+ Reply to Thread

Default It's just too early, too early.

I remember, when I was 10, and knocked a vase over, my dad was so annoyed, he said the words the majority of you still hear in your nightmares, he told me MPB is hereditary, and Men on his side always go bald. He did say, around the age of forty though, and guess what? I've got very little hair left. AND I'M 14! I get teased allot, and I can't deal with it, my girlfriend dumped me when the first signs started to show, and haven't had one in over a year because of it. I can't really engage in banter, because everyone just reverts to my hair. I'm worried, I won't ever get married, or have children. I have to admit, I do cry allot about it, I'm too young for conventional methods, and I've tried everything else in the book. I seems my loyal friends don't really like my presence, and people just taunt me when I try to make new friends. I have to admit, I've felt suicidal, although, really extreme, sometimes you skip to them steps. People say, shave it! Shave it! But I can't, I tried shaving it, but they took the mick MORE!

I just think that if people were less cruel, I'd get over it, but, I need someone to talk me out of doing anything stupid.

Default Don't do anything stupid!!!!

There is no doubt that 14 is very young to be dealing with hair loss, but there are many men who started at your young age who figured out how to live a happy and productive life. Do not do anything stupid and stick around this forum, I’m sure there will be other people who come out to give you advice. You should listen to Spencer Kobren and call his show on Sunday nights. It’s been great therapy for me and I have heard callers your age reach out to him. He has a way of putting everything into perspective and helping us all.

stay strong bro. It's tough at your age. I too started losing early, at 16 I had a visibly receded hairline and people would give my newspaper cutouts with adverts for hair loss treatments and then run away laughing. People your age can be cruel, but that's because everyone is insecure and so they mock anybody that's different.

Everything will change, I promise you. At your age everybody just wants to fit in, fast forward to 21 and you will find that everybody wants to be different.

In terms of practical advice, I would say start hitting the gym, put on some muscle, take out some frustration and anger.

This will make you stronger, I promise you. You get through this and you will be so much more confident. if you can take this on, you can take on anything.

Another tip, the older you get the less it is about looks and the more things have to do with confidence and the way you carry yourself.

Easier said than done to say don't let it get you down, but seriously, get through it and you will be fine. It's just hard to accept when your body is changing and its out of your control, makes you feel powerless, but just like you got used to that awkward gangliness that comes with a growth spurt, and the breaking voice, and the appearance of the first signs of facial hair, you will get more comfortable with your hair as you go on.

Wishing you all the best.

To the original poster...I feel for you man. My words of advice mimic what has been said above. Keep your head up. 14 is a tough age for anyone. I suggest you stick around these forums. Like others have mentioned, I truly think shaving or clipping your hair close definitely helps. Although you are really young...work on the things you can change: confidence, outlook, personality, physique, dress, hygiene, etc...let me know if you ever need to talk.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I agree with the previous posters. Keep your hair very short to make hair loss or thinning less obvious. Try to maintain a high level of self confidence. People can sense insecurity in another and at your age prey on it. Do not give them the satisfaction by reacting to their immaturity. Unfortunetly, things like this make some people have to grow up faster. It is totally unfair that young people even have problems like yours. But on the other hand there are many young people with cancers and other diseases that goes way beyond unfair.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

You say you've got very little hair left. Is this an exaggeration or is your hairloss really that advanced? Have you looked at the Norwood scale? Google it and see where you fit.

Although it's not unheard of for guys to start the male pattern balding process at your age, it is quite rare and it seems only reasonable to investigate whether there are other causes for your hairloss, just to be sure, even though MPB is the most likely culprit.

You haven't mentioned how long your hairloss has been noticeable. You've been given words of wisdom by the guys already but I'll add that the teasing you get from people at school will die down when they get used to seeing you. The way you react to the taunts will play a big part in how bad they are and how long they last, and you at least have some control over that.
    Last edited by mattj; 02-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Default I feel your pain...

I feel your pain.. I'm going through the same shit, and I'm 17. I started to lose my hair at 15. I've always been about my hair, and people knew me by my long, thick, shiny, perfect hair. Now it's thin, gross, and hard as hell to maintain I thought I was alone, 15 years old and balding.. Are you sure it's MPB? I know mine is.. Unfortunately.. But maybe you can see a doctor, make sure it's not a hormonal problem. Think positive, stay positive, a cure is not to far away. You can PM me to talk whenever you like, since I was around your age and started balding. I feel like crying myself right now, because of re-living all the suicidal parts of it all.. I still am suicidal sometimes over it, but I try not to be. Not as much as I used to be.. Dude, you're not alone. It sucks, yes. But you're young as hell, so one day you will have all of it back. Think about it, even if these critics who say "MPB cure is like 10 years away" you'll only be 24 when it's out TOPS. Who knows, maybe a cure will be out in late 2011, or 2012. You never know. Science is crazy, and discoveries for cures are usually found on accident.

Hang in there man.. We're all going through the same, horrible thing..

Guys, I can't really do much besides say I'm sorry that you have to deal with shit like that. You'll realize that there is life after high school, when people realize that being a dick doesn't exactly work in the real world. If I were you two, I would work out as much as I can during these years, get buff as hell, and make a mess of anyone who wants a word! Stay strong, heart and mind!