+ Reply to Thread
Page 127 of 225 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 125 126 127 128 129 137 177 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 2248

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post
    It may be that 2mm is the average figure and for some reason, Subjects 009 and 027 had a much wider radius of effect, or the 2mm figure could just be incorrect, although this is second time I've seen it in from them. Either way, 25 hairs in a 2mm radius means two things - HSC will effectively restore full hair density, but you will need a very large number of injections.
    Well first off, I'm gonna make it very clear that maths was never my strongest subject, but I'm gonna give this a go anyways...

Looking at the subject photos that have an actual size scale on them like this one:
    [IMG]http://www.*************/hair-loss/img/uploaded/1_image776.jpg[/IMG]

You can clearly see the 2mm scale in the bottom right of each image, so assuming that the 2mm scale in the photos actually does represent 2mm scale correctly then the area of scalp shown in that picture is approximately 15mm across.

If a 4mm diameter results in 25 hairs then by my shoddy maths (anyone is free to show me how I've calculated this wrong) but a 15mm area would produce an average of 93.75 hairs (4mm x 3.75 = 15mm, so 25 hairs x 3.75 area increase = 93.75 hairs).

In the patient above he actually has 97.5 more hairs after 5 months (433 - 335.5)within a 15mm area of his scaslp so that 2mm = 25 new hairs figure actually seems correct. Assuming again i'm working this out right....

If they only did one injection per site though as I thought they had, then I have no idea where these findings are coming from spread over such an area. It seems the 25 hairs per 2mm radius may be right, but this area of positive effect being 2mm i can't see considering the posted results so far. Unless they did more than one injection or something?

We got 15mm x 15mm which mean 2,25cm². We got 97,5 additional hairs after treatment. 97,5 / 2,25 = 43,3. That means about 43,4 hairs per cm².
    But you can't really calculate it in this way, because that guy already has hairs, but if we involve his existing hair, that guy reached about 192 hairs per cm².
    Should be enough I think.
    So if I'm not wrong this is a success because it's not about the amount of regrown hair, it's about the total amount of hair. HSC job is not to create new follicles, it's job is to "reactivate" inactive hairfollicles. Since this guy already had 148 hairs per cm², he almost reached 200 hairs per cm² what actually means he almost "reactivated" most of his follicles. I may understand this whole thing in a wrong way, but this seems logical to me, haha.

Anyone know or predict how much this will cost when/if it comes out? hopefully less than how much a HT costs..

Quote Originally Posted by jak385 View Post
    You can clearly see the 2mm scale in the bottom right of each image, so assuming that the 2mm scale in the photos actually does represent 2mm scale correctly then the area of scalp shown in that picture is approximately 15mm across.
    Good find. So the 2mm figure is clearly not right for everybody because that subject has clearly put on hair over a much larger area than a 2mm radius circle.

Quote Originally Posted by jak385 View Post
    If a 4mm diameter results in 25 hairs then by my shoddy maths (anyone is free to show me how I've calculated this wrong) but a 15mm area would produce an average of 93.75 hairs (4mm x 3.75 = 15mm, so 25 hairs x 3.75 area increase = 93.75 hairs).
    Your maths is not quite right for a couple of reasons including the fact that the 15mm figure is a square, not a circle. So a 4mm diameter is 0.125 sq cm as I said earlier, and 15x15mm square is 2.25 sq cm. In other words, 18 times bigger area. As krewel said 100 hairs in 2.25 sq cm is about new 40 hairs per sq cm but we don't actually know what the radius of effect was - Histogen said 2mm but that looks clearly wrong in those photos.

Also this is obviously one of the better results. Also, most of those 100 new hairs were vellus at 5 months, though from previous results released we know there was a bit of a quiet period at 5 months and things looked better at 12 months.

Long story short, HSC isn't looking like a silver bullet yet. Most guys who are noticeably thinning are going to need at LEAST a 100% increase in terminal hair count to count as 'cured'. But it's still early days and these results were from only a single injection.

We still have to look forward to:

1. Multiple adjacent injections (currently happening)
    2. Follow up injections (currently happening)
    3. Dose ranging study - higher HSC concentration might help
    4. Possible further tweaking of the mixture.

So it's not time to celebrate yet but there are grounds for cautious optimism IMO. As for cost, if it was just one set of injections I'd think it would be a fair bit cheaper than a HT. Certainly it shouldn't be more expensive, the companies involved in this field are all hinting it should be cheaper (mainly because it will be quicker and not require so many people). But obviously if we need two or three sets of injections that will drive up the cost.

And we'd probably need to get it re-done because the effect will eventually wear off. Naughton thinks it will last potentially decades, but I'm not sure (and neither is she for that matter!).
    Last edited by Pate; 10-16-2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: addressed GreatSage's question :)

I wasn't able to tune in to the show tonight, did Spencer mention anything about new information and/or an interview with Histogen?

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    I wasn't able to tune in to the show tonight, did Spencer mention anything about new information and/or an interview with Histogen?
    Anyone? or was there no show this week? can't find the podcast...

Inactive

If there would be something groundbreaking we would already hear those segments

Quote Originally Posted by RichardDawkins View Post
    If there would be something groundbreaking we would already hear those segments
    One could say the same about Gho mate. At least in the context of this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by uninformed View Post
    Anyone? or was there no show this week? can't find the podcast...
    I'm not sure but I don't think there was a show last Sun. I checked at 7:15 pm and there was nothing on . So I dont think he was on.

Inactive

This is Histogen land and not Gho land anyway Gho has been on this show alrady