+ Reply to Thread
Page 200 of 225 FirstFirst ... 100 150 190 198 199 200 201 202 210 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 2248

Latanoprost is an older drug than bimatoprost, in fact the patent has already expired so it's available generic.

Latanoprost is also, I believe, the drug that was tested on macaque monkeys with MPB, some years ago now.

It's one of those drugs that's been around for years and but never made it on to the market for MPB, presumably because of the belief its effectiveness is limited and it would cost too much to get it through trials.

One of the depressing, constant themes of hair loss drug development. So many drugs offer more potential than minox or fin but are never developed for commercial reasons, so we're stuck with those two dinosaurs.

Hopefully the bimatoprost results are positive and Allergan rush to Phase III, knowing they will have Histogen breathing down their necks. I personally believe bimatoprost is the only new treatment we've got a chance of seeing this side of 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post
    so we're stuck with those two dinosaurs.
    Lol yeh an one of them's a T-Rex that'll bite off yr dick if you're lucky enough.

I always thought Bimatoprost works in the same way as Minox - does it force hairs to shed initially like minox?

Hey UK how's the Minox going? Been on it some time now, if still using it?

Pate, Good Info. I guess I didn't read the article closely enough as I assumed the clinical trial was conducted by Allergan but their clinical trial is with Bimatoprost. I agree that this looks like next most likely advance to reach the market

Here is small bit of research supporting that perspective:

http://dermatology-s10.cdlib.org/93/...ecia/wolf.html
    "Even though scalp hair follicles and eyelash follicles are not identical, and one cannot simply extrapolate from a drug's effect on one type of hair to another, we believe that a powerful hair stimulant that acts on one type of hair should act on other types as well. Several of the above-mentioned experimental studies support the stimulating effects of PG analogs on hairs other than eyelashes (i.e., scalp hair and body fur). Furthermore, if the proposed mechanism of minoxidil action is indeed through its stimulating effect of PGE2 synthesis, then one should ask why we need to stimulate the synthesis of PG if we can use it directly? Minoxidil (which has been used by women to thicken their eyelashes and to treat alopecia areata of this area) showed inferior results on eyelash growth than those described for latanoprost. Minoxidil and finasteride must be used continuously to sustain results, and, once discontinued, the natural balding process resumes. PG analogs have a much more powerful and longer-lasting effect.[18]"

Also, it appears that Bimatoprost may be more effective than Latanoprost with respect to hair growth...there was actually a study comparing the two:
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00187577 (Comparison of Latanoprost vs Bimatoprost re eyelash growth)

Not sure if this refers to the same study but sounds like there might be quite a difference:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2861943/
    "In a 3-month bimatoprost versus latanoprost trial, eyelash growth was more common in the bimatoprost group (13% bimatoprost vs. 4% latanoprost)"

Best news I heard all week. Thanks for sharing.

Hmm, is it possible that Bim for hair loss would be so powerful that we wouldn't need to use Fin with it? I. e. would it be able to maintain hair for a very long time? And what year is it expected to hit the market?

Quote Originally Posted by PinotQ View Post
    Pate, Good Info. I guess I didn't read the article closely enough as I assumed the clinical trial was conducted by Allergan but their clinical trial is with Bimatoprost. I agree that this looks like next most likely advance to reach the market

Here is small bit of research supporting that perspective:

http://dermatology-s10.cdlib.org/93/...ecia/wolf.html
    "Even though scalp hair follicles and eyelash follicles are not identical, and one cannot simply extrapolate from a drug's effect on one type of hair to another, we believe that a powerful hair stimulant that acts on one type of hair should act on other types as well. Several of the above-mentioned experimental studies support the stimulating effects of PG analogs on hairs other than eyelashes (i.e., scalp hair and body fur). Furthermore, if the proposed mechanism of minoxidil action is indeed through its stimulating effect of PGE2 synthesis, then one should ask why we need to stimulate the synthesis of PG if we can use it directly? Minoxidil (which has been used by women to thicken their eyelashes and to treat alopecia areata of this area) showed inferior results on eyelash growth than those described for latanoprost. Minoxidil and finasteride must be used continuously to sustain results, and, once discontinued, the natural balding process resumes. PG analogs have a much more powerful and longer-lasting effect.[18]"

Also, it appears that Bimatoprost may be more effective than Latanoprost with respect to hair growth...there was actually a study comparing the two:
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00187577 (Comparison of Latanoprost vs Bimatoprost re eyelash growth)

Not sure if this refers to the same study but sounds like there might be quite a difference:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2861943/
    "In a 3-month bimatoprost versus latanoprost trial, eyelash growth was more common in the bimatoprost group (13% bimatoprost vs. 4% latanoprost)"
    Does this mean that we don't have to use this permanently.

The other thing is:

We can get bitmoprost online, why not experiment with that?

This stuff is expensive like hell. 2000$ for a gram!! 3ml bottle of Latisse 0.03% costs around 100$. If you were to apply it on the whole head, it would last 1 day! I hope when they'll reach the mass market, the price for the ready product will be considerably lower.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisB View Post
    This stuff is expensive like hell. 2000$ for a gram!! 3ml bottle of Latisse 0.03% costs around 100$. If you were to apply it on the whole head, it would last 1 day! I hope when they'll reach the mass market, the price for the ready product will be considerably lower.
    Latisse is not marketable to people with MPB at that price, and they know it. Especially considering that you can currently buy it at that price, and almost no one with MPB is. The going theory is that they will change production scale and lower the price to as much as they think people will pay for it, which is probably true. That's how the free market typically works.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Latisse is not marketable to people with MPB at that price, and they know it. Especially considering that you can currently buy it at that price, and almost no one with MPB is. The going theory is that they will change production scale and lower the price to as much as they think people will pay for it, which is probably true. That's how the free market typically works.
    The problem is, what is stopping people who use for their eye lashes to buy the MPB version - given it is cheaper?