Noggin, then I would be a hell of a lot for confident that something will soon be developed to combat hair loss. Hell, we have minoxidil and finasteride now (which are really sorry and ineffective options, IMO) but those weren't even made to combat hair loss in the first place, people just saw that they did minimal things for hair loss as a side effect. So the people who developed minox and fin weren't even trying to cure hair loss in the first place. If we had more companies and people doing things to cure hair loss (and in humans, NOT MICE) then maybe we would have something more effective by now.

I don't believe it's that complicated either. If the ****ers spent more time figuring out how to clone hair instead of cloning sheep and mice we would've put an end to this curse (hair loss) long time ago.

To create one new hair is simple. They've done this already. Embedding dermal papillae can create a fully functioning hair follicle. This is pretty much the route Cooley and Aderans are both exploring. Trying to do this on the scale of 25,000-30,000 hairs may not be so easy, I don't know. Ultimately I believe it will be a case of extracting and multiplying dermal papillae from the donor and embedding them. Refined hairlines my have to be FUE/HST though or perhaps not. Who knows at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    To create one new hair is simple. They've done this already. Embedding dermal papillae can create a fully functioning hair follicle. This is pretty much the route Cooley and Aderans are both exploring. Trying to do this on the scale of 25,000-30,000 hairs may not be so easy, I don't know. Ultimately I believe it will be a case of extracting and multiplying dermal papillae from the donor and embedding them. Refined hairlines my have to be FUE/HST though or perhaps not. Who knows at this point.
    I might sound stupid, excuse me I'm young , but if you can create one fully functioning hair follicle, why would it be so much harder to do it again 25,000-30,000 times.

Quote Originally Posted by still_in_denial View Post
    Hey guys I had emailed Histogen to find out about the clinical trials and when they would start, this is the reply I received.

Thank you for your continued interest. Although HSC continues to progress, we are not releasing any details about the Singapore clinical trial at this time. We do look forward to sharing the preliminary results of that trial in the coming months.

Thank you, and hope you are well.
    Eileen

Does anyone think this means we should have some news really soon like this year or maybe early next year?
    Oh, good! This is at least something. I had begun to worry that they had almost closed shop...:P I think Q1 next year will be the time to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by Samiam View Post
    I might sound stupid, excuse me I'm young , but if you can create one fully functioning hair follicle, why would it be so much harder to do it again 25,000-30,000 times.
    I think it could be an issue of efficiency, consistency, quality and growth direction. Dr. Cooley has to use a lot of plucked hairs to create new ones. The success rate is not so high but it's getting better. It just seems not to work every time unfortunately. Same can be said of HST, not every graft provides adequate dermal papillae. As yet we do not know the efficiency and consistency of the cell based approaches. We know Aderans and Replicel have had some success but we don't know much else. Maybe they multiply a load of DP or DSC and only say 10 or 20% that are injected form fully functioning cosmetic hair follicles. It could be much higher and more efficient but we just don't know at this stage.

Of course one day it will be well refined.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    Oh, good! This is at least something. I had begun to worry that they had almost closed shop...:P I think Q1 next year will be the time to watch out for.
    I know... Thank GOD...

I dont know what lengths i'd go to get my hands on a treatment like this - i'd sell my house, my car everything for one shot even if it gives me 5 years.

I totally hear ya; I would spend ridiculous amounts of money to get back my full head of hair; or even get enough hair back so that I can look good in photos again. I would absolutely trade anything for a full head of hair. My job, my car, my nice apartment...........I would trade all of that in a second to have my hair back, and I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    I don't believe it's that complicated either. If the ****ers spent more time figuring out how to clone hair instead of cloning sheep and mice we would've put an end to this curse (hair loss) long time ago.
    The desperation is almost visible. It's like I could reach out and touch it.

To say that a cure for balding is not complicated is just a nieve and stupid. To say that the scintists spend too much time testing this stuff on mice is unbelievably out of touch with reality.