+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 225 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 141 ... LastLast

Wow! Out of nowhere haha. Thanks Doc Z

Quote Originally Posted by Hurts View Post
    We've known the cause for cancer for decades, yet there still isn't a proper cure. With hair loss, we kind of know the cause thanks to recent studies (I mean the faulty stem cell issue), we definiately dont know about hair as much as we do about cancer. So expecting a cure so would be a bit optimistic unfortunately

But I could be and probably am wrong.
    People always bring up cancer, I'm not a doc or scientist but it just don't seem like a good comparison. I assume cancer is way more complicated. Even a crap drug like Propecia has done wonders for people and studies for hair loss have been minimal. I hope it's not like cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurts View Post
    We've known the cause for cancer for decades, yet there still isn't a proper cure. With hair loss, we kind of know the cause thanks to recent studies (I mean the faulty stem cell issue), we definiately dont know about hair as much as we do about cancer. So expecting a cure so would be a bit optimistic unfortunately

But I could be and probably am wrong.
    Have we "known the cause [of] cancer for decades"? We know some of the genes involved; we know what happens to cells, and some ways in which to try to target the neoplastic ones; we know a number of carcinogens. That's reallly about it, isn't it? We don't know exactly why cancer happens to spontaneously develop in people, and we haven't any sound measures of prophylaxis.

As for hairloss, I hear a lot about D.H.T., but I'd be surprised if that turned out to be the sole cause of androgenic alopecia: D.H.T. is an endogenous product of testosterone in all human beings, yet not all of them go bald; further, it hits all hair follicles, yet only some permanently disappear. Finasteride inhibits 5-alpha reductase, thus preventing the catalysis of testosterone to D.H.T., and it seems to do a pretty good job of it; yet Propecia hardly "halts" baldness, in most men — even when it works, it seems to just help slow it down.

Ultimately, I don't feel we know a tremendous amount about either of these two phenomena, yet, and that what we do know is of reasonable, but very limited, clinical utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Craig Ziering View Post
    2014/15 or as soon as possible
    So if all goes well there's no chance for 2013? I thought I remember hearing it was possible. I guess too much time was waisted and trials won't be done by that time, I'm assuming. Man I wish it was 2013.

I’m just as anxious as the next guy looking for a better treatment, however I have a hard time believing Histogen is wasting time, time is money after all, and I’m sure they would like to have a safe and effective product on the market sooner rather than later, in fact completing the trials in Asia proves this. Let’s hope it does not take too long to recruit study participants and that Dr. Ziering keeps us informed of the results as the study progresses.

I don't know why it would take time to recruit participants ... we would all help them tomorrow morning if we could.

I’m sure allot of us would like to help, however I’d suspect the criteria for clinical trials is quite strict. For example they may want to screen out anyone what may have something other than androgenic alopecia (other types of alopecia’s), certain age groups, certain NW patterns, pre-existing medical conditions, past treatments (Propecia, Minox, HT) and so on. They would also need to find participants that would not hold they liable if issues or complications were to arise.

That said I’d agree with you in general, it probably 'should not' take a long time, but things always seem to take longer than one would reasonably expect.

Well of course I want safety first, that's why I said assuming everything went well. I meant time wasted, like the problems they had financially. The trials were supposed to start in 2010. I just want everything to go well. Waiting sucks.

it just means it wont be ready by 2014/2015 lol. well at least we'll know if plucked cloning will work by end of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    it just means it wont be ready by 2014/2015 lol. well at least we'll know if plucked cloning will work by end of this year.
    Will we? Has Dr. Bernstein yet begun working on his study? Even if he has, I'd think it would be about halfway into 2012 before the results became available (that is, if the world doesn't end... — ).