+ Reply to Thread

Default Transplant Advice Please!

I currently wear a hair piece and have done so for quite a few years, which i am more than happy with as i am realistic with my density and receding features which really help with the detectability factor.
    My problem is now that the side temple area(the pointy part above the ear) is thinning quite a bit.
    Has anyone had a transplant done in this area to help rectify the situation?
    I have heard that body hair can be used? would this be more suitable for this region as the hair i think is finer in texture there and chest/stomach hair might be the answer to that?
    If so how did the transplant work out? and what procedure and surgeon is recommended?

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by long time bald View Post
    I currently wear a hair piece and have done so for quite a few years, which i am more than happy with as i am realistic with my density and receding features which really help with the detectability factor.
    My problem is now that the side temple area(the pointy part above the ear) is thinning quite a bit.
    Has anyone had a transplant done in this area to help rectify the situation?
    I have heard that body hair can be used? would this be more suitable for this region as the hair i think is finer in texture there and chest/stomach hair might be the answer to that?
    If so how did the transplant work out? and what procedure and surgeon is recommended?

Thank you in advance!
    Please allow me to address the body hair issue first. To date, BH is still very inconsistent with results, and I am referring more to poor regrowth/yield than anything. For most, BH should only be considered as a last donor resort and even then should be initially approached on a test basis rather than to committing to larger sessions.

Correct me if I am wrong however it appears that you still intend to wear your hair system yet your goal then is to increase the density of your rim due to its thinning? That way the thinning area will not be as noticable as it meets the density of the hair system.

If I am reading your comments/goal correctly, then why not simply use FUE grafts from your scalp whereby the regrowth/yield would be more consistent. It would also be far cheaper per graft compared to the cost of BH.

What are your thoughts about that?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks for the reply.
    Regarding body hair i was wondering whether it was a viable option yet?
    You are correct that i want the density sorted regarding the side hair,more so at the pointy temple part where it has decreased considerably, in fact it is almost non existant!
    I can get away with it at present but i would like to sort that out in the future at some point.
    The reason i am looking at the FUE procedure is that i don't want to have any major scaring and for the area i want it for it would be silly to want to harvest so much hair which would be unnesessary.
    My remaining hair is still quite thick elsewhere(sides/back) but obviously the top of my head is too much a large area to fill in with transplants and as i said i am very happy wearing so that is not an issue with me.
    The added advantage to that would be at some point in the future when i am old and grey i could ditch the hair piece altogether and as i have only had the side parts transplanted then it wouldn't look out of place and be quite natural.

If you're happy to wear a hairpiece indefinitely then there's no reason why you shouldn't make use of however many grafts it takes to ensure that it blends well with your own hair for a more natural appearance. As you probably know, missing hair at the sides/temple points can be a giveaway that an advanced balding pattern lurks beneath what appears to be a full head of hair. Like you say, with FUE you won't have to think about the donor scar, and the result of the transplant will continue to look natural even if you decide to ditch the hairpiece in the future.

As Gillenator said, there's no need to look at your body hair for this. Even a scalp donor region with fewer than average grafts available should have a sufficient supply for your needs. There shouldn't be any technical reasons why you can't proceed with this. It'll be a fairly small procedure and the supply and demand concerns for future donor needs are essentially non-existent in your case.
    Last edited by mattj; 02-11-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

ltb,

Because you are commited to wearing your hair system, I also sense that you would not be exhausting your scalp donor. At least if you do have advanced thinning and loss in your rim, you can always completely shave your scalp without a strip scar showing. Obviously this would be in the event that you would not wear your system any longer.

You have a much better chance of a superior yield from scalp donor versus using body hair. Plus it will blend into the area better than BH. BH could come out in a different texture or characteristic that could cause eye drift. I doubt that would happen with your own scalp donor.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin