+ Reply to Thread

Default Introduction--27 y.o.

Greetings!

I've been reading posts on the forum for sometime, but have yet to take the plunge in posting until today. Here is my story of follicular follies...

I guess I first noticed my receding hairline in my early twenties (20, 21). It was most pronounced at the temples, but I started growing my hair long and shaggy to cover it up--it really wasn't noticeable at all. A couple years later I was finding that I was spending more and more time in the morning trying to craft my long hair in place to cover up the receding temples. I also found myself more conscious of it during the day (i.e., if it was a windy day I would be anxious to go outside without a hat). It was at this time (age 23) I started taking propecia.

I was generally pleased with the results on propecia--I can't say I grew noticeable hair back, but it seemed to abate the linear course of the hair loss. About two years late (age 25), I decided to shave my head totally bald, to see if this was a look that I could live with in case the hair loss continued to a level of my father's (He's like a Norwood VI). I actually kinda liked the shaved look, and wore it for about a year. Other people were split on it, some loved it, others hated it, and truth be told, I would have preferred to have hair.

I recently started to grow my hair back out in the fall of 2010. I don't think I've lost much since starting propecia over 4 years ago, but there has been a mild progression of loss in the hairline/temples, and a slight thinning on top.

I've decided to seek a consultation for FUT with Dr. Bernstein in NYC. The appointment is later this week and I'm both excited and quite nervous as well. If I had to dx myself with a Norwood scale, I'd say in between a II and III.

As much as I'd like to think that I can have just one procedure to my hairline and I'll be set, I think it's quite likely that I'll continue to thin on top, and any transplant to the hairline would likely need to be supplemented with an additional transplant to the top (at some point)...but I'm not the expert, and I'm eagerly awaiting to hear Dr. Bernstein's thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who shares their stories on the forum and providing each other with support! I'll update as things progress.

BH

Having a hair transplant is a very serious step. There are a couple of issues that you have to be completely comfortable with. The first is that once you have the procedure you will no longer be able to shave your head unless you are comfortable with revealing your donor scar. Second you have to be prepared to have at least two surgeries in case you are not satisfied with the coverage of the first. Dr. Bernstein is one of the best. When I read Spencer Kobren’s book a couple of years ago it seemed like Dr. Bernstein was the go to guy and the person responsible for perfecting some of today's hair transplant techniques, so I am sure he will tell you if you make a good candidate for a hair transplant or not, and what to expect.

Good luck with your consultation with Dr. Bernstein. Please post your thoughts and his recommendations after your meeting, I am thinking of seeing him as well and would be very interested in hearing more about your experience. Good Luck.

I think that's an excellent idea that you shaved your head when you still had enough hair and had it shaggy (which I do now). I haven't shaved my head before and I try to cover my thinning (don't know how successfully) with long hair but I'm a little scared that if I shave it I will reveal how balding I really am.

Update:

Well, looks like I'm not a candidate for a HT, at least not yet. I was told that I looked "great", and that my current hairline is where the hairline is typically set for HTs, so that I wouldn't really have any gain, especially when factoring in shock loss and shedding. The good news is that I have really dense donor hair and good scalp elasticity, so that I will be a good HT candidate when I lose more hair. Dr. Bernstein also gave me a Rx for 2mg of finastride (I had been on just 1mg). He also suggested I try minoxidil 5%, but I'm a bit worried about shedding associated with that. He was hopeful that I could maintain what I have over the next 2 (and up to 5 years), which would be great. He said to come back in 2 years and we'll reassess. He also alluded to "new technologies" that may be around in that time. Not sure exactly what he was referring to, maybe Acell? So, all in all, I have mixed feelings. I'm happy that he thinks my hair looks "great" and that I could maintain it for a couple more years, and at the same time I was a little disappointed that I couldn't have my hairline lowered a tad. I'm still glad I got the consultation though.

Another update:

I met with Dr. Cooley recently and had a great experience. He is very easy to talk to, very patient-focused, and of course is highly skilled. He thinks I am a good candidate for HT, and apparently I have great donor hair (like 99th percentile density). We worked collaboratively, and designed a plan to lower my hairline ever so slightly, but making it more of a straight line across (my receding temples are the biggest problem). So we're looking at between 1,200 to 1,500 grafts. I'm scheduled for surgery in a couple months and I'm quite excited. Based on my consultation, I'm very please with Dr. Cooley. I will keep y'all updated as things progress (and hopefully not recess).

BH

Quote Originally Posted by kanyon View Post
    I think that's an excellent idea that you shaved your head when you still had enough hair and had it shaggy (which I do now). I haven't shaved my head before and I try to cover my thinning (don't know how successfully) with long hair but I'm a little scared that if I shave it I will reveal how balding I really am.
    Yaaaaaaah !!!!!!! I think you are absolutely right,,,thanks for sharing that,,,,,

What happened between Feb and March to make you go from being " not " a good candidate to now being a good candidate

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    What happened between Feb and March to make you go from being " not " a good candidate to now being a good candidate
    I don't think anything changed. Rather, I simply received two varying opinions from respected docs. My take is that Dr. Bernstein took a conservative approach. Note that he didn't say I wasn't a good candidate, just not right now (i.e., too young, but that I would be in a few years, if I still desired a HT). Dr. Cooley has a different take on it, one in which I subscribe to.

You sound like you've done your research and are in the correct frame of mind, and as your hairloss has progressed quite slowly (despite starting quite early), you are probably in good shape to have a transplant. Good luck with everything.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com